or Connect

Posts by benanderson89

Stop going off topic. I never said I was dependant on Flash, I never said you didn't care about HTML5. Oh look, google found a great animation example in HTML5. http://9elements.com/io/projects/html5/canvas/ Comparable to Flash? Oh my yes! Its running perfectly fine on my Celeron Based Windows 7 Laptop in full screen (1366x768) in IE9 at around 60% CPU usage. A 720p (slightly lower resolution) youtube video (far less demanding task) in flash is using 55% of the CPU. Wow......
What? You are going completely off topic here. You said find an equivalent to Flash in interactivity and graphics, so I showed you Quake II. Then you said show battery life, so I showed activity monitor shots with brief explanations.
Equivalent in Flash? There's enough online multiplayer games on the internet - pick one and go for it.
Considering the patents they have just bought affect EVERY competing device on the market, I think thats a very broad range indeed. I also beleive they mean 'broad' as in the number of applications this patent can relate to - given that swiping to change views is pretty much one of the basic principals of touch screen technology - well, you can figure it out from there.
First Point, H.264 - Yes its a codec wonderful for working it out. The point he was trying to make was that h264 video would be rendered by the browser, not by flash and the output from flash then rendered by the browser. Interactivity? How many times am I going to have to point out that Quake II video? A full FPS game in 3D with network multiplayer and up-to 60fps in HTML5 and Javascript, nothing else, just HTML5 and Javascript. Is that Interactive? Dear sweet christ yes!...
To be fair, that was 106 years ago, I think its safe to call it an "old saying".
Pardon me whilst I go grab some popcorn, because this is going to be one mother of a show!
WebGL is in SL right now I believe, the Quake II HTML 5 clone requires WebGL and runs fine in Safari. HTML5 more resource intensive my backside. Three tabs, two has static sites, one tab playing a Flash YouTube video. The Flash plugin has 15 threads and settled at around 22 to 23% CPU usage on a Quad Core i7 Thunderbolt MBP, whilst Safari itself has 23 Threads and 6% CPU Usage. Flash alone is also using nearly 60mb of RAM. This is the new, hardware accelerated Flash...
Yes but it is still on the Fly, and the AVM (ActionScript Virtual Machine) is not exactly "light on resources". As for Flash being the "Enemy of Battery Life" - it is, because of how hard it has to work the hardware to get the desired results. If its a headless operation (IE: No GUI) then it can be comparable to HTML5 and Javascript, but the second you add a GUI, all those rendered bitmaps and vectors can really start to suck power dry.Of course I can't find XML in that...
Some points I would like to pick up on: 1) You do realise that ActionScript (the language of Flash) is also interpereted on the fly as well, right? Flash doesn't just magically appear, it too is mile after mile of raw source code and XML as well - Javascript and Actionscript are EMCA Script varients and are near identicle and speed is judged by how fast the code can be interprited. Which brings me to point 2; 2) The speed of modern Javascript interpriters is becoming...