or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Apple had over a year of mindshare before the first credible tablet competitor came out. Shortly after the iPad announcement in January 2010... the commercials started playing. By April 2010, lots of people were talking about the iPad... and you could even go touch one in stores. By them time the Xoom came out the next year... people already had the iPad on their mind. And I think it continues today.
Good points... although I don't think the Apple reps at Best Buy will teach you how to use iMovie :-)I just wish the Mac commercials would actually SHOW someone using a Mac. For years all we've had are 2 guys standing in a white space... and now a Genius who apparently makes housecalls.My idea about showing an Apple Store could include a Genius sitting with a customer who is learning how to use their Mac. I bet most people don't even know Apple makes one-on-one training...
I've seen the same things in my Apple Store. Lots of people... kids to adults... learning things.If only the commercials showed the inside of an Apple Store... I think that would be helpful.I bet only a tiny percentage of people who live within range of an Apple store have actually visited one.Apple is still playing the "switching" game... they gotta get people into the store to show them what's up.
Thanks!I often hear things like "that wasn't innovation... all phones were heading in that direction..."There were plenty of companies who could have announced a radical new phone in January 2007...But they didn't... and these were companies who have been making phones for years.And the fact that these companies didn't have anything close to comparable until over a year later means they were a little behind the curve. The sad thing for them is... Apple was the "new guy" in...
But why were they rushed?If the full touchscreen was truly the natural progression... it should have happened organically. They shouldn't have to rush if it was going to happen anyway.The fact that they did rush some less-than-stellar products to market suggests that they were, in fact, feeling pressure from the iPhone.I'd love to have seen RIM's and Palm's product roadmaps prior to January 2007. RIM could have easily added a touchscreen to the Blackberry... since they...
I'm not so sure... that Treo is a prime example of what phones were doing at the time. It looked pretty much like the last Treo.Who knows if Palm had originally planned to scrap all their legacy Treos and switch wholly to the Palm Pre and Pixi in 2009. That kind of radical change seems out of the ordinary unless they were provoked by something new.So was RIM planning the touchscreen Storm all along too?I dunno... the Storm seemed kinda rushed and awful. Are you sure the...
Exactly. This is the phone Palm announced just 2 days before Apple announced the iPhone.They were just one of many manufacturers who had to find a new plan.
Maybe part of Apple's success is their tightly integrated solution. Apple makes the hardware, software and controls the platform.On the other hand... Samsung makes the hardware... but uses someone else's software, store and other services.It works... but the result might not be the best possible product or user experience.As others have said... Apple has many services that they roll into their products... iTunes and the App Store being a couple of the big ones.If Apple's...
The definition of a PC was created in the 1980s.... in a time when NONE of that stuff even existed.Was the IBM PC 5150 not a PC because CD drives weren't invented yet?However... if the definition began decades ago with the old IBM PC... and it grew to what we consider a PC today.... couldn't the definition of a PC also grow to include what an iPad is today?
Correct... but I wasn't discussing trends of losses or gains.Of course we're still left to guess what "could have" happened.All we know for sure is that 73% of smartphones at AT&T last quarter were iPhones. But you're right... it could have been higher or lower.We'll have to wait another 3 months to see any significant trends.