or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Yep!
Don't Apple's own software engineers use Mac Pros? Wouldn't they want to keep using them? And if so... why not continue to sell them to other people who need them? Do we know for a fact Apple is losing money on every Mac Pro sold?
The least they could do is post a picture of a 7" tablet next to an Apple iPad.Cute little guy!
Oh that's cool. Have Atoms gotten any better?Last time I used something with an Atom processor... it was a netbook... and it was HORRIBLE. But at least it was cheap... though I don't know anyone who used an Atom-powered netbook as a primary machine.I think Microsoft and the OEMs are gonna try to spin Windows 8 tablets into "it's a tablet... but add a keyboard and it's one machine that does it all"That sounds great in theory... but I hope these aren't woefully...
I thought the whole point of a Windows 8 on a tablet was so it would run all your old software? You know... people say the iPad is a toy and that they'd rather run "real" Windows applications on a tablet. But it sounds like there will be a bunch of WindowsRT tablets pushed out into the market to battle the iPad.... but those WindowsRT won't even run your favorite programs... they will only run Metro apps. I hear there will also be X86 Windows 8 tablets which will run...
Remember... we're talking about developing markets... and phones you pay full price for and then pay-as-you-go for service. Your point about getting a free handset does not apply here.Anyway... there might be some people who want an iOS phone but who live in a developing market.A $300 Android phone might not be better than a $300 iPhone 3GS to some people.I don't really keep up with those kinds of phones... what is a good $300 Android phone in those kinds of markets?And...
Yeah... I was figuring they would keep the same resolution... with the caveats I describe below.There are tradeoffs: a change in resolution really affects developers... while keeping the same resolution on a larger screen lowers DPI slightly.If we're talking about a bump from 3.5" to 4" how bad will that drop in DPI really be? I bet it will still look amazing.There are still phones out there with 800x480 on 4.3" screens.
If Apple makes a 4" iPhone and keeps the same 3:2 aspect ratio.... apps won't really have to do much to adjust to that. However... if Apple decides to change the aspect ratio... it will take some work for developers to re-build their apps. But developers will certainly adapt... they'd be crazy not to. The good thing is... Apple will stick to that new aspect ratio for a while. The original 3:2 aspect ratio lasted for 5 years.
In that big paragraph of text... you forgot one key aspect of Apple's definition of "Retina" displays..... DISTANCE.It's not simply the number of pixels... it's both pixel density AND the viewing distance at which you cannot see the individual pixels. Whether or not you subscribe to that theory... that's what Apple said.I'll let Steve explain it:It's been almost 2 years since Apple introduced the term "Retina" into the tech vocabulary... the least you could do is learn...
Oh I know you can get an HP or Dell laptop in the $1200-1800 range.My point was... if you want a 15" laptop from Apple.... it starts at $1800.Other 15" laptops start at 1/3 of that price.I do think Mac laptops are a good value for the money... when you consider OSX, iLife, build quality and all that jazz. I recommend Macs to people whenever I can (and if they can afford them)But I was saying that the volume sellers for HP and Dell are much cheaper. I imagine their most...