CNBC poll predicts sales of 17M iPods this holiday

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
According to the second edition of CNBC's Holiday Central survey, some 8 percent of those polled expect said they expect to buy one of Apple Computer's iPod digital music players this holiday shopping season.

Based on the network's extrapolations, that means the Cupertino, Calif.-based company will likely see sales of around 17 million units.

Assuming an average selling price of $159 per iPod, Apple stands to reap $2.7 billion in revenue from the sales of the players alone, CNBC reported on the its Monday edition of "Power Lunch."

The same survey found that only 3 percent of those polled plan to buy a Nitendo Wii or Sony PlayStation 3, while just 2 percent have their sights set on Microsoft's Xbox 360.

The findings suggest that for a second straight year, the iPod will be the top selling "must have" holiday gadget.

CNBC's prediction of 17 million iPods falls smack in the middle of various Wall Street analyst estimates, which range from 14 million to 20 million units.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    how many were going to get a zune?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Holy Crabcakes!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    ..'cause I don't think that the poll didn't ask how many of them were going to buy more than one iPod!

reinharden
  • Reply 4 of 18
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Not to mention, that does not account for all the people who did not take the survey!

I think Microsoft was aiming for 1 million by what was it....June? Yup, Microsoft will be the leaders in the digital music arena any day now! I think it's safe to say Apple will sell more iPods in one quarter than Microsoft will Zunes in one [financial] year!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Hmm...you know, I didn't think hard about their numbers.

US population == 300 million. 8% of US population = 24 million.

Add in whatever random amount pleases you for the rest of the world.

Of course, 8% of the US population is too high considering that not all 300 million of the US population are out of diapers. ;-)

Anyway, no matter how you figure it, I still think they might be low on the number. Assuming Apple makes enough.

reinharden
  • Reply 6 of 18
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i want you all to know how much i have contributed to that number

8 shuffles, 1 nano red

60 itunes downloads this month

long live the ipod
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I while back, I predicted between 18-20M units for iPod and .4M for Zune. I also came up with a slightly higher unit selling price of $173 based on the following breakup:

Shuffle ($79) --> 30% of Total Units Sold

Nano 2GB ($149) --> 15%

Nano 4 GB ($199) --> 30%

Nano 8 GB ($249) --> 5%

Video 30GB ($249) -->15%

Video 80GB ($349) --> 5%
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Ordered and had engraved a pink 4GB nano for my girlfriend (her Chrsitmas gift).

FYI: Amazon has a limited number of Zune's for $90.00.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I say we all max out our credit cards buying every Zune in sight before Christmas, hold on to them until the 2nd to last return date, and return the fuckin' things. Screw MicroShaft and their short-sighted ideas. When you create a product with customers in mind you succeed. When you create products strictly for profit and churn out the lowest common denominator as far as quality and ingenuity goes you will lose. Peace out Microsoft, and VIVA APPLE!! w00t!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwswami

I while back, I predicted between 18-20M units for iPod and .4M for Zune. I also came up with a slightly higher unit selling price of $173 based on the following breakup:

Nano 2GB ($149) --> 15%

Nano 4 GB ($199) --> 30%

Nano 8 GB ($249) --> 5%

Video 30GB ($249) -->15%

Video 80GB ($349) --> 5%

How did you come up with those numbers?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stustanley

how many were going to get a zune?

Two, Gates and Balmer.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psilopsyche

I say we all max out our credit cards buying every Zune in sight before Christmas, hold on to them until the 2nd to last return date, and return the fuckin' things. Screw MicroShaft and their short-sighted ideas.

Yeah! That will show them!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo

Ordered and had engraved a pink 4GB nano for my girlfriend (her Chrsitmas gift).

FYI: Amazon has a limited number of Zune's for $90.00.

what was the engraving? (if i might be so bold) I always have the hardest damn time commiting (to the engraving) because it will be set in stone.

actually this is a good new forum topic in general as we're spinnning our wheels waiting for san fran.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Why can't AI get a story straight? First was yesterday's misreading of the Forrester report which any kid who can read and do simple math could have figured was bogus and now this.

The CNBC survey was for the US ALONE!

How many iPods might be sold in the rest of the planet? Last quarter, international sales represented 40% of Apple's revenues. If 17m iPods might be sold in the US, there could be another 6 or 7m sold in the rest of the world for a total of 23.8m. Let's say they aren't as iPod-crazed as we are so maybe add 5m to the 17m for a total of 22m.

Come on, AI, get the freakin' stories straight!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Two shuffles, and two silver 2GB nanos in 2 years. So very much waiting on the video iPod. Just make it happen before I die will ya Apple??? Not that I plan on dying anytime soon mind ya!

Predictions are what they are, just a prediction. I predict that I will by another iPod in the future. Bet CNBC didn't predict that!!!! Suckers!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I would mind if someone bought me a new shuffle for christmas. Are you listen people that know me? ARE YOU!?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    (keeping a careful eye on Rolo) Hand me the tranquilizer dart, Betty.....
  • Reply 18 of 18
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwswami View Post

Nano 2GB ($149) --> 15%

Nano 4 GB ($199) --> 30%

Nano 8 GB ($249) --> 5%

Video 30GB ($249) -->15%

Video 80GB ($349) --> 5%

Wow! I guess I was in the ballpark...