or Connect
AppleInsider › Products › Accessories › Apple Time Capsule - 2TB (MD032LL/A)

Apple Time Capsule - 2TB (MD032LL/A)

Posted

Pros: Super Easy Setup

Cons: Can't find the setting to enable Wide Channel in the 5.0 Ghz network

I spent quite a bit of time reading the setup manuals and various Apple articles about manually setting up this device since I have an unusual setup, and the setup manuals indicated I would have to set it up manually.

On the network I was connecting the Time Capsule to has a Linksys SD2008 8 port Gigabit switch to which is hooked a Vonage Device, and I think four wired Windows computers.  This switch is in turn hooked to a Linksys WRT54G router which is hooked to the cable modem and a printer is also hooked to the router. The router incorporates a 2.4 Ghz network.  

I hooked the Time Capsule to the switch and plugged in the power, and after a couple of minutes it updated it's firmware from Version 7.6 to Version 7.6.1, and then it automatically configured itself in Bridge Mode, since it was being added to an existing network, created both a 2.4 Ghz network and a 5.0 Ghz network, and was assigned private IP address in the range 192.168.1.10X.  Not only that, it apparently detected that the Linksys wireless router component was using Channel 6 and the Time Capsule is using Channel 1 even though I had left it on Auto for the channel selection. The MacBook connected to the Time Capsule by it's wireless network also received a private IP Address in the range 192.168.1.10X from the Linksys router.

This was all done automatically and I wouldn't have needed to spend the time reading all those setup manuals.  The only thing that wasn't apparent is that you have to enable the 5.0 Ghz network separately by checking a box under Wireless, Wireless Options and then if you want the computer to connect to the 5.0 Ghz network every time rather than to the 2.4 Ghz network, you have to go to Network settings and drag that network to the top in your preferred network order.

The only thing that is not readily apparent is how to select Wide Channel in the 5.0 Ghz network.

Apple Time Capsule - 2TB (MD032LL/A)
Description:

Back up a lifetime's worth of memories with Time Capsule, a wireless hard drive that works seamlessly with Time Machine in Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard. It's also a full-featured 802.11n Wi-Fi base station with simultaneous dual-band support. Guest networking - Set up a separate Wi-Fi network with a separate password for your visitors. Simply enable the guest networking feature, and your guests can use the Internet but can't access other parts of your private network, such as your computers, printers and attached hard drives. Wireless drive sharing - Time Capsule also works great as a wireless hard drive, whether you have a Mac or a PC. It sets up in a snap, giving you a networked hard drive you can use for storing and sharing all kinds of files. Print without wires - Print documents, photos and more from any room in your home or office to a central printer connected to Time Capsule via USB. Strong security and access controls - Protect yourself with the built-in firewall and industry-standard encryption technologies including WPA/WPA2 and 128-bit WEP. Works with iPad, iPhone, Apple TV and more - Time Capsule works with Mac computers, PCs, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Apple TV and virtually all 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless devices. System Requirements - Mac with Mac OS X v.10.5.7+ or Windows XP/Vista/7 and Ethernet or WiFi capability

Details:
DetailValue
BindingPersonal Computers
BrandApple
CatalogNumberList|CatalogNumberListElementMD032LL/A
EAN0885909480982
EANList|EANListElement0885909480982
FeaturePackage Content - Time Capsule, Printed documentation, Power cord Time Capsule works with Time Machine in Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard to create the perfect no-hassle backup solution. The massive 2TB server-grade hard drive gives you all the capacity and safety you need for backing up all your Mac computers. Connect your DSL or cable modem to Time Capsule, then quickly set it up with the AirPort Utility, which is available as download Time Capsule works simultaneously on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, allows the network to use the band automatically. In minutes,you and up to 50 others can use your Mac computers or PCs to surf the web, stream video, share photos without wires. It uses the latest 802.11n wireless technology. New technologies in Time Capsule and refinements to Time Machine make backing up up to 75 per cent faster than before. The massive 2TB server-grade hard drive gives you all the capacity and safety you need for backing up all your Mac computers Time Capsule works with Time Machine in Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard to create the perfect no-hassle backup solution
HardwarePlatformMac
LabelApple Computer
ManufacturerApple Computer
ModelMD032LL/A
MPNMD032LL/A
OperatingSystemMacintosh
Package Height5.7 inches
Package Length11.4 inches
Package Weight4.85 pounds
Package Width11.3 inches
PackageQuantity1
PartNumberMD032LL/A
ProductGroupPC Accessory
ProductTypeNameNETWORKING_DEVICE
PublisherApple Computer
SKU171358F
StudioApple Computer
TitleApple Time Capsule 2TB MD032LL/A [NEWEST VERSION]
UPC885909480982
UPCList|UPCListElement885909480982
Item Weight3 pounds
PlatformMac Windows
FormatCD-ROM
Models:
Model Name/TypeMPNEAN/UPC
AppleInsider › Products › Accessories › Apple Time Capsule - 2TB (MD032LL/A)