or Connect

Posts by asdasd

What's odd to me is comparing a brand and IP to an area. I am sure that some fizzy wine tasters convince themselves that there are differences between wine from champagne and other wines but most blind tests show sommeliers can't really tell any difference between anything. In any case there is no intellectual property here. It's just a region.And France gets a lot more if this than anywhere else. Cheddar is not protected.
There is no illegality in Ireland's corporate rate of 12.5%, its the extra incentives which are under investigation.
 No you got nothing right. I didn't even mention America in my post. The EU restricts fizzy wine made outside that region of France being called Champagne, and that includes imports. It doesn't do so with Cheddar cheese, and Whisk(e)y. In general the bias is towards France in these things.  The US has also agreed to stop fizzy wine producers naming their produce Champagne, however thats only since 2006. However I googled that.  I suppose this restriction of trade is ok,...
 Great post, although I doubt anybody will read it. Tl;dr Apple can't be accused of illegal transfer pricing unless the price that Apple Ireland charges to Apple UK (etc.) retail is higher than the prices it charges to external resellers and it doesn't look like that is the case. 
 Why? Names often become generic. Champagne isn't a brand name owned by a Company. It's a region. And a name for fizzy wine. It would be like Ireland ( or Scotland) claiming whiskey or whiskey as being only generated in either country as the name comes from Gaelic. Cheddar isn't restricted even though it originated in Cheddar Gorge in the UK. Feta is restricted although that cheese could be made anywhere.   With the EU the bias tends to be continental.
 Yes, this is to investigate secret Government agreements between Ireland and Apple to avoid the tax rate of 12.5%. However as you said the same commission has investigated the larger countries of Europe and found that they have subsidised and allowed tax breaks for all their indigenous companies, without any fines. Take for instance this report from PWC about France having an "effective tax rate" of 8.5% compared to it's headline tax rate of...
 Ireland has a very high tax income take, as it happens. So you don't get Third World services. As it happens if Ireland is in the wrong here, it is either Ireland, or the US, which is owed the tax back. Not the EU - an entity which doesn't collect tax at all.  ( It does get some remittances from countries after they apply tax but it doesn't directly get tax from any sovereign nation. There is no EU wide federal or income tax).
Even if Ireland is fined the back taxes are owed to Ireland not the EU.It's hypocritical nonsense from the rest of Europe. France and Germany vigourously protect their native capitalists and the French are always demanding impediments to free trade. For instance only one area on the world which produces fizzy wine can call it champagne.
I really doubt they knew about this and released it. Of course not. It seemed to primarily affect new devices so my guess is that they didn't have enough devices to test it properly. In any case the procedure should be to release to beta test first.
Better to see what he's up to in public. Keeping quiet looks like he's biding his time. For a return. I'd prefer he was outspoken.