or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Because I fucking want one!Also... when I bought a bigger monitor for my desktop... I didn't do it so I could sit further from the screen. I just wanted a bigger screen.Let me want that!
Because it's a bigger image on the screen.It's the same reason you choose a 46" TV over a 40" TV... or a 15" laptop over a 13" laptop... or prefer a 3" screen on a new Nikon DSLR over a 2.5" screen on an older camera.I don't know why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.Besides... my pocket could certainly accommodate a larger device.
And not just phablets. Most Samsung smartphones today (and basically all other decent smartphones) are well over 4"I love my iPhone.... but Apple only recently got to a 4" 16:9 screen... something the original Galaxy S had in 2010. And Samsung smartphones have grown ever since.Galaxy S 4.0"Galaxy SII 4.3"Galaxy SIII 4.8"How big is too big? I dunno... but I'd like the option to get a larger iPhone. Just a little larger
Nice chart Yeah... I was never too worried about Apple "losing" to Android. I don't think it really matters where you rank on a chart like that. Apple makes great products, has great developer support, great retention, tons of accessories, you name it. Oh... and they make an obscene amount of money despite selling 5 TIMES fewer phones than the next spot on that chart. At that point... who cares if the other guys sell more?Apple doesn't sell cheap phones. Their phones...
Android surges to 75% smartphone market share in Q3Google's (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android mobile operating system powered three out of every four smartphones shipped worldwide during the third quarter of 2012, according to new data from market intelligence firm IDC.There are reports like this all over the web...
I didn't think there were smartphones available for $100. Thank you for enlightening me.New topic... is Samsung really dominating by pumping a bunch of garbage phones into the market? A bunch of phones that will never see a modern OS?I often wonder this... Android has something like 75% market share across the globe. A big number.But shouldn't all those terrible phones weigh against Android as a whole? You know... Fandroids spouting off about "winning" while those...
Oh ok... those cheap pre-paid Android phones. Essentially the "burners" of this generation.Doesn't this fall under the category of "you get what you pay for" ?Wouldn't a $299 Nexus 4 be a much better phone?
If we're talking about the US market... how many people buy phones off-contract?As for on-contract... the more expensive current iPhone handily outsells the cheaper, older versions. I once saw an estimate that 89% of iPhones sold were the $200+ on-contract phone... not many people are interested in the the $100 iPhone or "free" iPhone.Same for the iPad. The $500+ iPad handily outsold the cheaper iPad 2 (but now the iPad mini will be interesting to watch)I guess the...
iPhone 5 launch propels Apple to 53% of US smartphone salesAs for total installed base... I have no idea.But iPhones are pretty darn popular in the US.
Oh there's definitely a low-end tablet market. I was just saying that this article has a fantastic headline that is a complete sham.This article is based on web usage... not market share.Market share is calculated by taking the company's sales over the period and dividing it by the total sales of the industry over the same period.So.... take all the iPads sold over the holidays... and compare that to all the Kindle Fires sold over the holidays... and tell me how the...