or Connect

Posts by muppetry

If that is your experience then you are buying poorly designed or poorly manufactured equipment, and apparently are perfectly willing to accept it without complaint. I'm a bit more demanding - I expect devices to work for the purpose for which they are designed.  All that we have established is your ignorance of the recreational winter sports industry. A trip to any ski area will demonstrate that temperatures around 0 F are not remotely a deterrent to recreational skiers....
 I don't know. Perhaps because the processes that limit human performance are completely unrelated to those that affect electronics? The logical extension of your argument - projecting human fragility onto other devices -would be that nothing should be expected to work at those temperatures. Obviously that is absurd. It's especially absurd for a device intended to function in the range of conditions encountered while skiing.
 That does sound like a hardware fault of some kind, but certainly no guarantee that it is the battery. Have you talked to Apple about it? They might be willing to exchange the phone.
Thanks for the advice. You may also be aware, if you are actually an MD, that there is a big difference in the physiological effects of cold air depending on your level of exertion, with racing events at one extreme of that spectrum, but from your post I'm guessing that you are completely unaware of the amount of recreational activity that takes place at such temperatures without injury.
Strange - I've exposed my iPhone to much colder conditions and never had that happen.
The added subtlety, of course, is that there is generally a difference between ambient temperature and device temperature, especially for devices (or organisms) that produce heat.
 And fortunately, these devices also work at negative elevations.
 Theodolite is an excellent app. In the US, the ScenicMap apps are very functional offline, and Topo Maps has the best set of USGS maps that I have found so far. Galileo is good for custom offline map production.
 Hard to spend much time above 10,000 ft in the Netherlands, I would guess.
No doubt the question was about commercial, but general aviation rules do allow cabin pressure altitudes much higher than 10,000 ft.