or Connect

Posts by muppetry

Fair enough, but if you were using FPV then I don't understand why you would not be able to tell which direction the device is facing. For professional video I agree that the bigger platforms are more suitable, but it is really quite remarkable what you can get with a GoPro-equipped Phantom, and there are plenty of examples on the web of very usable footage, with the wide-angle lens being the main limitation. The Phantom also provides significantly longer flight time,...
 Sounds like you didn't fly it using FPV, so yes - it would be very difficult. That's not the application under review.
 The GoPro is somewhat limiting with a fixed, and very wide, lens that is not ideally suited to aerial work, but it does produce great images. The Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse gimbal is optimized for the GoPro, and it doesn't need any balancing.
 The GoPro version is on a 2-axis gimbal, so has full tilt and rotation, and is also rather better stabilized as a result.
 Especially with the new LightBridge dual control and HD FPV link that seems to have a range of at least one mile.
 That might now be possible following the recent ruling that the FAA do not have legal authority to outlaw commercial drone use. They are appealing that decision though.
 No I'm not forgetting that.  Firstly, cell towers can use microwave for backhaul, but even with the trend towards more efficient optical links, it is still much cheaper to run optical fibers to a limited number of cell towers than to run fiber or cable to every property.
 I agree with your hypothesis (2). Cell phone technology now provides a much cheaper route to voice and data in less developed countries than investing in landline infrastructure.
 I think he probably meant that sapphire is homogeneous and isotropic whereas GG is not, rather than that the sapphire would not be part of a laminate.
 (1)  No contest - even with the surface compressive layer of GG, sapphire is much harder and much more scratch resistant. (2)  Assuming that the impact damage of the kind that you describe arises from tensile failure during the dynamic loading with quasi-uniaxial stress, sapphire has the higher ultimate tensile and shear strength, and will survive higher stresses than GG. But note that the induced stresses are also a function of the elastic moduli (the stress/strain...