or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

After the first round of court cases... Apple pre-sold 2 million iPhone 5 in 24 hours.Now estimates are that Apple will sell 8 million iPhone 5 this first weekend.So no... I don't think this next round of court cases will affect Apple.I really don't think the buying public are that interested in courtroom drama.
And?There's nothing wrong with niche.
Oh I know.The comment I was replying to was going on and on about Samsung's sales numbers... and then finished with "I bet Apple wishes they could sell as many phones"I was being sarcastic with my response.You and I both know there are many ways to measure success. I don't think Apple is "losing" at all.
Yeah... Apple is the plucky underdog.By your metric... Samsung has already "won"So what's with these ads then? Why kick someone when they're down?
I love how Samsung keeps focusing on the "waiting in line" aspect of an iPhone launch.... when that really only happens one day a year. What about the rest of the year... when people buy iPhones by the hundreds of thousands each day?
$207 in parts... and then Apple turns around and sells it for a retail price of $649 That's how most electronics manufacturers do it. Wait a minute... that's how all manufacturing is done in general. I don't know why this story is trotted out after every iPhone launch. They never seem to figure out the labor costs and other costs associated with the iPhone, though.
When? Every single day SOMEBODY is at the end of their contract.If someone signed a contract on September 20, 2010.... they are ready to upgrade on September 20, 2012If someone signed a contract on September 21, 2010.... they are ready to upgrade on September 21, 2012If someone signed a contract on September 22, 2010.... they are ready to upgrade on September 22, 2012And so on... and so on...Basically there is never a day when people do not walk into their carrier store...
Not every iPhone is sold to a person who is already an iPhone user.The iPhone has sold more and more each year... so it cannot just be the same people buying iPhones over and over.Every single day there is somebody at the end of their 2 year contract... and they could certainly get an iPhone.I'm still in the middle of my 2 year contract... so I'm not ready to upgrade.But... there are tons of people who are ready to upgrade at this very moment... and every day after that.
I do the same thing.
My point was this... Apple patents all sorts of stuff... yet other companies think they can get away with using them. Why can't they get patents for themselves?Recently Apple sued Samsung, and one of the patents was for a specific method of indicating the end of a scrolling list. AKA the bounceback or rubberband patent. It held up in court and Samsung was found guilty of it.Samsung is a legitimate company... yet they were found guilty of using Apple's patents. Clearly...