or Connect

Posts by CityGuide

Neither Intel nor Apple are a one-trick pony, but I can say that in the case of at least my employer, those chip purchases aren't all they're cracked up to be. Not only has virtualization reduced the number of servers I buy each year by a couple of hundred, but in the economic environment of the past five years we've stretched our minimum refresh period to four years, and even then we have to make an good argument for replacing a box. Its replacement is by default virtual...
The industry trend was ponderous, slow to act and mired in ennui when it came to thinking differently about mobility. They would never have given up Ethernet ports in laptops had the MacBook Air not shown a thin chassis trumps a plethora of ports.Same for removable batteries.Even today, "the industry" continues to produce products designed for what the consumer wanted yesterday. To say "If you build it, they will come" is cloyingly trite, but in the case of the Air it is...
I'll agree with that. Besides the articles in those publications, one of the very useful things for me were the adverts, many of which were for products I might not have known of otherwise.  Very diverse, as opposed to the highly-targeted and homogenous Google-driven page view.
 As a former working journalist with friends in what's left of the industry, I want to point out that chasing advertising is not new to Google.Ink costs money. Newsprint costs money. The intern who rewrites press releases needs a little coin to buy his or her McDonald's breakfast. Even in the heyday of the NYT, reader subscriptions didn't cover a quarter of the newspaper's operating expenses. But having a certified subscriber list meant the paper's business department...
I don't believe Apple made that mistake. I don't believe they build for the vast majority of the public.
Manhattan's Hudson Yards project claims to be the largest real estate project in the U.S. right now:http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/
 Your description of the parklets sounds a lot like Highline Park.
"I imagine that Apple Pay/Passbook will eventually work in tandem so you can choose to subscribe to coupon feeds that retailers beam out over the internet (iAds?) or locally via iBeacons. Coupons and store card benefits could all be processed in the same swipe as the transaction. Customers hate carrying around twenty different store cards for discounts so this would provide a much better customer experience." This is what I don't get. Apple provided a way for MCX and...
A long time ago in a division of property my ex left with the Porsche and left me with the Mac and the LaserWriter. It wasn't so much the economics of the split as it was the apparent insult; all I used at work were PCs, and at home I ran my BBS from a CP/M machine. (I did say this was a long time ago.)   The next spring I attended my first MacWorld show. As Chryssie Hynde sang, I was stunned and amazed. I came home with some software and a bunch of wild ideas.   Two...
If I'm design chief of the most acclaimed consumer products company on the planet, agree to an interview arranged by my company's PR department (because you know that is the only way this happens) and it subsequently comes to my attention the interviewer has included these kind of inane observations on how I dress,  I will instruct the PR department that no future interviews will be granted to that individual. Nor to any employees of the publication by whom he or she is...