New AT&T specific features rumored for future iPhone update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Well Fido's been sending me text messages when I'm 75% and 100% through my minutes SINCE 2003. It doesn't need a fancy badge. It's just a f*king text message!

Do you want to increase customer satisfaction, ATT? Bring back rollover minutes.

And "seth the blogger guy"... biggest piece of bull s*t I've ever seen. Can your CEO speak english? How about filming HIM apologizing.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    I read elsewhere that the seconds we spend listening to the voicemail instructions cost us money. I'm for one happy to see these options provided!
  • Reply 23 of 64
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djnchi View Post

Is this a joke..

Has to be a joke. The only thing telling me it is a joke is that Seth the Blogger Dude from "Welcome back Kotter" has not addressed this yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Wow, those are some earth-shattering features there. How about something useful like being able to block a phone number?

I am so with you there. Just the ability to block a number. Kinda like Google Voice lets me do but Apple canned that because it made the experience on the iPhone better than what Apple could give.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

I'm slipping into a coma...

I think AT&T pushed me next to you with this announcement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

*Yawn*

Ditto that...with many laughs.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Did I oversleep again? Is it April 1st?

Were these things even 5th and 6th on anyone's list of "Need to Have?" were these things even ON anyone's list?

"Responding to customer complaints." This is like owning a car that will only run is certain parts of town and the company says: "Hey, here's a new lug wrench and jack."

I'd like my phone to ring when I'm in a major service area. (We can start with places like where I live: Downtown, and then work out to the fringe areas like 20' from downtown later. Baby steps.

And getting my VM the within the hour it was left, not six days after. That would be nice.

I've been Apple loyal since the IIGS days . I like my iPhone, I have some complaints about it for sure, and some of those I think are pretty much basic no-brainers for the designers, but nothing can be all things to all people. That's just the nature of consumer technology. But as soon as my two year commitment is up and Android has come more into it's own I am gone from both the iPhone and AT&T.

The iPhone is just another example of the customer abuse/our way or no way model that Apple has increasingly adopted over the past ten years. And there isn't even a description for how much they suck. I have such a deep seated hatred of them I've had to rejoin my anger management group.

Thank God I didn't throw out my tin cans and string.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I have to agree with the general tone of this thread, not much to get excited about.

Yes, the only thing interesting about this 'news' is that AT&T seems to think it's at all meaningful.

Can't wait to hear what Seth has to say about it, though!

(BTW, has anyone found any good Seth parodies on YouTube yet?)
  • Reply 26 of 64
    I'm sorry dear AT&T and Apple executives, but this would have to be the weakest and most unenthusiastic announcement possible. Wish I could post audio, so you could hear how loudly I yawned while reading.

How about giving us tethering as was promised in June?

My list of things they need to update/add:

-- Would be nice if I am listening to music on the iPod feature and get a voice mail, if after listening to the voice mail the music I was listening to automatically resumed without me having to go back to the iPod player and restart the song.

-- "Recent calls" list, let me select which to delete, right now I can only delete all.

-- ALLOW RUNNING BACKGROUND APPS!!!!! It is annoying that I/we cannot run two apps at the same time. I cannot listen to music while playing most games - even if I turn the sounds off in that game, cannot listen to Pandora or Last.fm while searching the web, using Facebook, or check/write email at the same time... can't chat on Yahoo and close it to take a photo or check email without being logged off, Yahoo (or any messenger service) can't keep running when closed... this is incredibly ridiculous!! If the battery drains faster so be it, it is my decision to run background apps, so I/we know the battery will drain faster. I/we can take that responsibility, stop tying our hands and treating us like children. Basically the iPhone is a one-third party app at a time device, inexcusable!!!

These should already be allowed and part of the system. I know Apple likes to control everything and thinks they know best, and I like Apple a lot, but sometimes they go too far and act like the Chinese government. Stop treating us like your children and daddy knows best attitude.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Features?

Or additional ATT lock in?
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlzoom View Post

If you call any AT&T customer now, you can enter # and it will skip their outgoing message. So what is the big deal with the "NEW" feature?

Wow. Has everyone overlooked the fact that when people call an iPhone, that they already do not get the standard, press 1 to leave a message kind of crap? Turning that off has never been necessary for iPhone users. Other ATT phones do have that issue but not iPhone users.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    It is a little too late AT&T. The coverage issues alone have driven me over the edge. I work in Palo Alto (next to Gunn High School) and there is NO AT&T coverage. My buddies have Verizon and they have signal.

So next summer, when my AT&T contract expires, I will be looking to move to Verizon where they will have the new 4G iPhone waiting for me.

AT&T better be AFRAID!! VERY AFRAID... Verizon is licking their chops cause they know when they launch the 4G iPhone they will have a huge uptick in new subscriptions.

BYE BYE BYE AT&T!
  • Reply 30 of 64
    I know I’m in the minority camo here but the union between Apple and AT&T -can- lead to a lot of new innovations that would otherwise not happen or happen much more slowly without said union. Unfortunately, the number of potential useful innovations have not been coming as I would have hoped.

AT&T’s end….

Let me start by saying that MMS and SMS is such a scam. SMS uses the carrier’s alway-on “control channel” while MMS uses the carrier’s data network which we already pay an unlimited fee for. I’d like this rolled into phones that are already paying for unlimited data.

I’d like to see automatic tier bumping along with the notification, so that I’m charged 20¢ a minute past my 450 minutes but that I’m moved to the next tier when that becomes the most cost effective plan for the customer. While this does mean AT&T gets less money from these people exceeding their plans it does allow peace of mind which goes a long way toward customer satisfaction. They can even make the tier stay the following month unless you call to change it.

Apple’s end…

This may not come until v4.0 but I’d like to see a proper notification system. The overlay was great when it first came out, but we didn’t have Push Notifications at that time. it’s woefully out of date. They need to take cues from Android and WebOS, which allow you to see you revisit your notifications. I think using the right swipe to get to the search page wouldn’t be a place to put them if Apple isn’t keen on using the menu bar for this action.

Apple and AT&T together...

I don’t use MMS because it’s a scam, IMO, but I know others that do. I think that they need to make sending an MMS to another iPhone on AT&T’s network a much more profound experience. Move it from a 300k image to allow for sending for songs. video, vCards, documents and other kind typical data file so long as it’s under 10MB. If they allowed this it would at least give AT&T an out as to why it too so long to get an option to do what you can do with a simple hack right now. The main reason MMS is currently so limited is because of low powered phones with crappy OSes using a crappy WAP browser. The iPhone doesn’t have this limitation. I thought this is what they were going to do, hence not allowing the original iPhone to get MMS, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

PS: Tethering should not be included at the same price of the unlimited phone data. It’s a completely different service that uses significantly more data. To have this included means that all iPhone data plans are doubling their default price regardless if you tether or not.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    . . . . .
  • Reply 32 of 64
    How about making a phone that gets decent reception ATT???
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alolkoy View Post

How about making a phone that gets decent reception ATT???

AT&T doesn?t make cell phones.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    The one thing AT&T could do to get me happy again is to finally enable MMS. I am amazed, honestly, that it has taken them this long, given that they knew MMS was coming long before 3.0 was released. In the mean time, is it too much to ask that the 'ViewMyMessage" service be maintained in working order? It is already frustrating enough to have to go to their message viewing service and enter the crazy password and ID they auto-generate in order to retrieve an MMS... but having done that, to get a message saying "an error occurred during message read", that is just remarkable.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    But At&t is messing it all up.. I get like 30 drop calls a week and this past week it dropped a call while talking to my boss and guess what he (my boss) told me to get a real phone.. I guess its all boiling down to this iphone is a toy not for work.. And that sucks for me because every time now someone calls me i got to apologize if my phone drops there calls.. And by the way i live NYC and one would think that it works well here I guess not..
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reztek View Post

But At&t is messing it all up.. I get like 30 drop calls a week .. I guess its all boiling down to this iphone is a toy not for work.. And that sucks for me because every time now someone calls me i got to apologize if my phone drops there calls..

I'm on Vodafone in Australia, and getting frequent dropped calls in good coverage areas. It also seems to just hang - the apps & internet work fine (via wifi) but no incoming or outgoing calls until I restart (or switch off 3G).

I presume the 3.0/3.01 OS has some issues. !!!!
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

PS: Tethering should not be included at the same price of the unlimited phone data. It?s a completely different service that uses significantly more data. To have this included means that all iPhone data plans are doubling their default price regardless if you tether or not.

I could only imagine what tethering would do to their network, if MMS is such an issue. Just forget it all together until I can get a call to stay connected while in a building. I have a feeling, not tested yet, but even if I was in a glass house my iPhone would still not have reception.

If AT&T allowed wifi calls like T-Mobile, that would be super duper. It would stop a lot of the reception problems, because the dropped calls/no service at all are mostly when indoors. AT&T's spectrum choice falls short when near big buildings and/or inside of them.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    They're going to translate the voice mail to text! This is what Google Voice does.... Think about it. Visual Voicemail is only "visual" insofar as the name of the person calling. The voice mail itself is not visible - until they convert it to text... which would be awesome. Why else would it be at&t only? That means it's not MMS. Possibly also, call screening. Since the voice mail is being down loaded to the handset, why can't we listen to it and answer the call if we want? These features would be why GV was turned down. It would also explain Apple's "duplicates features".
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reztek View Post

But At&t is messing it all up.. I get like 30 drop calls a week and this past week it dropped a call while talking to my boss and guess what he (my boss) told me to get a real phone.. I guess its all boiling down to this iphone is a toy not for work.. And that sucks for me because every time now someone calls me i got to apologize if my phone drops there calls.. And by the way i live NYC and one would think that it works well here I guess not..

Have your boss pitch in on your cell phone bill or give you a different phone before he starts blabbing about how you use your money.

Aside from that, agreed, too many drops. I never got on the "just turn off 3G" side of the fence. It's ridiculous that when the phone goes from 2g to 3g or vice-versa the calls get dropped. Hated that since inception.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcgin View Post

How about some notification of missed calls...like flashing light

That would come from Apple I would guess, not AT&T. It's weird that the software doesn't have that as a choice; for example beep or vibrate every two minutes on a missed call. Maybe I just cannot find the appropriate function in settings?