Neooffice 2.1 Released

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
After a long hiatus, it looks like the project has picked up steam again (probably due to OpenOffice Aqua development).

You can get the 2.1 release of Neooffice here:

http://download.neooffice.org/neojav...d.php#download

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I tried to download but I got an error page. They must be slammed.

I'll give'em a try later.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    iveive Posts: 23member
    What a good move!

Away with the linux/wintendo icons!

It feels a lot snappier on my machine... (intel1.83ghz)
  • Reply 3 of 62
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    nevermind.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I tried to download but I got an error page. They must be slammed.

I'll give'em a try later.

It should work now. I used the torrent, all the mirrors were sloooooow.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    How is this giong for everyone? I have played around with it quite a bit and am thinking about dumping Word and Excel in favor of NeoOffice. File compatibility is the only thing left holding me in the MS world of software (excluding Autocad LT).
  • Reply 6 of 62
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

How is this giong for everyone? I have played around with it quite a bit and am thinking about dumping Word and Excel in favor of NeoOffice. File compatibility is the only thing left holding me in the MS world of software (excluding Autocad LT).

I think it's still too slow. Hopefully a native OpenOffice will improve this by not using Java. Interface elements still flicker too much and the launch time for new documents and the app itself is sluggish.

When you see how quickly Office goes on a Windows machine, all the word editing packages for OS X are disappointing. The only one that comes close is TextEdit. I use Pages instead of NeoOffice these days for text docs but on occasions I use NeoOffice for spreadsheets. Pages is slow too though. Appleworks is pretty speedy, I wish they'd get that kind of speed into Pages.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    I'm worried that a native Mac OpenOffice won't happen for technical reasons.

Check out this Slashdot post by Ed Peterlin, lead developer for NeoOffice:

http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.p...7&cid=18975159

Quote:

Trust me, once any OS X port of OOo starts getting font handling and input methods correct, it'll slow down as well. This is true especially for Asian and other foreign languages. The bottleneck is in Apple's ATSUI and how it mismatches to the underlying OOo code. Has nothing to do with Java at all. Speed in a vaporware demo is one thing; carrying speed into a functional product is something different completely.

And if you think that, while Sun and OpenOffice continue to struggle to port OpenOffice to Mac, Ed and Neooffice will soldier on, this latest development should concern you:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules...rder=1&thold=0

Quote:

Re: Open Letter to Jonathan Schwartz (Score: 1)

by vicjoe on Saturday, May 05 @ 02:07:23 PDT

(User Info | Send a Message)

This is so depressing. The "send free beer" sounds to me like defeat in the face of irrational opposition. I've spent several hours reading threads at OOo and blogs, and there are a lot of people pulling for NeoOffice.

This is a crucial moment for people to step up to the plate ($$); as I understand it, there are a few bumps in the road, one being changes to the latest Apple iteration of Java that are challenging, there is no more OOo development of the X11 version, hence the newest code is no longer available to the NeoOffice team, and the announcement of Sun providing 2 full-time programmers to the OOo Aqua port will cause some expectant (naive?) users to withhold donations to NeoOffice (the OOo Aqua version will be Carbon, not Cocoa, btw). Fact is, Sun has made promises concerning the Mac platform before and has failed to deliver; also there is some kind of weird hubris among the OOo people, who seem to have marginalized NeoOffice, e.g. where the only link you can find in OOo pages to NeoOffice is from their Wiki......

So there you have it. The future looks bleak for Mac office software users, unless KOffice 2.0 is successfully natively ported to OS X or the next version of iWork contains a spreadsheet program.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think it's still too slow. Hopefully a native OpenOffice will improve this by not using Java. Interface elements still flicker too much and the launch time for new documents and the app itself is sluggish.

When you see how quickly Office goes on a Windows machine, all the word editing packages for OS X are disappointing. The only one that comes close is TextEdit. I use Pages instead of NeoOffice these days for text docs but on occasions I use NeoOffice for spreadsheets. Pages is slow too though. Appleworks is pretty speedy, I wish they'd get that kind of speed into Pages.

• Reply 8 of 62
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    Or you could wait until Office 2008 is released this year. I just hope it doesn't "feature" the terrible interface of Office 2007 on Windoze.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ive View Post

It feels a lot snappier on my machine... (intel1.83ghz)

I don't know what is your reference point, but on older machines it is incredibly heavy for a word processor program. Actually it is the heaviest application after Photoshop and demanding games that I have ever used.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

Or you could wait until Office 2008 is released this year. I just hope it doesn't "feature" the terrible interface of Office 2007 on Windoze.

oh it is, dont worry about it. have a look

http://images.google.co.uk/images?sv...=Search+Images
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

oh it is, dont worry about it. have a look

http://images.google.co.uk/images?sv...=Search+Images

Oh, f*ckin' Gross! lol
  • Reply 12 of 62
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    Honestly, that's nowhere near the suck that is the Office 2007 interface. Unlike Office 2007, at least we'll still be able to use regular menus instead of the ribbon if we so choose. And those are just samples of the interface. We'll see. Don't throw it out just yet.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

Honestly, that's nowhere near the suck that is the Office 2007 interface. Unlike Office 2007, at least we'll still be able to use regular menus instead of the ribbon if we so choose. And those are just samples of the interface. We'll see. Don't throw it out just yet.

true, we'll have to wait and see. i just want it a universal version of office.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I've been using NeoOffice for a few weeks. It's okay, but I don't think it's a good substitute for MS Office. I really hate saying that. I would like nothing better than to ditch MS. I have even tried Google's word processor - so so. Google has a spread sheet also, but I haven't tried it.

One thing that commends NeoOffice is it's ability to translate files other than MS. When I switched to Mac over 5 years ago, I had a lot of WordPerfect files. I copied them to my Mac, but I couldn't open them with MS. However, NeoOffice can translate them and I was able to retrieve what I thought were lost files.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    The only thing I don't like about NeoOffice is its startup speed.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

The only thing I don't like about NeoOffice is its startup speed.

I see, lightning speed. \

This is promising software but it still needs a lot of work.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I'm worried that a native Mac OpenOffice won't happen for technical reasons.

Check out this Slashdot post by Ed Peterlin, lead developer for NeoOffice:

Hmm, well, he should be very happy soon. (Sorry, I can't recall if that's been talked about publicly by Apple or not, so I'm going to be light on details.)
  • Reply 18 of 62
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I see, lightning speed. \

This is promising software but it still needs a lot of work.

I'd rather it was killed altogether, and the servers hosting it be burned down with Fire and Garlic (for good measure) and the remains be stuffed into an airtight container that's dropped to the bottom of the ocean, right next to Spotlight. I recently downloaded the Nisus Writer Pro Public Beta 1 and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. I'm really hoping this isn't priced anymore than $60-$100 when it's released.

Sebastian
  • Reply 19 of 62
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I used Neo Office (Word and Excel equivalents) for a whole week at my work. No exceptions. It was great adn speed was not an issue at all like some have suggested on my mini CD.

It lacks refinement but is an excellent Word Processor and Spreadsheet in place of MS Office if you want to run legal and not spend the cash.

I eagerly await future versions. KOffice would be great to have on the Mac natively.

I will say that NO Spreadsheet was a better substitute for Excel than NO Docuemnt was for Word while both were absolutely great.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Here's an excellent article on why OpenOffice on Mac has a long way to go:

http://cafe.elharo.com/ui/why-vrml-f...or-openoffice/