or Connect

Posts by muppetry

As a followup to your previous "no need for personal attacks" comment immediately above, this is, perhaps, a post that you might want to reconsider.
This is close to the crux of the debate. If the baker were asked to make a cake depicting something that he found offensive, whether it be swastikas or gay sex, then there could be reasonable grounds for him to decline. But if he declines to bake a cake just on the basis of the lifestyle of the customer, then that is going to be construed as simple discrimination.
 I agree. It's completely outrageous that upstanding, god-fearing citizens should be forced into gay relationships and same-sex marriage.
I didn't ask what he thought, and I'm not fighting any great evil. Should I take your deflection and lack of response to my question as tacit admission that I'm right?
 The motivations that drive people to science are unconnected with the scientific principles that they apply in conducting research. The biggest motivator is generally curiosity, which is exactly the right mindset to start with. If the motivation is to prove a pet theory then that person will likely be a poor scientist. And now you are confusing unknowns with unknowables. And still missing my point that science doesn't prove positives, only disprove them. So no - of course...
Seriously - every time you respond to his silly, baiting posts you give him a reason to continue posting. 
Quote: No - I'm not trying to, nor have I succeeded in, proving anything, and you read all kinds of things that I didn't say. What you seem to regard as a limitation of science is its very strength. It makes no unqualified assumptions, and regards all theories as disposable. Science almost never proves anything - that privilege is reserved for mathematics only. And in doing that you missed my central point again. Science never proved geocentrism - it just used it as the...
Or at least please stop quoting him. These threads are much better without his anti-Apple trolling or ridiculous religious and political posts.
Just curious - where do you see this "McCarthyism"? In that there is a widespread view that it is wrong to discriminate against citizens because of their sexual orientation? We should all be equally outraged by that, I'm sure. In fact, you are just using the common tactic of fantasizing a future for which there are no indicators simply to bolster your argument, or rather make up for your lack of one.