Apple's new 27-inch LED Cinema Display to ship in September

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    sergesfsergesf Posts: 35member
    No matte - no buy!
  • Reply 22 of 73
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    In layman's terms, how many hops is this from what you would expect Apple to eventually market as an HDTV?
  • Reply 23 of 73
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SergeSF View Post

No matte - no buy!

Same here. Also because of this that I bought a Mac Mini rather than spending a bit more and buying an iMac... the glossy screen will NOT do for graphics work. I have my mini hooked up to my older matte cinema display.

Also, no Firewire? No buy!
  • Reply 24 of 73
    What a beautiful monitor. Well it certainly has settled the iMac designs for the next couple of years....the iMac will only become thinner and more powerful. Which is fine by me....the iMac and the monitor look very elegant, as usual for Apple.

Wouldn't it be nice if the iMac was the same dimensions as the monitor....that would be impressive having of them both on your desk.

Best
  • Reply 25 of 73
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    27" is a bit too large for me, I find it overwhelming. The current 24" is fine though, and I love the idea of speakers built in to the monitor.

Though on the 24" they are USB speakers not mini-DP speakers, will this be the same on the 27" I wonder? Seems a shame to waste USB bandwidth if the audio could be sent over mini DP.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Looks nice. They have it paired with a Mac Mini. That's quite a pairing. Wouldn't someone buy an iMac instead at a better value?
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Looks nice. They have it paired with a Mac Mini. That's quite a pairing. Wouldn't someone buy an iMac instead at a better value?

I agree...Less cables with the iMac...but there are those that like the component aspect that comes with the Mini...if it breaks or gets upgraded, you can replace the mini...a little more flexibility, I guess!

Best.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Based on their displays page, it looks as though they're axing the $799 24" and replacing it with a $999 27". I hope that's not the case; $799 as the entry-price for a monitor from Apple was ridiculous enough already. They ought to keep the 24" around and lower the price to $599.

Agreed, but the 24" will be gone when supplies run out.

From the link above "Apple is discontinuing both the 24-inch LED Cinema Display as well as the older 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays they had been selling. When asked why, an Apple representative said this new 27-inch version was seen as 'ideal for the uses we see most people having.'"
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

27" is a bit too large for me, I find it overwhelming. The current 24" is fine though, and I love the idea of speakers built in to the monitor.

Though on the 24" they are USB speakers not mini-DP speakers, will this be the same on the 27" I wonder? Seems a shame to waste USB bandwidth if the audio could be sent over mini DP.

From the tech specs page:

"Mini DisplayPort connector with audio support"
  • Reply 30 of 73
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs;

Now all I need is a desk big enough to fit a pair of these beasts on

The isit.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube;

it'll unfortunately probably be another glossy.

I HATE glossy. Apparently I'm not alone in this.

You are not alone by far, but apple has deserted us on this one...
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

the glossy screen will NOT do for graphics work.

I disagree. The matte displays give you washed out colors and lowered contrast. For getting accurate colors and true blacks I love the glossy display. I know that some may prefer the matte display if their work environment isn't optimal. But I'll never buy another matte display.

David
  • Reply 33 of 73
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    What's going to happen to the 24" screen? I can't see it on the Apple website?!

DSM's claryl picture framing glass could be an elegant solution to the reflective glass on the Apple notebooks & desktop computers.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

What's going to happen to the 24" screen? I can't see it on the Apple website?!

# 29.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

From the tech specs page:

"Mini DisplayPort connector with audio support"

Nice. So presumably the 24" will be updated soon to also do audio over mini-DP instead of (or in addition to) USB.

Edit: huh? They are killing the 24?
  • Reply 36 of 73
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post

I disagree. The matte displays give you washed out colors and lowered contrast. For getting accurate colors and true blacks I love the glossy display. I know that some may prefer the matte display if their work environment isn't optimal. But I'll never buy another matte display.

David

Sorry, but the glassy displays AREN'T suitable for professional graphic design work.

In this regard, I've yet to hear anybody attempt to counter this argument - Photoshop Layer Masks...
  • Reply 37 of 73
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

it'll unfortunately probably be another glossy.

I HATE glossy. Apparently I'm not alone in this.

You are not alone. But Apple is not listening.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

You are not alone. But Apple is not listening.

oh I know, I work in the design industry, and the -only- apple displays I ever see are the older cinema matte displays. Why apple insists on foisting these over saturated messes on us is beyond me. I can only think that they are not interested in selling any to the pro crowd.

Personally, I'd love to buy an apple display, they're nicely designed, sure, I'd pay a little extra for that. But right now there are a number of good alternatives with fantastic specs with matte displays, I have one of the (gah) dell's the newer 3008 it has displayport in and matte screen, the enclosure is gun metal aluminum it's much improved.

I still would prefer it in an apple enclosure. I would have bypassed the dell in a heartbeat. In fact I'd dump the dell if I saw an led matte come from apple. But I just won't do glossy. EVER. And I know all of my peers feel the same way.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That?s my question, too. Hell, DispalyPort can do USB data at speeds 50% faster than USB2.0 so I?d like to see a signal mDP and MagSafe connector coming off the 27? ACD to connect to your Mac.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Sorry, but the glassy displays AREN'T suitable for professional graphic design work.

In this regard, I've yet to hear anybody attempt to counter this argument - Photoshop Layer Masks...

Some might say that no Apple monitor has ever been suitable for professional graphics work, glossy or otherwise. In the medical industry (x-ray) we generally use Eizo, but they are a little pricey.

The ColorEdge CG303W is $4,400 thereabouts.