or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

In that big paragraph of text... you forgot one key aspect of Apple's definition of "Retina" displays..... DISTANCE.It's not simply the number of pixels... it's both pixel density AND the viewing distance at which you cannot see the individual pixels. Whether or not you subscribe to that theory... that's what Apple said.I'll let Steve explain it:It's been almost 2 years since Apple introduced the term "Retina" into the tech vocabulary... the least you could do is learn...
Oh I know you can get an HP or Dell laptop in the $1200-1800 range.My point was... if you want a 15" laptop from Apple.... it starts at $1800.Other 15" laptops start at 1/3 of that price.I do think Mac laptops are a good value for the money... when you consider OSX, iLife, build quality and all that jazz. I recommend Macs to people whenever I can (and if they can afford them)But I was saying that the volume sellers for HP and Dell are much cheaper. I imagine their most...
True.. but HP and Dell's volume sellers are $500-600 laptops. Even sales of their own Ultrabooks pale in comparison to sales of their regular ol' laptops.I'm sure Apple's "Retina" laptops will look amazing... but $1,200 for a 13" and $1,800 for a 15" is still a premium price for a laptop.That's not really a market HP and Dell goes after anyway.
Why would it be "competing" with the Kindle Fire? Apple might just wanna cover its bases and make more products available.The original iPod was $399.... but Apple eventually offered an iPod Shuffle at $49. Was that out of desperation? Was Apple really worried about the Sansa Clip?Apple has laptops from 11" to 17"... iMacs in 21" and 27"I guarantee if Apple makes 2 sizes of iPads... people will buy the hell out of them! Don't worry... Apple won't end up like the other...
Gateway sold TVs too... about 10 years ago. I took this screenshot in 2002.Back then... large flatscreens started in the multi-thousand dollar range and were considered luxury items. Fun fact: that Gateway plasma was actually a disrupter... it was priced below other plasmas at the time. $3000 was a "bargain"But today... flatscreen TVs are pretty common and affordable.I doubt Apple would make a TV that costs too much.... not with their phones, tablets and MP3 players...
This article got me thinking... 20 months at $90 a month.... that's $1800. Minus the $400 subsidy... that leaves $1400... per customer... for the length of a contract. Has anyone ever done a breakdown of where that money goes? We know text messages are a scam and don't cost very much at all... and voice shouldn't either by now. Plus... most people don't come anywhere close to their data cap... so that's money in their pockets too. How much of my $90 a month goes to...
Correct... and "Android phones" is made up of tons of models from a dozen different manufacturers.This article is good news for Apple in Japan... which is a highly competitive mobile phone market... and one that people thought Apple would never have decent sales in.Can't you be happy for Apple on this Apple forum?
Who's talking about confusing customers?I think a lot of us here just feel sad for HP...His comment "In no way did HP try to mimic Apple... in life there are a lot of similarities" isn't really helping them there.Maybe they didn't "try" to mimic Apple... but they sure succeeded.And I also think the Envy/Macbook Pro comparison is valid as well.If HP existed in a vacuum... and they had never seen any Apple laptops before... then I'd say it was pure coincidence.But no... what...
I had a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple store in Charlotte, NC at 10am one morning. There were quite a few people in the Apple store at that time... while the rest of the mall was a ghost town. This is what I could easily identify: - a group of 7 people in the back of the store taking a class - a husband and wife meeting with a Genius having new software installed on their Macbook - a guy brought in his iMac and was meeting with a Genius about something to do with...
Who are we to say Adobe charges too much for their products? Photoshop has been $700 for decades. If you're a TWiT listener... a running joke is saying something costs an "Alex" ($700, the price of Photoshop)Nobody has challenged Adobe yet. There are plenty of cheaper software packages... but they aren't a good replacement for Adobe's offerings.I just looked up Adobe's financials... they had over $4 billion in revenue last year... and a profit of over $800 million.Do we...