or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Apple makes a $50 iPod Shuffle.It's one of four different iPod models on the market... ranging from $50 to $400Who says one size fits all?
Why is it inconceivable that Samsung sells a lot of phones?Don't forget... Android has 50% of the worldwide smartphone market... and Samsung makes up the majority of that. Sorry... Samsung is a big deal... and I say this as an iPhone user...As for unsold phones... any huge amount of returns would show up on their quarterly results. They'd have to give that money back... ya know.It would be front page news if retailers were returning millions of unsold Samsung phones......
That's just it... there are no Samsung numbers... all we have are 3rd party analysts.Are all the analysts pumping up their numbers from their surveys and channel checks?
Haha, true. The tablet market is a hard nut to crack.Smartphones, however, are pretty safe bet.
My point was.... every quarter Samsung produces new phones. If there were millions of unsold phones sitting around in carrier stores... the stores wouldn't order any more from Samsung. It's like that in every retail business. Samsung keeps "shipping" the phones to stores... so I tend to believe they are also "selling" those phones to consumers. Have you ever seen a Samsung phone out on the street? I've seen plenty.That's why I have a hard time believing this notion of...
I'm smart enough to know that a company doesn't produce a bunch of products if they don't plan on selling them...That applies to every company.I don't need a list with the names and addresses of every person on the planet who bought a Samsung phone over the last 90 days.But you can go on and believe that Samsung is outright lying with everything they say... or that they produce a bunch of phones with no intention to sell and instead shove them in a warehouse...
I know what "revenue recognition" means.However... the comment I was replying to was claiming that Samsung's products just sit in a warehouse... and they only get purchased by consumers after the price gets slashed.That was what I was referring to.There is this huge debate of "shipped vs sold" on these forums... and I don't know why.Samsung has been selling mobile phones for decades... don't you think they know how many to produce to not have a bunch of stock...
That only works for so long.Imagine if Samsung shipped 6 million phones in a quarter to warehouses and stores... and ZERO people bought them.Would they ship another 6 million phones the next quarter?In short... people are buying Samsung phones.I've never heard of a boatload of Samsung phones going back to Korea... especially not a flagship phone like the GSIIIPhones SOLD as part of a two-for-one are still SOLD...What is your definition of a legitimate sale? Full retail...
I'd say the 7.85" iPad would start at $299Sure it's $100 more than the Nexus 7..... but it's also an iPad...The only reason the Kindle Fire may (or may not) have sold is because it was $300 less than the $500 iPad.But you'd be crazy to spend $200 on a Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 if you could get an iPad Mini for only $100 more..
I think Steve was referring to the 7" 16:9 tablets that the other guys were selling. There are a bunch of reasons why they don't work: too narrow in portrait... not enough height in landscape... and I don't think Steve was the biggest fan of Android in general :-)But the world has never seen a 7.85" 4:3 iPad running iOS. I believe it would be a nice product. All the benefits of an iPad... only smaller.Apple already makes laptops in 11" 13" 15" and 17".... so they must...