or Connect

Posts by Henriok

The reason they scrapped Home on iPod way back when was due to the fact that Hitachi's 1.8" disks was very slow and wasn't made to support the load such a feature would demand. It worked though, and I tried it during the beta, but it was very slow. Some functionality remains today. If you attach a disk with user homes on, you are offered to log into those accounts too, besides local users. There's no straight forward way of syncing and moving home folders onto an external...
It does. The fifth core is a very low power ARM7 core that is used for low performance tasks (think of it as a processor for the original iPod), and when nothing heavy is running the chip will completely power down the whole core Cortex-A9 complex. Quite clever idea. Nota bene that the ARM7 core isn't using the high performance ARMv7 ISA that is the Cortex-A8/A9/A15 is using, it's using the ARMv4 ISA, that is much older and less performant. For code to run on ARM7 cores,...
Those share were non convertible, non voting shares, and MS had to keep them for at least 5 years. IIRC, MS sold them pretty much as soon as they could, and made a very nice profit. Not as nice a profit as they would have gotten if they kept them until present day, but still…
One must understand that there's a counter-RDF that arises where fronteirs of Apples success encounters the MeToo-Plagirisers and Freetards domains. Like the Samsung and Motorola apologists that insists that Xoom and Galaxy Tab doesn't ripoff the design and success of iPad. And the folks at Google who designs Anrdoid to be as similar to iOS as they possibly can without being astoundingly obvious. The delusion of being inventive when you're just engaging in mimicry is tragic.
Excellent of Nintendo to show the world how to be innovative and not steal a single thing from Apple. Kudos!
Apple made a $800 million loss in 1996 and $1 billion loss in 1997. One billion in cash wouldn't have lasted them long, but neither would a $150 million "bailout" from Microsoft. The largest contribution was probably the vote of confidence from Microsoft and the promise of Office and Internet Explorer.
Cool. Is the Infineon chip in other devices capable of 1080p but Apple choses not to use it for more than 720p? If that's the case, you would be correct in that argument would be moot for the AppleTV. Arguments based in platform consistency, bandwidth, storage and such are still valid though.
It's most certainly not zero. One suggested 16 GB but I find that very hard to believe at the 99 dollar pricepoint. 16 GB would be a massive overkill if the only purpose is to cache streamed content. The rumor was 4 GB iirc, and that seems more reasonable given the price and purpose. That would be enough for apps too. We haven't seen apps yet but that doesn't mean that they won't come in the future. We didn't see any apps for the first iPhone either. They must build an SDK...
The A4 general processing core does not come even close to render 1080p in real time. That's something that's hard for a 2 GHz Core 2 processor to do. The A4 processor have special h264 decoding provisions and it's these that render the video. It seems that Apple isn't pushing it here. It _might_ be capable, and several competing chips does support 1080p, but they have probably made a judgement call here to not offer it. I think it's perfectly reasonable as per the...
I've always wondered how FaceTime would work to devices that doesn't have telephony, such as computers and iPod touches. How does the initiating device know where to call? I thought that FaceTime uses telephony for discovery and handshaking. Does anyone have a good take on this?