or Connect

Posts by Carniphage

Wouldn't it be great if a company like Google were to write a competing app for the iPhone? Don't they have some kind of map service thing?     Of course, they'd have to put turn-by-turn directions into the app to make it competitive.
There's certainly a number of similarities in some Apple designs to some of Dieter Rams designs for Braun. Rams came up with a set of design principles which everyone doing industrial design should follow.   So is Apple copying Braun?  No, because Braun don't make computers, and Apple don't make electric razors.       One of Rams' principles is honesty. Stuff should look like what it is.   Metal should look like metal, plastic should look like plastic.  Apple has finally...
Siri is not a speech recognition technology. The speech-to-text part of the interface is a licensed bit of software from Nuance.
EU law (Directive 1999/44/EC) states that manufacturers are obliged to provide a two year warranty on all new goods.     The Directive applies to ·       any defective movable consumer product ·       any seller, that is to say any person who, under a contract, sells consumer goods in the course of their trade, profession or business ·       a producer, meaning the manufacturer of consumer goods, the importation of goods or any other person who purports to be...
Content creators sell their stuff to networks.  But if you own the rights to basketball, or Game of Thrones - what is the best way of turning that content into money? You don't have pick just one. You can pick all of them. The secret is not to devalue your products.  What will swing the compass is if content owners see 50% more revenue per user from iTV subscriptions versus cable.   My guess is that Apple will get rid of the single show purchase. The product will be...
In the UK cable isn't as big as the main phone provider. I get 70mbit broadband thru my phone line. But your point is well made. The cable companies will eventually have to morph into into companies that just move bits. Same as the mobile networks.
You say that... but....   The idea would be to create a publishing platform which works for the content owners.    These owners have always had options about how to best monetize their content. The iTV would be just another option.  They could easily elect to publish nationally or internationally.     What will influence their decision will simply be which of their many options gives them the best return.   With the iTV platform all they need to do is press a button and...
Imagine a TV where each channel had its own take on a user interface.   It's a nightmare scenario.  Utterly confusing for the end user - the digital equivalent of having a coffee table with ten different remote controls.  Yuck!   Now imagine a single elegant browsable hierarchy - user configured, easy to navigate - with each channel playing live content in thumbnails.  And when we click on a channel it is playing instantly. Not firing up some iOS application that then has...
The assumption behind the article is that the primary unique-selling-point of the iTV is 3rd party apps.   This assumption is, I think, completely wrong.   I strongly suspect that the iTV will be a platform for selling (channel-based) TV content. Not iOS applications.   Like any new platform, there will be hard work needed to get this off the ground. But in this case that hard work won't be about getting developers on board.  The hard work will be agreeing...
In terms of raw numbers, you are right. In terms of usability, the drive performance makes an astonishing difference. I have a Mac Pro, quad core, with 9Gigs of memory - running of a Velociraptor 10,000 RPM HDD. But to use, my recently upgraded MBP with an SSD feels like the faster machine. C.