or Connect

Posts by muppetry

Quite likely you could, but you would not be able to make an explosive device with that material.
  None of my arguments are contrary to any of that. I completely agree with your comments here and previously about dealing with the individual issues and changing the culture, but it does not mean that regulatory methods have no place and should not also be optimized.       His point is not just invalid, it is an ad hominem attack. It does not even address whether my observation was correct, although I assume that he is, rather bizarrely, claiming that it is not. And so...
  The contrast between guns and explosives does not strengthen your argument at all; in fact it considerably weakens it. Violent crime involving explosives is virtually non-existent in the US, and for very simple reasons.   Commercial secondary explosives cannot be purchased in the US without an ATF license; military explosives cannot be purchased at all. Both are difficult to obtain illegally since their storage is heavily regulated. Even if they are acquired they are...
  No, I get it, and I am not in favor of banning gun ownership anyway, as you would have noticed had you bothered to read my earlier post. But nice attempt to change the subject.
  But unlicensed gun ownership, which would be the logical equivalent of owning explosives, is not.   Priceless? Which guys? Is that really all you have as an argument? That is quite pitiful.
  Except I wasn't even invoking my experience as authority. Although his guess is way off target, I only wrote "in my experience" to forestall the inevitable "prove it" demands that ensue when any statement resembling an assertion of a wider extent of fact is made. So while you are correct that his expression of disbelief is a purely ad hominem argument, he also, apparently, completely missed the point of the comment.   I actually wasn't expecting anyone to argue with the...
  How on earth would you have any clue what my level of experience is? Other than that I alluded to having some level of experience which you apparently doubt, for no apparent reason that I can see. In any case, your doubt is most definitely misplaced on this one.
  Pointing out the obvious difficulties of proactively mitigating this particular event does not constitute a good argument for the adequacy of current regulations, in my opinion. Unless you believe that a solution lies in reduced gun control, then either we have got it just right or it could be improved. The system may have worked fine denying this subject legal access to firearms, but he found easy access to other legally owned firearms in his own house. That suggests,...
  What does that have to do with the argument regarding guns? Unlicensed ownership of explosives is illegal. 
  Unfortunately if, as you mentioned, you have no training, then more likely you would have ended up as another of the casualties. That also applies to most casual gun owners in my experience.   The high level of private ownership of weapons in the US really is a double-edged sword (please excuse the unintended pun). The higher probability of encountering armed victims has to be a deterrent against many types of crime, especially the home-invasion variety, and offers a...