or Connect

Posts by jfruh

So I'm having a problem with iOS mail that's really making me tear my hair out.  I use Google Apps to host my domain name and email.  Up until a few weeks ago, using the Mail app on my iPhone and iPad to access this account via IMAP worked great.  But then something changed, although I didn't change any settings on either the client or server end.  Now when I try to send an email, from either the iPhone or iPad, it takes a VERY long time for it to send out -- like two to...
Hello all- I'm thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player for my living room, and one of the models I was looking at in Best Buy said that it supported "PC streaming," which I assume means that it would stream video and audio from a computer on the same network. I was wondering if any Blu-Ray players that work in this way support Macs. I have the latest version of Snow Leopard on my computer. Thanks in advance for any tips! Josh
I am thinking about getting a Mac mini to use as a home media center. I am planning on connecting the mini to my 720p LCD widescreen TV via a DVI-to-HDMI adapter cable. (I already have the cable and tested it out with my TV and my old G5 PowerMac.) For audio, I'm just planning on connecting external speakers to the headphone jack. In light of the HDCP problems encountered by users with the new Macbooks and Mini Display Ports with HD content in setups where converter...
Hi all- My wife and I recently got iPhones. My plan for my wife's phone is to sync the calendar with her Windows machine at work and everything else with our Mac at home. More details here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....19958&tstart=0 So far she's synced up with her work calendar fine, and downloaded appplications great from my home machine. But when I try to sync media (music/video) with my media library on my home computer, I get this error: "{My...
Does anyone know if Migration Assistant only works with a direct Mac-to-Mac connection? I'd like to use SuperDuper! to create a bootable backup of my current Mac's hard drive on an external FireWire drive and then use Migration Assistant to import the information from that external drive onto my new Mac. Will the new machine balk at this? Also, if I use Migration Assistant to move my apps over, it won't overwrite newer versions of iLife apps like iPhoto, will it?
Hi all- My copy of Leopard gets here Tuesday (yay!). I've been using OS X since the Public Beta, and I am somewhat shamefaced to admit that I have NEVER in all that time done a clean install -- I've always used the "upgrade" option. There was a change of machine in there, but I just used migration assistant to move my existing configuration over the new computer! So I'm thinking I should probably do an Archive and Install once Leopard gets here. Of course, the reason...
Hi all- I have a friend who has wants to upgrade her ancient (circa 1999) iMac. She really only wants a computer that does the basics -- e-mail, Web surfing, word processing -- but she DOES need to use MS Word. I am thinking of recommending the high-end Mac Mini to her, but I am a little concerned about the fact that that MS Office is not yet a Universal Binary. Is anyone else using Word on a lower-end Intel Mac? Is the performance acceptable in terms of speed and...
I just got a new Airport Extreme base station (I had previously been using a Linksys wireless router) and Airport Express and I'm having a very negative experience trying to use the latter with iTunes (which was the main purpose of buying it in the first place). The audio streaming from iTunes to the Airport Express doesn't play continuously. Instead, I get a few seconds of audio, followed by a few seconds of silence, followed by a few seconds of audio, and so on. It...
I don't have a wireless card in the G5. My office is nowhere near my stereo system. One of the purposes of getting the Airport Express was to serve as a repeater, since one base station isn't enough to get signal everywhere in the house. I love it when people try to make you feel stupid for asking the questions you ask, as if you hadn't thought things out at all before hand. Sorry if I sound pissy, but it seems to happen every time I post a question in a forum like this. jf
Hi all -- I have a tech choice to make and I'm soliciting advice and war stories from those who have been in my place. I have a DSL connection, G5 Mac and a Windows laptop. I've been connecting to the Internet via a Linksys WRT54G router -- the Mac is connected to the router via Ethernet, and the Windows machine connects wirelessly -- and I've been happy with this setup. I have it on good authority that I'll be getting an Airport Express in my stocking this year; I...