or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

I agree 100% In my circle of friends... I see more and more of them having a crappy time with their Android phones. Most of the problems stem from crappy hardware. I know a couple friends who are on their 2nd or 3rd Droid X... I wonder if Verizon ever gets sick of replacing the same phone over and over... When the time comes to get a new phone... they might have a sour taste in their mouth about Android as a whole... instead of the manufacturer. I'm not sure if people...
Yeah. I'm friends with a lot of college-aged kids and plenty of regular folks too... and I rarely see someone with a Dell or HP that retails anywhere close to $1000. Even $800 is a stretch. I'm looking at this week's Best Buy ad. Here are the prices listed for Windows laptops: $349 $399 $429 $549 $579 $629 $749 $849 The average price of these particular laptops is $566. The PC manufacturers obviously have a target price range. And Best Buy must think these laptops will...
I hadn't heard that the average PC laptop is $750. If that's true... good for them! That means they sell a lot of $1000 PC laptops as well as $500 PC laptops.I seriously don't know. I guess they lure people into the store with the $500 PC laptops in the weekly paper... and then sell 'em a more expensive PC laptop.
I still see plenty of $500-600 regular laptops (not ultrabooks) every week in the flyers for Best Buy and Staples. Aren't these the volume sellers in Windows laptops? How long will PC OEMs keep pushing $1000-1200 ultrabooks when their plain ol' laptops outsell them 10:1 ? Competition among Windows ultrabooks may force them down to around $700... but then the margins start to become razor-thin like normal laptops. Then the manufacturers will be in the same place...
In an earlier comment... we were discussing whether Apple or other companies would start to include a better digitizer and a stylus with their future phones... to mimic the functionality of the Galaxy Note. I believe that most companies won't. Being able to draw and take notes is a nice feature... but it's hardly a mainstream feature. I don't foresee many new phones to go down this route... if any others do at all.But you raise a good point. Since you don't have to use...
I think you missed my point.I said "It might gain a small following... but will not be a star seller." I wasn't slamming the Galaxy Note anyway... we were talking about stylus-bases phones.There are 700,000 Android devices activated every day... how many of them are Galaxy Notes?In the days of Samsung's Galaxy S series selling 30 million... the Galaxy Note will sell a lot fewer. The Galaxy Note is a superb device... but it probably won't be Samsung's best-selling phone. ...
I wonder if Apple will even bother with highly-accurate stylus input. I'm sure they could figure it out.... but that's still a very specialized task. Apple seems to focus on the more mainstream consumer. The reason all those old smartphones used a stylus is because the screens were terrible and the interfaces were terrible... not because people were drawing all over their Palm Pilots and Windows Mobile phones. There are quite a few Windows tablets that offer stylus...
It's cool... at least they are trying. Lots of people save documents on their desktop because they don't know any better! Technology is hard...
This is key. I was at an Apple store last month getting AppleCare+ for my Verizon iPhone that I received in the mail. I had an appointment at 10am. At 10am... the mall barely had anyone in it... but the Apple Store was packed. Here's what was going on: - 9 people sitting at the Genius Bar getting a lesson about email on their iPads - a couple getting MS Office installed on their MacBook Pro - a guy brought in his iMac for a lesson in Final Cut X - plus various other...
If you replace "ultrabook" with "laptop" or "desktop" that's exactly what happened before. (and is still happening today) All "WinTel" manufacturers are competing with each other. The Windows PC has been a commodity for a very long time. It doesn't matter if you buy a Dell, HP or Acer... you're still getting a Windows computer. There's nothing wrong with that... it's been like that since the days of the IBM PC clones. Hell... I remember reading Computer Shopper magazine in...