or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Yep! By comparison... Android's ecosystem and revenue stream looks like a mess. I wonder why people think market share is king? It doesn't look like it's gonna pay off...
Nokia was a hot hardware seller until their products were no longer desirable... But Google gets a fraction of a penny every time someone looks at their Android phone... isn't that a good plan?
Well... "Android" isn't a company.... but you can credit Google for creating an OS for lots of other companies to use. And this is interesting: "Android's growth is tied directly to the propagation of lower-priced devices... IDC expects unsustainably thin profit margins on low-end Android devices and developer preference for the more profitable iOS app ecosystem to eventually slow the platform's growth." So basically... these companies will be shoveling out tons of cheap...
Makes me wonder about all the other LTE phones out there. Are they getting slammed with overages? I don't use my iPhone very much away from WIFI anyway. But when I do it's sloooow!!! I'd gladly use an LTE iPhone.
I agree. To me... "being productive" is using all the programs I've been using for years... and not waiting for them to be "Metro Ready" or having their interfaces completely mucked with. Do I really need little Metro "apps" when I've had no problem using programs on every version of Windows from 95 to Windows 7 all these years? I use a desktop computer, keyboard, mouse and a 20" non-touchscreen monitor. What exactly is Metro gonna do for me?
Ok cool... just wondering. I have all my programs pinned to the Windows 7 Start Menu now... a lot of frequently used programs. Just curious what that would look like in Windows 8 I'm a desktop/mouse/keyboard guy. I plan to keep using all my existing desktop programs. I guess I don't see the appeal of Metro on my desktop machine... as I will be running regular Windows programs. But I totally understand Metro for tablets. Can I just launch into Windows 8 Desktop by default?
With Metro... where is all the stuff that used to be on the Start Menu? Programs and such? Old image... I know...
Well... Apple does have $100 Billion in cash. But does anyone know how much it would cost to outright build their own factories? And staff them? Or should they continue to just rent time from Samsung, Foxconn, etc? You're right though... Apple is beginning to demand too much from their suppliers... but I'm sure Tim Cook is exploring every option.
I wasn't trying to make a perfect analogy... I was merely pointing out that Apple is good at what they do... and they contract with companies who are good at what they do. You're right... Apple is the designer, contractor and seller... and they buy parts and services from other companies too. And they're pretty darn successful at it Who knows what Apple could do if they owned everything end-to-end. But I don't think Apple wants to deal with mining aluminum ore,...
Na.... they should stick to what they do best... designing, marketing and creating great user experiences. Let other companies who are the best in their fields to do what they do best... manufacturing, fabrication, etc. The architect does not hammer nails, pour concrete or pull electrical cable...