or Connect
AppleInsider › Products › Accessories › Apple Time Capsule - 2TB (MD032LL/A) › Reviews › biyahero's Review

Intermediate Network Experience

A Review On: Apple Time Capsule - 2TB (MD032LL/A)

Apple Time Capsule - 2TB (MD032LL/A)

Rated # 2 in Accessories
See all 1 reviews
Purchased on:
Price paid: $299.00
biyahero
Posted · 3890 Views · 4 Comments

Pros: Super Easy Setup

Cons: Can't find the setting to enable Wide Channel in the 5.0 Ghz network

I spent quite a bit of time reading the setup manuals and various Apple articles about manually setting up this device since I have an unusual setup, and the setup manuals indicated I would have to set it up manually.

On the network I was connecting the Time Capsule to has a Linksys SD2008 8 port Gigabit switch to which is hooked a Vonage Device, and I think four wired Windows computers.  This switch is in turn hooked to a Linksys WRT54G router which is hooked to the cable modem and a printer is also hooked to the router. The router incorporates a 2.4 Ghz network.  

I hooked the Time Capsule to the switch and plugged in the power, and after a couple of minutes it updated it's firmware from Version 7.6 to Version 7.6.1, and then it automatically configured itself in Bridge Mode, since it was being added to an existing network, created both a 2.4 Ghz network and a 5.0 Ghz network, and was assigned private IP address in the range 192.168.1.10X.  Not only that, it apparently detected that the Linksys wireless router component was using Channel 6 and the Time Capsule is using Channel 1 even though I had left it on Auto for the channel selection. The MacBook connected to the Time Capsule by it's wireless network also received a private IP Address in the range 192.168.1.10X from the Linksys router.

This was all done automatically and I wouldn't have needed to spend the time reading all those setup manuals.  The only thing that wasn't apparent is that you have to enable the 5.0 Ghz network separately by checking a box under Wireless, Wireless Options and then if you want the computer to connect to the 5.0 Ghz network every time rather than to the 2.4 Ghz network, you have to go to Network settings and drag that network to the top in your preferred network order.

The only thing that is not readily apparent is how to select Wide Channel in the 5.0 Ghz network.

4 Comments:

I set it up so that I see mywifi and myWIDEwifi.... that way I can select which devices use which segment.
OP is what's wrong with people using computers, they assume they're technical because they can throw high school level networking jargon, but can't find their way through a simple configuration. Is it really that difficult to go to "Wireless Options" and then tick "Use Wide Channels", or are most people this clueless now days?
i just usb a seagate FreeAgent to a windows machine and shared the drive in the network, I did partition the drive into 2 even partitions one for me one for everyone else Can this drive be partitioned as such? my android phone can link to the drive viva the Wifi/intranet,cable router,dlink 4 p Wifi, 24p sw, 10 M$ computers, 2 iphones, 12 android phones/tablets, 2 File servers, 5 printers.
It's easy to criticize others as mindless when you think you know everything, radoactive76, but in fact it IS hard to tick "Use Wide Channels" when that option no longer exists.
According to Supervisor "Jared" in the Wireless Multimedia Group at Apple Support, Apple has removed the option to select Wide Channels in the newer versions of the Airport Utility which formerly was under Advanced Wireless Options because it will make this choice for you automatically if the location you are in would benefit from that selection. He also said that as far as the Channel for the 2.4 Ghz network, the Time Capsule scans the area where it is operating and determines if there are any other 2.4 Ghz networks that might conflict with it and sets the channel it operates on accordingly. That is why he says that my Time Capsule is operating on Channel 1 in the 2.4 Ghz band because it senses the Linksys nearby operating on Channel 6. He says that most Time Capsules will operate on Channel 1 or Channel 11 in the 2.4 Ghz band.
Apparently you are using an old outdated version of the Airport Utility if you still see that option.
AppleInsider › Products › Accessories › Apple Time Capsule - 2TB (MD032LL/A) › Reviews › biyahero's Review