or Connect

Posts by apersona

China has been convulsed with riots all summer, including a July riot in Urumqi after which 10,000 people are said to have "disappeared". 80,000 people protesting and rioting around the Japanese embassy in Beijing, and thousands more all across China.   All of which elicits a collective "ZZZZZZ ..." in the US, until, OMG, 2,000 people riot at a Foxconn plant, that happens, among other things, to possibly make one part of the new iPhone.
China has been convulsed with riots all summer, including a July riot in Urumqi after which 10,000 people are said to have "disappeared". 80,000 people protesting and rioting around the Japanese embassy in Beijing, and thousands more all across China.   All of which elicits a collective "ZZZZZZ ..." in the US, until, OMG, 2,000 people riot at a Foxconn plant, that happens, among other things, to make one part of the new iPhone.
  I can currently stream YouTube or Netflix videos over 3G until my 200 MB of data is used up, how does my using FaceTime trigger "Overriding concern" about their network? AT&T's FaceTime policy is a transparent attempt to strong-arm conservative users of data into more expensive plans and consumers are justified in their anger. The very second a viable alternative exists millions will jump on it.   Apple, when will you have the confidence to offer a VOIP solution that...
Further proof that Samsung doesn't get it — the fact that people value the overall experience they have with a device much more than they care about feature and spec lists.
Just for lolz, a court jester-type idea for Apple going forward. Periodically distribute to all likely competitors, ideas that are just beginning to jell in the Design Lab, with the proviso that they have, say, 2 years to offer for sale a product to those specifications, after which Apple may or may not release theirs. Retroactively applying this strategy, in 2004 Apple tells Samsung, Google, Microsoft, et. al. that it would be a great idea to make a phone with a simple...
It's an epic collision of cultures. Stewart Brand and 60's idealism overlaid on rough and tumble American capitalism, where even the mighty can be humiliated vs the corrupt (from a western pov) Korean chaebols with their government enforced monopolies, unapologetic mercantilism and a self-deprecating work ethic that values uniformity. Maybe you kids see it different, but a baby boomer like me is rooting hard for Apple. After so many years of watching the borg-like Asian...
There couldn't be a better example of the difference between actual high tech companies - which for the last umpteen years have been exploiting Moore's Law to continuously offer me dramatically increasing power and functionality for continuously declining costs - and pretend high tech companies like the telcos. AT&T could also choose to ride the wave and constantly upgrade its infrastructure but they don't! AT&T is a creature of the corridors of power, of the regulators...
Hard to believe there wasn't a confidentiality agreement negotiated between Apple and Samsung's chips and displays division by Tim Cook and Kwon Oh Hyun, the man who ran that division and who is now Samsung CEO.
It's easy to assume that Samsung made an intentional decision to pursue copying the market leader instead of striving to create great products based on their own unique point of view and capabilities. Some reflection on East Asian (Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea) culture and mindset might convince you that it is impossible for Samsung or any East Asian company to innovate the way Western companies do, with Apple being the most prominent example.   Taiwanese...
I haven't read anywhere if Samsung is suspected of industrial espionage related to iPhone designs. As I understand it iPhone influenced Samsung phones came to market around the same time as the first iPhone public unveiling. Or, maybe because Samsung was a key supplier for the iphone project they had been seeing at least some design features for a long time?   It couldn't happen given trade secrets, etc. but comparing Samsung and Apple product pipelines would be very...