or Connect

Posts by jfruh

Hey all -- I've done some research and found a lot of complaints stating that the 610 does NOT sync with all-day events in iCal. Almost everything in my calender is an all-day event, so this wouldn't help me at all! Thanks for the suggestions but I'm going to keep on looking. (And yes, I knew about Apple's list of compatible phones when I posted this question ... but I wanted to hear the experiences of users.) jf
Hello all- I'm not sure if mobile phones constitute part of the hub, but iSync has sort of put them into that category, so here goes: I've been thinking more and more of joining the 21st century and getting a mobile phone. My first tech-happy urge was to shell out for a top-of-the-line smartphone, but after a lot of thought I realize that my 4-year-old Handspring really fulfills all my PDA needs -- maintaining my address book, calender, a short to-do list, and playing...
Hello- I'm running into some problems managing disk space on my main volume, which has 12.15 GB of total storage. Right now, if I add up all visible folders on this volume (Applications, Developer, Library, System, and Users), I come up with 7.43 GB occupied. Yet if I use "Get Info" on the volume itself, it tells me that there is 10.8 GB on disk and only 1.34 GB free! So, where is this extra stuff? I have in the past installed Unix-y things and I know they can leave...
Hmm ... this works fine ... stripping the resource forks seems makes them zip up cleanly. (The files in question will be standard xml, graphic, and .java files, with appropriate filename extensions -- stripping the resource fork shouldn't be too problematic in practice.) Unfortunately, Grim Ripper doesn't work for me ... perhaps it hasn't yet been updated for Panther? I'm not getting the contextual menu item it is supposed to provide, unless there's something else to...
Hi there, here's a question on Panther's zip feature. I really appreciate it that Apple has put the capability to put a file in a zip archive right into the Finder -- I always hate it when Windows has something we don't! . However ... the default implementation of this feature creates a metadata folder called __MACOSX or some such in the zip archive so that the files unzip with all their metadata associations intact on a Mac. Unfortunately, almost all of my use of zip...
ADC to DVI problem\t Hello all- I recently bought a Planar PL191M flat-screen monitor. I have a 450 MHz DP G4 with an ATI Rage128 Pro video card that has both VGA and ADC outputs. I have been using the the VGA monitor output to connect my monitor, and it has been working fine; however, I had been told that if I got a ADC to DVI adapter, I could get a clearer picture. So, I bought a Belkin ADC 30 Male to DVI 24 Female adapter. Everything fit together fine, and...
Hi all- Just installed Panther and it's causing a big problem. Panther seems to "forget" my display prefs upon reboot and default to a fairly high resolution (1280 by 960). Unfortunately, due to a quirk in my monitor setup, the OS or video card thinks that this resolution is supported but the monitor gives me an "over range" error and won't display any info at this resolution. I can hook up an older monitor at this point and change the settings, but if I restart with...
OK, so I just tried this and discovered that ssh can only be turned on and off for the whole machine at the Sharing panel, not on a per-user basis. Anyone with any ideas on how to turn it on and off for a single user? jf
I'm trying to create a user on my machine that guests to my home can use to check their e-mail and surf the Web. I would like to set this user up with a fairly obvious password (like "guest") so that people don't need my help every time they want to log in. I'm confident in the physical security of my machine (i.e., no one's going to get into my office without my knowledge -- and if they do, I have bigger problems than the fact that they'll be able to access a user...
Hi all- Let's get really old school for a minute: I recently discovered a trove of old documents I wrote on my very first Mac in the early 1990s. Back then, my lightweight word processor of choice was MacWrite. None of the my currently available word processors -- MS Word X, AppleWorks 6, TextEdit, BBEdit -- can open these files (I just see gibberish if I try). I do have a copy of MacWrite 4.6, but it crashes when I attempt to launch it in Classic. Anyone have any...