or Connect

Posts by spliff monkey

Ya'll are crazy! mechengit your really crazy man! You take things way to seriously (and that's coming from a very serious guy) but thanks for all of the info! Sincerely! I have a much better understanding of the scenario now, cell, power 6, G6 etc. still seems a viable alternative, in whatever variant it would incarnate itself, but it still depends where the money is being invested. I guess that's the reason for my question, why are computer users always being "held back?"...
MY point was obviously missed. Many have told me and others on these boards (somewhat overconfidently) that you's never see cell in a desktop and or server. Well here they are! Any reason apple couln't or wouldn't make this work? Please I just want to know whay my next "PowerMac" won't be using this technology, rendering entire cities in real time. OMFG how could that not be appealing. Obviously I'm ignorant to the tecchnical/ political reasons why not but I'm not dumb...
well well well IBM cell chips in blade servers huh? Who said it wouldn't happen? Sucka's I assume that since it's PPC that it'll run linux? here's the linky... IBM Cell Blades What do ya'll make of that?
cute onlooker I know 65nm is not news but their fab technique is unique to IBM. That's all I was commenting on. This transition is just a bunch of poop to me! I was happy with the PPC performance and frankly I still think they are better chips in terms of overall robustness. But only time will tell I suppose, Steve J has been quoted as being excited by what intel has down the line. Wait and see. IBM is huge in my "home town" (they created the fab for the G5 in fishkill;...
IBM has announced that they are working on making things run cooler and faster through means other than miniaturization. I'm not fully versed in the geek speak but check it out for yourselves. Interesting approach, equally interesting to see what will bring us over the 3ghz wall, but Ya know, Seeing stuff like this really makes me wonder what Kind of politicing went on between Apple, IBM and Intel? With tech like this (yeah I know IBM's Track record but I've always liked...
Well if the G5 is dead what about altivec apps? I mean from what I can tell about the new intel macs from the bench tests, they perform great on sort of a "system level" (copying data, ripping music, opening windows, searching etc) but they only perform about half as well as their PPC components when it comes to altivec heavy commands like Photoshop filters. I use Photoshop everyday and I have to say that it would disappoint me greatly if the Gaussian blur took twice as...
Exactly, If i can create my own content how can I best share it or view it without the need for a computer snd by extension how can organizr it in all categories music, video, stills etc. It's been quite some time in the making so personally I'd excpect nothing short of "great" things from apple, but given Liscensing issues etc we may all have to wait a little longer than we'd like, but on that note, Apple seems to have developed many great relationships with some of the...
As far as the pot "diss" I'm alright with that, I've had that handle for about ten years now and you get used to people going for the easy shot, specially when they have nothing to add to the discussion. @home I don't disagree with the fact that Apple users are wanting to consume media. I was just looking at Apple from the standpoint of the Steve Jobs we all love to hate. For years he had been quoted as disliking the merger of TV and PC. So we all thought it would...
I'm Not sure what to say about @homenow's thoughts. I mean TIVO has announced that you will soo be able to record and download any content from their DVR's to the Ipod V. That kind of puts apple out of the delivery game right there it sounds simpler than anything apple would be able to release. Perhaps they should have bought the company when they had a chance. I think rather that Apple would be better served focusing their energy on organizing and viewing content rather...
From a software point of view, allot of pro software uses altivec and porting over the altivec instructions to intel's vector engine is what I've been told will be the most difficult part of the transition. Any app that doesn't use altivec is an easy port otherwise it'll take time. Further, there's the issue of the RAW power of the power PC. Overall for a pro it's a better chip. OVERALL. It's not the fastest at every task but when it comes to the intense stuff it's a...