or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Of course they're not "happy" about it... but what are they gonna do? It's the nature of competition.Geez... Apple can never do right. Apparently it's bad that they don't sell 100% of all smartphones...Again... why are you so focused on the phones Apple doesn't sell?Why not be happy about the 125 million iPhones Apple did sell this past year?I'd love to hear your thoughts on a company like HTC... who represented only 6% of smartphones in 2012. That means 94% of...
True... I didn't mean it to sound so binary.But my comment was in reply to the "200 million phones going to the competition"There are certainly a lot of phones that are below what Apple sells... both in price and quality. Markets Apple simply won't bother with. And that's their choice.
Samsung reported that they are selling 190,000 Galaxy SIII every day. That's almost 18 million in a quarter. And then throw in some Galaxy Notes and the Galaxy SII as well.BUT... Samsung sold 63 million smartphones total last quarter.So that's 1/3 of Samsung's smartphones sold last quarter being flagship phones.Or... 2/3 of their smartphones being total crap smartphones sold around the world.In other words... most Android smartphones are NOT flagships... instead they are...
Exactly!Plus... Apple would only release a cheaper iPhone in China if it was financially reasonable to do so. Otherwise... there isn't contest where the winner gets a prize if they sell the "most" things or represent a certain "share" of the market.Yeah it's a nice trophy to say "we sold this many units" but when was it the goal to actually shoot for that?Applebee's could sell a lot of meals if their steak dinners were $4.99... but what would be the point?No restaurant...
Yep... it's unfortunate that they had a 10-year headstart with tablets... but they were going in the wrong direction.
That's why I said "they were also ill-equipped"
No one was expecting a radical shift in smartphones fueled by Apple and then Google.As a result... Microsoft was not only late to the party... they were also ill-equipped to deal with change.It took them 3 years to come up with their next OS... when they should have begun scrapping Windows Mobile years before.Who knows... we'd probably still see Windows Mobile today if it wasn't for the iPhone and Android.
True... but since analysts estimate how many units are sent out... can't they also estimate how many come back?Just have someone at Samsung's loading dock seeing pallets of phones coming in
But don't all those units eventually reach the hands of the consumer? Just give them time.Otherwise we'd hear if millions of unsold phones get sent back to the OEM.Who knows... there might be a ton of misfit Android phones buried in the New Mexico desert next to the remains of all those E.T Atari cartridges...http://www.snopes.com/business/market/atari.asp
Oh lord... the LG Prada debate... Yes... LG showed off the Prada before Steve Jobs revealed the iPhone. Good for them. But I'm a little confused about the timeline when this supposed "copying" took place. How did Apple (in Cupertino) find out about the LG Prada (in South Korea) ??? Apple claims to have been working on the iPhone since 2004... where exactly would Apple have seen what LG was working on?