or Connect

Posts by muppetry

That seems very unlikely since it would be simple sensor focus stacking, not light field imaging. The rays in question should be the directionally-resolved rays separated at each image pixel location by a microlens and recorded on the actual sensor. That implies that the actual recording sensor (under the microlens array) is 40 MP, which is quite reasonable. The final iamge has the same pixel dimensions as the microlens array, and so if the new camera is using the same...
It can fly GPS waypoints to within the accuracy of the GPS location (should be a few meters). It may struggle to keep up with whippets though - it tops out around 30 mph.
From the description it is really making a time-resolved measurement of contact location and area, from which it will infer relative contact force. Nothing in that technique would permit absolute force measurements.
 I'm guessing that you already know, but they are quite different in their capabilities, primarily in that Chromecast is a single-output, remote streamer. As far as I'm aware, you can't send any local content to Chromecast unless you can somehow make it play in Chrome, and you can only send to the TV, or through the TV (provided it is switched on). That rules out streaming music and videos from iTunes, for example, even to your TV, and doesn't permit streaming audio or...
 I doubt that the "average user" has much use for this - it's just a very expensive RC helicopter unless you need its capabilities. But as a relatively long-range, long-linger, and autonomous (if necessary) aerial video, photography or surveillance platform, if that is what you need, it is quite powerful. It does have optional propeller guards.
 You can easily add a 5.8 GHz live SD video downlink to the GoPro version, or just upgrade to the upcoming LightBridge which provides long-range HD FPV and control (~ 1 mile) on a 2.4 GHz dual link.
 Fair enough, but if you were using FPV then I don't understand why you would not be able to tell which direction the device is facing. For professional video I agree that the bigger platforms are more suitable, but it is really quite remarkable what you can get with a GoPro-equipped Phantom, and there are plenty of examples on the web of very usable footage, with the wide-angle lens being the main limitation. The Phantom also provides significantly longer flight time,...
 Sounds like you didn't fly it using FPV, so yes - it would be very difficult. That's not the application under review.
 The GoPro is somewhat limiting with a fixed, and very wide, lens that is not ideally suited to aerial work, but it does produce great images. The Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse gimbal is optimized for the GoPro, and it doesn't need any balancing.
 The GoPro version is on a 2-axis gimbal, so has full tilt and rotation, and is also rather better stabilized as a result.