or Connect

Posts by muppetry

I can't really tell where the GPS unit is from those images, but if you are correct, and it is outside the goggles, then that would explain it but seems like a very poor design choice.
 So instead of explaining, you just guessed.
 I guess I disagree. I use goggles any time that it is single digits and below, and the temperature inside the goggles is definitely much higher than outside, even with vents. And even if you were correct and the temperature inside the goggles did go that low, why would the HUD still work, but not the GPS?
Looks like a useful device, but the review makes no sense to me. Where, exactly, are the components that were exposed to below -4 F? Not the HUD in the goggles presumable, since, firstly, that kept working and, secondly, it should not be that cold inside the goggles. So where is the GPS unit, and why would one ever design it to be be exposed to the elements?
 Yes - that makes sense. I think I've been seduced by the "artists" impressions that imply sleek, curved bands with integrated screens. Maybe next year.
 Yes - I was wondering about that too. It would seem to rule out the flexible, curved design that keeps being floated.
 Exactly correct. Scratch resistance is dominated by hardness, while crack resistance is determined by both tensile strength and strain to failure.  In other words there are at least a couple of different reasons why a material may resist cracking: (1)  It has high strain to failure and will support substantial deformation without tensile failure (e.g. many plastics and ductile metals), but is not necessarily strong, and could be very weak. (2)  It has high tensile...
 I don't think everyone is saying that but, in any case, it is a misleading statement. Brittle simply means low strain to failure, but since strain is a function of stress, related by the appropriate modulus (in the elastic regime) and more complete constitutive equation (in the plastic regime), brittleness alone says nothing about ease of fracture. Sapphire is quite brittle, but also much stronger (especially in tension - which controls crack formation), and, if used on...
 Some email clients, including web-based ones, allow you to request receipts (it's just an additional header item) but they will only be returned if the recipient instructs his or her email client to do so.  Apple Mail does not request or send read receipts.
It just means that you have to press the "Load images" button in an email with linked (rather than embedded) images to view the images.