or Connect

Posts by CityGuide

In Northern California at least, chasing down quadcopters and their irresponsible operators is an worthwhile endeavor.http://bit.ly/1L0smDV
 Their innovation smells like...fear.
Perhaps Mr. Gibney should reflect his own life in a documentary with the working title of "AG: Man in the Mirror." His personality is no less acerbic and his style no less confrontational than Jobs'. The main difference is one of them stated (and I'm paraphrasing) that he wanted to put a ding in the Universe. The ripples are still expanding thought as far as Apple is concerned. Gibney, not so much, though I give him credit for the Enron piece.
 MP3 players weren't considered particularly fashionable until the later iPods came around. Cell phones weren't widely considered fashionable until later iPhones hit the market (although the N95 was pretty eye-catching).The fact that Apple products appear in so many ads, scenes and placements alone tells you that it's considered more "fashionable" than the competition.Here's another thing. Many women are not interested in just fashion.
In an oblique way, this is another benefit of Apple's simplified product line.   Clearly, the iPhone is a desirable object as a gift.   The only real options are storage size and color. After that it's whether it's an older or newer model.  Functionally the differences are slight (better optics in the Plus).   But the unique silhouette of an iPhone is recognized by everyone. It even offers a unique signature (Sent from my iPhone). No worries about choosing the right...
Why bother with antediluvian transport systems like aircraft carriers?Add dollars to R&D so Jony & Team can begin sketching out the 2020 introduction of the Helicarrier.
Neither Intel nor Apple are a one-trick pony, but I can say that in the case of at least my employer, those chip purchases aren't all they're cracked up to be. Not only has virtualization reduced the number of servers I buy each year by a couple of hundred, but in the economic environment of the past five years we've stretched our minimum refresh period to four years, and even then we have to make an good argument for replacing a box. Its replacement is by default virtual...
The industry trend was ponderous, slow to act and mired in ennui when it came to thinking differently about mobility. They would never have given up Ethernet ports in laptops had the MacBook Air not shown a thin chassis trumps a plethora of ports.Same for removable batteries.Even today, "the industry" continues to produce products designed for what the consumer wanted yesterday. To say "If you build it, they will come" is cloyingly trite, but in the case of the Air it is...
I'll agree with that. Besides the articles in those publications, one of the very useful things for me were the adverts, many of which were for products I might not have known of otherwise.  Very diverse, as opposed to the highly-targeted and homogenous Google-driven page view.
 As a former working journalist with friends in what's left of the industry, I want to point out that chasing advertising is not new to Google.Ink costs money. Newsprint costs money. The intern who rewrites press releases needs a little coin to buy his or her McDonald's breakfast. Even in the heyday of the NYT, reader subscriptions didn't cover a quarter of the newspaper's operating expenses. But having a certified subscriber list meant the paper's business department...