or Connect

Posts by muppetry

Polymer composites have come a long way in terms of strength-to-weight ratio, and it's no surprise that a plastic phone can perform well in these tests. The design choice of aluminum is unlikely to be based on strength at all these days - more on the aesthetics of the device - and the trick is making Al structures strong enough.
I doubt that they adjusted, because the increased moment due to the length is real - in terms of how it affects load to failure. The reduced load to failure, relative to the 5, is not entirely explained by the increased length though- the remainder is probably just the design change in device thickness, material thickness etc.. The 6+ having higher load to failure than the 6 is curious in that context.
Don't think so. Odo is clearly a Poe (and quite funny at times). Frost has simply become a run-of-the-mill troll with no pretence of serious discussion.
Ah - so your definition of weak is that it can be bent using ones hands. Is that correct? Would you happen to have a source for that definition? Other than the guy in the movie, of course. I'm not being defensive - I'm attacking the total lack of any basis for your assertions.What's amusing, by which I mean quite pathetic, is that now that there are actual data to demonstrate that the phone is comparable to others in its class, you and others are now making stupid...
So you are saying that it should be physically impossible to destroy a phone with your bare hands, no matter how hard you try? Is that a requirement? Does the same apply to all your electronic devices? The more controlled tests indicate a mid-plane force of over 100 lbs was required to do that. Perfectly feasible for a strong pair of hands. Substantially stronger than an HTC One, for example. But not good enough by your arbitrary standards?
Agreed.
You now believe that based on a debunked YouTube video and a handful of reported complaints?
Well there's a huge surprise. Not. The phone is just fine - it bends and breaks just like any other if you apply enough force.
Right. Antenna diversity almost always results in improved reception characteristics in difficult conditions. Much harder to compromise two antennas at once, whether by alignment or detuning.
Agreed. But that's a review of the Verizon 4, not the original 4. Their article on the IP4 antenna issue was earlier, and quite well reasoned, pointing out that indeed it could be somewhat detuned by bridging but that overall it performed much better than the 3GS. And that design did persist unchanged for several years.http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2