or Connect

Posts by drobforever

I guess my comment on this article is the same as those about the Xoom - there's no need to do that, these tablets are not even in the same league as the iPad, very few people are buying them, they're not a threat and it's a waste of resources to generate negative PR about these tablets.
Google is trying to "close" Honeycomb because they want to slow down their competitors, period. All the talk by these executives is just excuses. If they delay release of the source code, it's much harder for e.g. Amazon to use Honeycomb for it's next tablet. Other companies also can't quickly duplicate Honeycomb's functionality into their mobile OS without seeing the source code.
I can understand why Motorola would do this. Nowadays you can't earn a decent profit in this industry unless you're vertically integrated and basically have some degree of monopoly power over the consumers. Android is nice in terms of saving costs for these manufacturers, but competition simply wipe out the potential economic profit.
But then nobody would actually report that news. Why? Because in this case (just like the Amazon case) these companies are not just using the term "App Store", instead they're using "Company X's App Store" as the name. Using "MiKandi App Store" or "Amazon Appstore" is clearly different from using just "App Store", because it'd be much harder for anyone to associate those names with Apple's "App Store".
A lot of windows tablets were same size as iPad as well, and offered even more features than iPad before, guess what, they didn't sell either. Xoom was never a threat not because of size or features, but because the experience is just not there. That's because Honeycomb is nowhere as polished as even Android 2.0, i.e. Xoom as a tablet is not even as good as the 1st Droid in terms of experience. Customers are confused, they don't know what they're doing when they play with...
The Xoom was never a threat, still amazed people keep comparing it to the iPad, it's not even in the same class. Same for the Galaxy Tabs (78910 etc), HP Touchpads, Playbook, etc. The only OK tablet so far has been the Nook Color that's it.
The question is, where can one find all these 'poor confused souls'? Who in the right mind would actually go to Amazon's store, whether it's called "appstore" or not, to look for iOS apps? As I've mentioned before, Apple should be able to keep the trademark "App Store", but to say that "Amazon appstore" is similar to Apple's "App Store" to the eyes of iOS users is a huge stretch. Amazon is a well known brand and I don't see any iOS user would confuse that with the iTunes...
While I agree that Apple should be able to keep the App Store trademark, "Amazon Appstore" seems different from "App Store" to me, because Amazon is an extremely well known brand. Nobody would look at "Amazon Appstore" and think it's a part of Apple. It'd be viewed as a store affiliated with Amazon instead. On the other hand, if some company create a store selling apps and call that "My Appstore", or "Mobile Appstore", etc, then that shouldn't fly.
The problem is that it's not as clear-cut when it comes to software/hardware integrated devices. Like MSFT just suing B&N for using android in nook, B&N can't just say "well but we don't build android, go sue GOOG", because GOOG would just say "I'm just building something, I'm not selling it."
Scalpers exist because there's demand in China, period. There's a whole bunch of ultra-rich people in China that wants to play with the iPad2 right now, they don't want to wait, that's why they're willing to buy from the scalpers at inflated price. I don't see the point to complain about this huge demand of iPad2 from these Chinese people, they're also humans and they should also be allowed to buy iPad2, not to mention that it's actually Chinese workers who made most of them.