or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Oh really? Android already has 5 TIMES the market share of the iPhone. That's a huge disparity.But like I said... Android's numbers look great on paper... but they aren't the clear winner by any means.
Those are all great points... but Apple's not exactly hurting because they are in 2nd place with 15% market share to Android's 75%.It's not an "apples to apples" comparison anyway. Android is an OS... Apple sells hardware.
I think Apple has already proven that you can have a tiny percentage of market share... and still make crazy profits.Why? Because Apple sells hardware. And for the time being... rather expensive hardware. That's where profits come from.Android has 75% smartphone market share right now... but I have yet to see much good come from that.There are so many Android phones out in the world. With all that market share... developers should be making more money from Android than...
Android is certainly gaining market share worldwide. But that could be the result of those crappy $100 unlocked phones in developing countries... phones that make little to no money for the manufacturer. (and don't forget... the total market itself is growing too)Some of those customers don't buy a lot of apps or even use their phone as a smartphone... so they aren't getting used to the Android ecosystem. They just need "a phone" and Android is there.I've seen plenty of...
To be fair... the iPad mini is a product on its own... with its own prices and margins. And we don't know yet how the iPad mini has affected sales of the bigger iPads.The big iPad still has well-padded margins... especially as you go up the line to the $829 iPad 64GB LTEConversely... what's the margin on the $50 iPod Shuffle? Did that ruin the margins on all other iPods? Is it really fair to compare one product to every product they make?How about the cheap 11" Macbook...
The iPhone is only 20% of smartphones worldwide... and only 10% of ALL phones worldwide. Where exactly is this "dominance" they speak of? Apple already makes billions of dollars selling mid to high-end phones... do they really need to dip into lower markets?
That's why I said Apple makes "basically" 3 phones.In that case... Samsung makes even more phones because they also have to make different phones work on all those different carriers too.A single phone won't work on Verizon and AT&T.... or Sprint and T-Mobile.My point was... Samsung makes a ton of phone models from super-cheap to expensive... while Apple makes 3 phone models from mid-range to expensive.And like someone else said... Apple and Samsung have different...
Agreed. This point is key.
But I'm asking why they need to.Samsung makes dozens of phones ranging from $100 low-end to $700 high-end.... while Apple makes basically 3 phones from $450 mid-range to $900 high-end high-capacity.Those are very two different philosophies.And Apple is more profitable as a result... while Samsung wears the crown of sales numbers and/or market share.Apple's (and any company's) goal is to maximize profit... not volume. I can't imagine a situation where someone says to Tim...