or Connect

Posts by BigMac2

Thank you clearing this up for me.  I was much more old school in my reply to TheOtherGeoff about getting done to sillicon with assembly.  Still the only legitimate way to create iOS apps is thru pure objective-C or wrapping C or C++ code in objective-C project, which provide like you said a much more consistent IDE.  
 You know ARM doesn't sold CPU, they sold IP , in 2011 Symbian was already dead.  ARM has finalize their AArch64 spec in mid 2012 and Apple is currently the only one with a ARMv8 in commercial production.   Will I agree, someone could a predicted the 64bit switch, neither Microsoft or Android has put their effort there yet, no AArch64 version of Android (official of not) has ever been seen on the net, no phone mfg has ever talk about 64 Bit SoC before Apple last week...
 I do consider any major architecture changes imply with the new ARM AArch64 as related to new generation transition. Just like the G5 or x86-64 CPU before, the A7 have numerous internal improvement over the earlier ARMv7 architecture beneficial to already existing Apps, which is explained in great detail in the article.  Beside why are you narrowing your mind on numerical simulation who have much less to do with CPU than FPU?  You know common usage for CPU is acting as an...
 A roadmap is only prediction which doesn't translate into execution.  There is no working version of 64 bit Symbian and never will. 
 There is a lot more is going on with ARM AArch64 architecture than solely 64 bit addressing.  The current ARM v7 architecture has many legacy bottleneck and shortcomings, the registers and security layer was overly complex and limited.  The new 64 bit architecture as gave them the chance to greatly modernize a + 20 years ISA.  I will repeat my self, we don't know much yet about the A7 internal, but if you look at other previous 64 bit CPU like the Athlon 64 or the G5,...
 There is the quote from the article you've seams to deliberately step over it: 
 Ever since the first A4, Apple is designing and customizing the ARM references architecture for their own needs.  With P.A. Semi and Intrinsity acquisition, Apple is currently have the best ARM SoC solution out there.  We don't know much yet about the A7, I can't wait for Chipworks teardown and analysis.    
 Actually, iOS root like OSX is coming from Nextstep developed on a 33mhz 68040 processor.  While it debuted as a locked OS, they quickly open up the platform with iOS 2.  
 There is a world of difference between an ARM development board and a final product, even if Google does already have a working version of Android for ARM AArch64, no ARM mfg beside Apple has a 64 bit ARM in production yet.  Android is still a full year behind Apple.
 Of course ARM (a corp co-founded by Apple and Acorn Computer) discuss a lots with their partner, since they doesn't sold any hardware, they only licences their hardware to anyone who want to mfg.  Problem is Google doesn't do any ARM development internally, they got no production hardware to work on a 64 bit version of Android and Samsung and Qualcomm, 2 of the most prominent ARM SoC maker chooses the cores multiplication way, look at the Exynos 5 Octa non-sense.