or Connect

Posts by spankalee

I'm sick of them, so I'll stop reading AI for a while. Hint: don't abuse your readers.
I've actually seen a prototype of the remote. It was years ago, and made by a different company, but Apple bought them and it sounds almost exactly the same. At the time Bluetooth wasn't out, so the remote had a base station that connected to other components through a FireWire network. They had it working with Kenwood gear. When you plugged in a device it automatically showed up on the screen as an icon. When you pressed the icon it's interface would show up. Each...
The NeXTSTEP was called Quantrix. It's kinda dead, but not completely. http://www.blackholeinc.com/catalog/...Quantrix.shtml The OSS project is FlexiSheet. It's very cool, but needs some serious work. http://www.materialarts.com/FlexiSheet/ Given the history of NeXT and innovative spreadsheet apps, I'd be a little surprised to see Apple come out with a plain ol' 2D spreadsheet. Maybe they use FlexiSheet as a foundation, or maybe they start fresh, but that's...
I don't think you guys really understand what's going on with Keynote and Pages. It's very much like OS X in the 10.0 days. They wrote these programs from scratch because they're looking to the future. They know that they features are lacking now, but once the foundation is laid the Cocoa way of doing things will let Apple improve these apps at an incredible pace. Cocoa really is the key here. That's why they couldn't fix AppleWorks, or buy RagTime. Yes Pages is painful...
That's why there would be a choice. I for one would seriously consider not only signing up for a subscription service, but getting a larger iPod next time around to fill it up.
Apple really pays attention to 2D/3D design "rules" with their products; it's what makes them so pleasing to the eye. I don't think we'll see the screen get wider because it's the same width as the scroll wheel. Making the screen a different size (without adjusting the scroll wheel to match) would mess with the side margins.
I'm not too sure why you give event-driven programs as an example of a good place to use a single-thread. Event driven programs usually benefit the most from a mutli-threaded design, even on one processor. UI is probably the most common example. If the user pushes a button that starts a time consuming process, why should the whole interface block until the process is over? Launch a worker thread and immediately return to your event loop allowing the UI to still work. I...
Auto vectorization doesn't help any with SMP. Vectorization usually involves unrolling loops so that you can take advantage of SIMD parallelization like AltiVec. Auto threading would be a much, much more complicated task because the compiler would have to either synchronize access to shared data or analyze and ensure that synchronization isn't necessary. I hesitate to say that's impossible, but if it isn't it's close. I think the first step we'll see in this direction is...
I would love to see Apple release a rebranded IBM BladeCenter. Seeing how there's a lot of attention around G5 clusters, I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a cluster built with the JS20's already. The chassis can hold 14 dual 2.2Ghz G5 blades. That's twice the processor density as XServes. The blades and redundant power supplies are hot-swappable. For networking they have Gb Ethernet, FibreChannel and InfiniBand modules available. Not only that, but the...
No, cubist is right. The state of Kentucky charges royalties for the use of the name Kentucky. Even the Kentucky Derby changed their name, and Kentucky Bluegrass is now called Shenandoah Bluegrass or something. Neil Diamond pulled a song off the air because his royalty payments to Kentucky would be more than he made from the air play.