or Connect

Posts by muppetry

So, you took it back after two days, after finding that the battery lasted 5 days? Would you like to reconsider your story?
On the issue of battery life versus display, Pebble has, for the most part, succeeded. The display is always on, easily readable outdoors and indoors, and the battery life is 5 days. It does have far fewer functions than those anticipated for the iWatch, however.
It's only going to work as part of a larger structure that constrains the local radius of curvature. I'm not surprised that you were unable to make a freestanding flexible sapphire rod. I'm talking about thicknesses of no more than a couple of tens of microns, probably less.
Thanks for the clarification.
If the sapphire layer is thin enough (probably the top layer of a laminate) then in principle it could be sufficiently flexible for this purpose.
The distinction is somewhat semantic. Chemical treatment usually implies reaction, since any material addition otherwise must count as a chemical treatment, but I'm not sure that there is an accepted, standard definition.
The article says "published", which I took to mean it was granted.
They mention iron and titanium.
It's not regarded as a chemical treatment because it does not involve a chemical reaction per se, just physical bombardment.
Although, as the article mentions, inject enough foreign atoms or ions and you lose the ordered crystalline structure. Whether the resulting material still qualifies to be called sapphire, or meets the full definition of glass, could be questionable though, so you are probably correct.