or Connect

Posts by apersona

Bill Gates seems to operate in a closed mental system. The wheels are definitely turning and opinions are coming out but there is no experiential input or real insights into human beings. Given that he famously forbid his family to use Apple products, I seriously doubt he has ever spent any time with an iOS device and has never experienced the freedom from the mind-numbing aspects of traditional computing that iOS offers. He has always expressed bewilderment at the...
Apple under SJ conceived and produced disruptive technology. Apple products and services based on them do not play well with the entrenched industries that "own" their markets. Currently, a few big entities "own" educational publishing — the disastrous federal Dept of Education and the above mentioned publishers — who decide how and what all students in this country will be taught. I can't quote chapter and verse but SJ had a very low opinion of US education, and by...
The need to connect parts together is a huge constraint on the final form, especially for designers at Apple who obsess about creating increasingly compact devices with no apparent fasteners. This made me think once again about now marginalized K. E. Drexler who wrote Engines of Creation: The Coming Era of Nanotechnology in 1986. That book captured my imagination with predictions of molecular assemblies and vats of primordial soup out of which any material object could...
Maybe someone raised this earlier and I skipped over it, but something is missing from this debate. A patent gives the innovator the right to pursue legal redress when someone else TAKES HIS WORK and profits from it without compensating him. Did the developers of apps with in-app purchasing have an ahha moment after studying Lodsys patents? Did they take Dan's work and build a lucrative product using it? If so then they couldn't have been surprised to be handed a bill....
Highly compressed popular music actually sounds better on really poor systems such as earbuds and tiny computer speakers than it does on a good system. For most people louder = better and 24 bits is completely pointless. Regarding sample rates above 44.1: The ability to capture and reproduce frequencies above 18 kHz in and of itself isn't what makes higher sample rates sound better. They sound better because distortion (only audible when listening to music) caused by the...
This article adds only confusion to the popular debate about sound quality. Because of the association with current music business mega-sellers this CNN story is being picked up and repeated ad infinitum. Some readers are pointing out the errors but the great majority - the average consumers - will not question the statements. Jimmy Iovine blames bad sounding consumer audio files on the conversion from 24 to 16 bit, without any mention of compression which is the...