or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

I wasn't talking about the tech... I meant the actual use of the stylus. Earlier tablet PCs had a stylus... but they didn't exactly take the world by storm.Is the stylus really the reason the Surface Pro is so desirable?
Other site's comments are raving about the stylus. Stylus-driven tablet PCs have been around for over a decade... yet their sales have proven to be niche at best. Why is the stylus suddenly the greatest thing ever? And the other big promise of the Surface Pro is that it is "a laptop and tablet in one" Where that fall apart for me is... the 10.6" screen. That's far too small to be my laptop... even if it can also be a tablet.
Isn't this study based on ad networks and web browsing? Maybe people are buying all these tablets to read Kindle books.I can't imagine people spending multi-hundreds of dollars on a piece of electronics... to just have it sit in a drawer.(actually I can)
Very true. But the difference is... Apple does give out official numbers... for all their phones (not just a certain subset of phones)... every single quarter. Sure they're not broken down by individual model... but some could argue that the numbers for "the iPhone" are good enough. Apple has a very lean product line... only offering 3 models from mid to high-end.Samsung, on the other hand, is a full-line smartphone manufacturer. They sell budget phones all the way up to...
Samsung somehow figured out that they sold 100 million Galaxy S series phones over the last 30 months... LinkBut they can't tell us how many phones they sell in a single quarter?   That's bullcrap. Samsung is a multi-billion dollar electronics corporation. They know EXACTLY how many units they produce, ship and sell. And I'm not one of those people who thinks Samsung phones just sit in a warehouse. They are reaching customers in record numbers.But they must be keeping...
We're talking about almost half of the Android phones out there still running Gingerbread... and you think it's by choice?Think of all those cheap $100 unlocked phones sold across the globe. They don't come with anything higher than Gingerbread and will never receive any updates.There are a million new Android phones activated every day... and half of them are stuck with a 2 year old OS. That's what's happening...
You're right... running a software update and installing a patch is nothing. But tell that to the 47% of Android users who are currently stuck on Gingerbread (which came out over 2 years ago)The following pie chart is based on the number of Android devices that have accessed Google Play within a 14-day period ending on January 3, 2013.Almost half of the Android phones on the planet simply CANNOT run a software update and install a patch to get the newest version.And...
And... some places don't even have the Google Play Store. What good are gazillons of Android phones if people can't buy your app?You're right... market share is only part of the story. You also have to consider which phones can run your apps... and whether the store is even available.It's funny.... for years Apple has always touted the number of iTunes accounts and credit cards they have. As a user... I never really paid much attention to that. But it might be the dark...
There's also a fundamental difference in the way software is handled by Apple compared to all the other Android OEMs. Apple provides their software for their hardware. When it comes times to update your iPhone, iPad or iPod... you download the software directly from Apple servers.... and they know exactly the device you're using. On Android... it's different. In the first place... the OEMs have to get a copy on Android from Google... and tweak it work on each of their...
True... but Apple does not live in a vacuum.It's good to keep tabs on the competition. Lots of stuff happening out there. I enjoyed the Blackberry article today too.Smartphone OS adoption rate of all platforms is interesting as well.