or Connect

Posts by benanderson89

Irony: Buy one, get one free.I never noticed this, since the iDisk portion of my MobileMe subscription collects dust as I have a home server in the next room running as a webdav service. Three years of security lectures on my Undergraduate makes me paranoid of my information.
Just as solipsism described with iTunes, Outlook is also restricted to what it can access. Outlook access the email protocols (SMTP, POP and IMAP) as well Microsoft Exchange. They are secured (SSL) and password protected connections. Any HTML formatted email will use the webkit engine to fetch and render the information via HTTP/HTTPS, and that will be the 64-bit engine underlying OSX.Flash Player is entirely different. Although it appears to be running inside Safari, it...
iTunes is not a browser plugin, it should be 64-bit but it doesn't have any major cause for concern with regards to security since it tends not to access the Internet, same with products from Microsoft - since when does Word need to access a website? It doesn't, it just leaves it up-to the installed web browser. The Flash Player, on the other hand, delivers content from the Internet. Adobe tout "security updates" so much with each new release of the Flash Player then leave...
The flash plugin has actually gotten far better recently. I played a video in Quicktime X and a youtube flash video. Both the plugin and Quicktime according to Activity Monitor both used around 10% of the CPU (I know it says 14.5 in the screen shot below but I just caught the plugin as it was initialising, it hovers around ten once loaded). So its performance, at least for video, is what you would expect. HOWEVER, I will point out one VERY big flaw with flash player...
Thank you very much for being the voice of reason in an otherwise chaotic thread full of people who like to complain.
Very well put. Microsoft don't have some of the worlds leading software services out of sheer luck, just like Apple don't have the worlds most revered Industrial designs by wishing on a star.
As much as people are hating on Microsoft in a very big way, you have to remember that, yes, Balmer is a monumental idiot, but he's not the one sitting infront of the IDE. He also wont limit other platforms' use of the service, because if they do, thats a LOT of money going down the toilet and a bad reputation for the Skype name, and therefore a gigantic loss for Microsoft. I'd rather have Microsoft be in charge of Skype than Facebook or Google. Facebook? Really? What do...
I have broadband, I like downloading stuff, but when it comes to the operating system I would MUCH rather have a physical disk. If my computer dies then I would have to install Snow Leopard, update it to get the app store, restore all my files, download the update again and THEN get back to using Lion. However, I'll be more than happy to download if you have the option to burn the resulting file to a bootable DVD.
I know all of you are saying to look forward, but really, I do not see ARM beating x86 anytime in the foreseeable future. We've only JUST gotten ARM processor that match the power and performance of a seven year old PowerBook G4. Seven years! The ARM A-15 looks like a good chip, up-to 4-cores, 2.5GHz, up-to 1TB memory - that would easily beat up an Atom. Could it beat up an i7? Of course not. Could it beat up a Core2Duo? Of course not. I wouldn't be surprised if it...
At first, I was going to dismiss Lion of being just some useless spit and polish on a DVD. Though, all these recent articles are making me want to upgrade to it! I might wait until the 10.7.1 update before I actually commit to it - twas a bad Ideal with snow leopard when I tried it!