or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

I think you missed my point.I said "It might gain a small following... but will not be a star seller." I wasn't slamming the Galaxy Note anyway... we were talking about stylus-bases phones.There are 700,000 Android devices activated every day... how many of them are Galaxy Notes?In the days of Samsung's Galaxy S series selling 30 million... the Galaxy Note will sell a lot fewer. The Galaxy Note is a superb device... but it probably won't be Samsung's best-selling phone. ...
I wonder if Apple will even bother with highly-accurate stylus input. I'm sure they could figure it out.... but that's still a very specialized task. Apple seems to focus on the more mainstream consumer. The reason all those old smartphones used a stylus is because the screens were terrible and the interfaces were terrible... not because people were drawing all over their Palm Pilots and Windows Mobile phones. There are quite a few Windows tablets that offer stylus...
It's cool... at least they are trying. Lots of people save documents on their desktop because they don't know any better! Technology is hard...
This is key. I was at an Apple store last month getting AppleCare+ for my Verizon iPhone that I received in the mail. I had an appointment at 10am. At 10am... the mall barely had anyone in it... but the Apple Store was packed. Here's what was going on: - 9 people sitting at the Genius Bar getting a lesson about email on their iPads - a couple getting MS Office installed on their MacBook Pro - a guy brought in his iMac for a lesson in Final Cut X - plus various other...
If you replace "ultrabook" with "laptop" or "desktop" that's exactly what happened before. (and is still happening today) All "WinTel" manufacturers are competing with each other. The Windows PC has been a commodity for a very long time. It doesn't matter if you buy a Dell, HP or Acer... you're still getting a Windows computer. There's nothing wrong with that... it's been like that since the days of the IBM PC clones. Hell... I remember reading Computer Shopper magazine in...
Free phones are between the carrier and the consumer... not the manufacturer. The carrier will give away a phone... because the consumer will pay dearly over the next 2 years. The phone manufacturer still gets paid the full retail price of the phone.
Thanks for clearing that up As for why customer base is useful... it can certainly help developers... ie a bigger audience.Market share can also be misleading at first glance.If an Android developer reads the headline "Android tablets reach 30%" they might think Android tablets are finally at the level that they will consider developing for.But the reality is... there are far more iPads out there.
Yeah that's true. There probably aren't a lot of original iPhones still in use... nor those abysmal early Android phones. jkMarket share is for a certain timeframe, and not of all time.Exactly. I heard someone on another blog use the term "Android Collective"That's actually a fitting description: an entire platform of products from many manufacturers. How on Earth can a single company compete with that?
Exactly. I was under the impression that whenever there is a report about "market share" that they're referring to sales during a certain timeframe... and NOT the total market share. We've all heard claims like this before... "Android has 30% tablet market share... iPad slips to 60%" They're clearly referring to sales (or shipments) during that particular quarter. If we're talking about the TOTAL market share of tablets... we know there are over 40 million iPads out in...
I'm not suggesting that Apple stops making new products. Nor am I saying Apple is perfectly fine sticking to their current course. I was just asking what else can they do? We think they are gonna break into the TV business. But, the TV business is pretty much a commodity right now. Hopefully Apple will put their unique spin on it, leveraging their existring iTunes media store. Other than TV... where else can a consumer electronics company go? And like I said before......