Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Woah, I want to visit Prague now
  • Reply 22 of 80
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nim81 View Post

They're certainly decent for a phone but it's pushing it to say they look anything like the snaps from an SLR. They still have that washed-out look you always get from phone cameras.

For me, my friends range from very good photographers, to very amateur. While these photos cannot compare to any good photographer with an SLR, they certainly match many of the amateur photographers who use almost exclusively the automatic settings and don't have a professional flash or terrific eye. It is far above the quality of nearly all the point-and-shoots under $250. There is no doubt this is a very good replacement for most people's base camera, very good for a cell phone, and absolutely decent for any on-the-go shooting. On the other hand, I have no idea how good the video is, as that YouTube video was very compressed. No zoom during video (I don't know if it does) would be disappointing too.
  • Reply 23 of 80
    I would also like to see more low light photos (with flash) to see how the images look. After all that is what Steve was pushing when he talked about the camera, low light snap shots.

Any camera phone with a decent 3mp lens can take decent photos outside and in the sunlight.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    cavallocavallo Posts: 57member
    Definitely better than most point-and-shoots, but the clouds are blasted. Not gonna replace an SLR any time soon. Still, hugely better than most phone cams.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Here's a pic taken from my 3GS in similar conditions, is the difference really as much as they are making out?

image: http://blogpress.w18.net/photos/09/08/03/460.jpg

(original pic

image: ]http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/prague-100618-3.jpg

Not referring to the quality of the camera, I quite like the pic you took. Where in England is that? Near the coast, I assume.

I assume these the original pics without them being resized or reduced in size for the web? Would that make a difference with the amount of detail?
  • Reply 26 of 80
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Good for a mobile phone / smartphone.

But when you compare it to even a consumer compact it will be lacking, no optical zoom for a start. How it is for macros? How is it in shadow and poor lighting conditions? How does it handle different lighting (inside, outside, sodium, etc)?
  • Reply 27 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Good for a mobile phone / smartphone.

But when you compare it to even a consumer compact it will be lacking, no optical zoom for a start. How it is for macros? How is it in shadow and poor lighting conditions? How does it handle different lighting (inside, outside, sodium, etc)?

I think some of you are expecting a little too much from a camera phone...
  • Reply 28 of 80
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePimento View Post

The reason the photos are washed out (the sky mainly) is probably because these were taken mid-day or early afternoon, which all photographers know is not a good time to take pictures. I'd like to see some taken in the evening/morning to see what it's truly capable of.

I'd like to see some interior shots too, and possibly some night time pics, but that would probably be brutal on any phone.

BTW, these are some pics I took with my Pre Plus, and they look a lot better then these to be honest:

State Capitol rotunda (Sacramento) - it even captured the sky through the top:

Exterior:

Being that these guys are in Prague, I'd rather see pics of historical buildings, etc.

Also, I'm curious what the compression artifacts look like, everything looks great scaled down, but most phones have such small sensors, the pics look pretty bad at full-res. (ie. good for e-mailing and basic web use).
  • Reply 29 of 80
    nim81nim81 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not referring to the quality of the camera, I quite like the pic you took. Where in England is that? Near the coast, I assume.

I assume these the original pics without them being resized or reduced in size for the web? Would that make a difference with the amount of detail?

The Scotland-England border on the A1 on the East Coast.

It has been resized for the web yeah, I guess looking at them in the original size would show some difference in quality with 5mp shot from iPhone 4 compared to the 3mp on 3GS?
  • Reply 30 of 80
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I wouldn't say the pics look "amazing" but they do look REALLY good. One of the main reasons I am upgrading from a 3G is the camera. I can't even do video at present. I plan to have my new phone replace my camcorder and camera for most occasions. It seems like it can do that, other than the obvious storage concerns.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm no expert in any area regarding photography, but I do that an image and video has a psychological effect so I don't think can honestly judge the quality of the camera looking at various whole images until we can see side-by-side photos from different cameras shooting the same images and videos.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePimento View Post

The reason the photos are washed out (the sky mainly) is probably because these were taken mid-day or early afternoon, which all photographers know is not a good time to take pictures. I'd like to see some taken in the evening/morning to see what it's truly capable of.

The tree picture looks like sunrise. The shadows are very long and the angle of the sun might explain yellow cast as well.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I'd like to see some interior shots too, and possibly some night time pics, but that would probably be brutal on any phone.

BTW, these are some pics I took with my Pre Plus, and they look a lot better then these to be honest:

State Capitol rotunda (Sacramento) - it even captured the sky through the top:

Exterior:

Being that these guys are in Prague, I'd rather see pics of historical buildings, etc.

Also, I'm curious what the compression artifacts look like, everything looks great scaled down, but most phones have such small sensors, the pics look pretty bad at full-res. (ie. good for e-mailing and basic web use).

I had no idea the pre plus took such good pictures.

No wonder Palm failed man. They simply didn't advertise stuff like this well enough.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Here's a more raw copy.

http://senduit.com/673ff8
  • Reply 35 of 80
    Quote:

Here's a pic taken from my 3GS in similar conditions, is the difference really as much as they are making out?

(original pic

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talkin' about - with my 3GS I can take more colorful pics then this.

Maybe that iPhone 4 is just a pre-production model
  • Reply 36 of 80
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Really, check out the original video file that comes directly from the iPhone rather than the compressed youTube version. It looks remarkably detailed! Bitrate is around 10Mbit/s so it's gonna fill up your storage pretty quick. 64GB would have been great. People are gonna shoot a lot of videos with this.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Yes, they're OK for a camera phone. But "stunning?" "Awesome?" Seriously?!

Look at the clouds ? they're completely blown out. The grass and trees are muddy and have almost no contrast. And this is taken at sunrise! Some of you folks need to get a grip. This is ten year-old 1st generation digital camera quality.

Yes, it's a HUGE step up from my 3G iPhone. But that's not saying much. So I'm not selling my camera gear anytime soon.

David
  • Reply 38 of 80
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    'The tipster said the new glass front and back prevented scratches, though they guessed that the stainless steel perimeter of the device could become scuffed up over time. The report also noted that the device received a GPS signal in a "surprisingly quick" fashion, obtaining a lock "almost immediately." '

One thing is certain after looking at the statement...................................IT's NOT ATT HE'S TALKING ABOUT. I've never heard the words ATT and QUICK CONNECTIVITY in the same sentence.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

For me, my friends range from very good photographers, to very amateur. While these photos cannot compare to any good photographer with an SLR, they certainly match many of the amateur photographers who use almost exclusively the automatic settings and don't have a professional flash or terrific eye. It is far above the quality of nearly all the point-and-shoots under $250. There is no doubt this is a very good replacement for most people's base camera, very good for a cell phone, and absolutely decent for any on-the-go shooting. On the other hand, I have no idea how good the video is, as that YouTube video was very compressed. No zoom during video (I don't know if it does) would be disappointing too.

I'm sorry but even the most basic dSLR on Auto would not blow out the clouds like that. A $200 point and shoot probably wouldn't, either, unless the subject were very dark.

Yes, it's great for a phone, but a phone's tiny lens and tiny sensor simply can't compare to a dedicated camera. Reality check.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post

Yes, they're OK for a camera phone. But "stunning?" "Awesome?" Seriously?!

Look at the clouds ? they're completely blown out. The grass and trees are muddy and have almost no contrast. And this is taken at sunrise! Some of you folks need to get a grip. This is ten year-old 1st generation digital camera quality.

Yes, it's a HUGE step up from my 3G iPhone. But that's not saying much. So I'm not selling my camera gear anytime soon.

David

Take what the fanboys say, divide it by what you say and you're close to the actual reality.