or Connect

Posts by muppetry

OK - I see what you are saying. It's predicated on an incorrect assumption - namely that the developers are a single entity providing the software for Apple's platform, which permits the argument that Apple needs the developers but the developers don't need Apple because they could develop for a different platform.  This ignores the market forces that define iOS as the most profitable platform by far, and renders the individual developers powerless to affect that...
 Now you are clutching at straws.  Possible...could... if... theoretically....  So, if the developers could sell their apps elsewhere, would that ensure that the app makes money?  Or is that another completely irrelevant distraction to the discussion?
 What I read, which you repeatedly asserted, is that the developers would make money with or without Apple's help. It was a ridiculous claim to make, and I'm not surprised that you are now backing off to the trivial observation that Apple does not guarantee them an income.
 I'm confused - what kind of computing are you doing? From the memory requirements that you are quoting it sounds like large 3D numerical simulation, but that field has not been dominated by workstations for many years. We use clusters of Mac Pros for small problems to avoid the hassle of getting on the big machines, but not for anything serious. What kind of workstation setups are you referring to with 256 GB?
 Then why are they developing apps for iOS?  If you are correct then they don't need the Apple ecosystem and, in fact, would be better off without it since then they would not have to give up 30% of their profit.
Another application that I haven't seen mentioned, but which has extensive functionality in numerous areas beyond the obvious, is Path Finder.   As well as replacing Finder, it handles searching, application launching and switching, compressing and uncompressing, screen capture, text files and terminal emulation, all from one menu.
 Yes - Mavericks has the same separate controls, and I've seen no reasonable explanation for it.  I'm glad you found the post helpful.
 You really can't cite a single historical event as if it were definite evidence of future events, no matter how much it may appear, by your limited analysis, to parallel the current situation. It's just lazy thinking. And in terms of Android overwhelming Apple, you only need to check reference [29] in your table to determine the extent of the fronts on which that is occurring.
 Driving?
 But what will you do with it?