or Connect

Posts by muppetry

I'm confused - what kind of computing are you doing? From the memory requirements that you are quoting it sounds like large 3D numerical simulation, but that field has not been dominated by workstations for many years. We use clusters of Mac Pros for small problems to avoid the hassle of getting on the big machines, but not for anything serious. What kind of workstation setups are you referring to with 256 GB?
 Then why are they developing apps for iOS?  If you are correct then they don't need the Apple ecosystem and, in fact, would be better off without it since then they would not have to give up 30% of their profit.
Another application that I haven't seen mentioned, but which has extensive functionality in numerous areas beyond the obvious, is Path Finder.   As well as replacing Finder, it handles searching, application launching and switching, compressing and uncompressing, screen capture, text files and terminal emulation, all from one menu.
 Yes - Mavericks has the same separate controls, and I've seen no reasonable explanation for it.  I'm glad you found the post helpful.
 You really can't cite a single historical event as if it were definite evidence of future events, no matter how much it may appear, by your limited analysis, to parallel the current situation. It's just lazy thinking. And in terms of Android overwhelming Apple, you only need to check reference [29] in your table to determine the extent of the fronts on which that is occurring.
 Driving?
 But what will you do with it?
 OK. 1.  If the current common uses are hardware limited, then that is a trivially obvious observation. 2.  Follows from (1). 3.  An assertion, and the one that was originally disputed based on the historical evidence that hardware advances have always driven new applications and uses.  We have seen this continuously even in the evolution of the smartphone.  Why would it mysteriously stop now?  This appears to be simply imagination failure on your part. 4.  Yes - we know...
 Quite recently you dodged the question (from myself and others) on whether you really needed an example that hardware development drives software development, since you seemed to be disputing that.  Perhaps you could summarize your primary point(s), as opposed to your interest, because having read this thread in its entirety, I cannot fathom what you are currently trying to argue. 
 Yes - perhaps some are doing that and they are easy targets, but it's the others, who are not, that you are dodging.