or Connect

Posts by jfruh

Hello all- I've got iDVD 4.0.1 and I'm just learning about DVD burning. What flavor of writable DVD media should I use to make sure that (a) it works with iDVD and (b) the resulting DVD will play on most commercial DVD players? I got some DVD+R and iDVD crashed rather spectacularly when I tried to burn to one, so I thought I'd ask here before I try again. I have the standard PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-117D Superdrive that came with the Mac. Also, some of the posts I've...
I've had a G4 for some time, and I just bought a slightly used G5. I thought I'd use the Migration Assistant to move all my user data and apps from the G4 to the G5 quickly and easily. Boy was I wrong! The main drive on my G4 is a "slave" drive (I added it to the G4 later), and so wouldn't show up in firewire disk mode. I tried to change the jumpers to set it as a master drive; the G4 wouldn't boot up at all (I just got a screen with a folder and a flashing question...
Hello all- I posted a question in this thread looking at this problem from another angle, but I think this might be the way I want to go about it, if I can. To make a long story short (or at least try): I just bought a six-month-old Power Mac G5 on eBay. I am planning on moving all my apps and data over from my old computer, a G4. The system restore disks came will put OS 10.3.5 on the G5. The G5 has a built-in DVD burner, and thus also came with iDVD. The G4 does...
(Tried posting this before and the post got mostly eaten -- retrying...) Hello all- I currently have a G4 Power Mac, and I've just purchased a slightly used G5 Power Mac on eBay; I've ordered a bigger internal hard drive for the second drive bay and am waiting on that before I start using it. I am planning on using the Migration Assistant to move my old user data and applications over from the old Mac to the new. I've never used the Migration Assistant before so...
Hi all- I have an OS X machine and a Windows XP machine on a small internal network. I have a local raw printer set up on the Mac that allows me to print from the Windows machine to the printer attached to my Mac via USB. However, a recent security update (don't remember the date, it was the one that came out just before OS X 10.3.9) seems to have killed this capability. The raw printer is still on the Mac, SMB filesharing works fine, and Windows and Printer sharing are...
Hi all- Got a problem with a flat-screen iMac running OS X 10.2. It's a friend's computer, and I'm diagnosing it by phone, so apologies that I don't have all the details. The iMac is connected via ethernet to a Linksys router, which is in turn connected to a DSL modem. My friend has lately found that when she wakes her computer from sleep, she loses her network connection: she can't open a connection either to an outside Web site or to the router (which I assume...
Do you means a SMB connection TO the Mac or FROM the Mac? Either way, you can create a shortcut in your favorites or on the desktop of either the Mac or the PC representing the connection. That way you can just double-click on it, and if the other computer is up, you'll connect. The SMB connection will still have to be recreated behind the scenes, but you don't really have to worry about it. jf
Hello- I just downloaded the new iTunes update (to 4.5) and accompanying iPod update. After updating iTunes, when I plug in my iPod, it appears as a volume on the desktop (even though I haven't set it to firewire disk mode) and a dialog pops up in iTunes: "iTunes has detected a software update for the iPod. Would you like to install it now?" I click yes, and it launches the updater app -- which tells me that "No iPod is attached"! I've tried rebooting to no avail. ...
Hmm, nope, same result (only without the initial prompt, obviously). Still hangs while trying to transfer. I also tried switching my bluetooth dongle from the unpowered USB hub on my keyboard to a powered hub -- same results both times. jf
Hello all- I just bought a Nokia 3650 with a built-in camera phone. I'm having some problems transferring images from the phone to my Mac. I've been able to sync my address book and calender via Bluetooth and iSync with no problems; I've also been able to move images from my Mac to to the phone with no problems (they show up in my messaging in-box). So there is certainly no problem with the connection between the two machines. However, when I try to send a...