or Connect

Posts by muppetry

The US Government is not going to compound the damage done by the leaks by revealing the extent and detail of that damage. You cannot read anything into the lack of that information.
Well thanks for the label. As I said - you are making judgements on very limited information, and have bought into his explanation for his actions, presumably because it aligns well with your government conspiracy theories. Had he taken the conventional whistleblower route then I would have no issues at all. What he did bore no resemblance to that, far exceeded what was needed even had he concluded that the regular whistleblower mechanism was not to be trusted, and ended...
Very amusing, but I don't think you are helping. Although I have to admit that my approach is not, thus far, demonstrably any more successful.
OK - well perhaps we can resume once you have found the time. I'll admit that I'm frustrated that you seem to find plenty of time to post erroneous material, and yet can't find time to read key documents first, but there is no condescension behind that observation. I'm also frustrated that you don't address most of my rebuttals, for example on your Sokal Affair argument to name just one. You just move seamlessly on as if it never occurred. I'm left wondering how you came...
I really have to disagree - he is nothing at all resembling a hero, even if he did usefully expose some overreaching activities. If you knew more detail of his actions I suspect that you might modify your viewpoint.
 But note that communications and communications metadata are arguably not the same, which means that it probably comes down to interpretation, and is part of the confusion. I'm pretty sure that the Fourth Amendment had little to say about metadata.
There is part of the problem in a nutshell - many of those who oppose programs such as these are unaware of the benefits, and unaware of the risks, and end up guessing that the benefits are small and the risks, in terms of loss of privacy, are high. Unfortunately it's a bit of a Catch 22 situation. Clandestine operations don't work nearly as well if they are advertised, either how they work or what they produce. But, at some point, when the targets of the operation are the...
I'm not sure that you are correct, at least in terms of current judgements. The Second Circuit Court of Appeals in New York, for example, would probably beg to differ with your assertion, having ruled that the NSA exceeded the boundaries of federal law on data collection.
I think that you are conflating two different issues. It's quite possible to disapprove of Snowden's actions without approving of, or defending, the unlawful data collection..