Apple may have planned to build second NC data center from day one

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

You are offended by a link to Christian music? Seriously? It is not like he is pushing a religion or dumping on one. I think we can all be fine and dandy without him having to edit a non-offensive link. In fact, I think your total intollerance of anything remotely religious is more offensive.

+1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

All you have to do to see it's offensive

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

You have no fundamental right to not be offended

Grow up, get over yourself and stop feeling entitled to call out every little minor thing that offends you. You'll be far more successful (and happy!) in life over the long term. And if you insist on carrying on with your antisocial behavior, don't be surprised when you are (rightfully) called on it.

I have a feeling if he had a signature extolling the virtues of the FSM we wouldn't be having this "discussion"

I realize data centers are an inherently dry topic, but this is beyond ridiculous...
  • Reply 42 of 61
    Garnered by sleuthing through public online building and inspection records at the Catawba County website...

According to the Catawba County Building Services department, which oversees Maiden District/Jurisdiction, no new building permits have been issued since December 21, 2009 at 5977 Startown Rd. Maiden.

For parcel number 362712866878, four building permits were issued in 2009. Three of them have reached Final Status (completed); the listed Applicant is "Project Dolphin".

The remaining December 21, 2009 permit remains Active. Designated BLDC-10-09-2024, this permit is for a 500,000 sq.ft. building with a listed project name, "Project Dolphin". Apple Inc is listed as "Applicant" and "Owner".

Under a project named, "Project Dophin 2", two permits were issued July 29, 2010 (edit: please see Reason of Editing) at 6081 Startown Rd, Maiden. The applicant is "Project Dolphin" and the owner is Apple, Inc. The permits concern a 800 Amp electrical and plumbing hook-up to a temporary office trailer. The listed parcel number is 362711760090, and it differs from the one listed for the 500,000 sq.ft. building.

Please forgive me for not posting direct links to the raw data. I figure as courtesy to the (modest?) Catawaba servers and to the inspectors and tradespeople who rely on them for their livelihood, I'll refrain from including an easy click-through to the gateway website. I think those readers truly piqued to learn more, won't mind a quick Google search to find it. ps - I feel a little uncomfortable with the local voyeurism I just did... If you do peruse the site, please consider treading lightly and be mindful to ignore content outside of a narrow Apple interest.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    Given the rapidly shrinking rate of memory and storage devices, by the time the second building is built it'll hold three times the storage as the first building.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Has anyone just called Apple to ask them or find out what the building permits cover?
  • Reply 45 of 61
    I think this might just be for iTunes streaming (Apple TV) & the App Store.

To increase the speed and reliability of content delivered to each individual user you need to reduce the number of routes between the user and the data. The best way to do that is pepper the country with lots of smaller data centres, not build a giant shared data centre.

I think that rules out any kind of extension of Mobile Me, DropBox alternatives etc.

Some really rough numbers...
    • 500,000 square feet

• 70% dedicated to servers

• Of that 70% half is rack space, half is corridors

• That gives us 175 000 square feet of racks

• Each rack is around 2 feet by 4 feet, that gives us 21875 racks.

• Assume 48RU racks filled with half 7TB 2RU SANS, half 2RU servers

• Each rack would then give the ability to serve around 84TB of data to maybe 600 concurrent AppleTV streaming users

• So with 21875 racks that's...

• 1800 petabytes of data served up to 13 million concurrent AppleTV users.

• Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

You have no fundamental right to not be offended

Grow up, get over yourself and stop feeling entitled to call out every little minor thing that offends you. You'll be far more successful (and happy!) in life over the long term. And if you insist on carrying on with your antisocial behavior, don't be surprised when you are (rightfully) called on it.

I have a feeling if he had a signature extolling the virtues of the FSM we wouldn't be having this "discussion"

I realize data centers are an inherently dry topic, but this is beyond ridiculous...

So, your going out of your way to personally insult me, yet it is I that should "grow up?" And your quoting the American constitution at me (with religious references intact even after I said that it offended me)? did it ever occur to you that I might be from a different country? (roughly half the people on this or most any Internet tech forum aren't American BTW). I mean either you are being rude by not knowing that, or you're being doubly rude and insulting to know it, and then quote it anyway.

All I did is agree with someone that was offended by the religious reference, and add to the topic that it's actually a violation of the forum rules, as well as a violation of long established "netiquette."

Clearly you are the one that's being insulting, purposely offensive, and anti-social here, not I.

PS - Your not even using "anti-social" correctly as a term. How can it possibly be anti-social to engage in a community debate about the right-ness or wrong-ness of actions relative to the group? It's practically the definition of "social," not "anti-social."
  • Reply 47 of 61
    joncojonco Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

In N.C. it is probably for fishin'.

new clear fishin?
  • Reply 48 of 61
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

Garnered by sleuthing through public online building and inspection records at the Catawba County website...

According to the Catawba County Building Services department, which oversees Maiden District/Jurisdiction, no new building permits have been issued since December 21, 2009 at 5977 Startown Rd. Maiden.

For parcel number 362712866878, four building permits were issued in 2009. Three of them have reached Final Status (completed); the listed Applicant is "Project Dolphin".

The remaining December 21, 2009 permit remains Active. Designated BLDC-10-09-2024, this permit is for a 500,000 sq.ft. building with a listed project name, "Project Dolphin". Apple Inc is listed as "Applicant" and "Owner".

Under a project named, "Project Dophin 2", two permits were issued July 29, 2009 at 6081 Startown Rd, Maiden. The applicant is "Project Dolphin" and the owner is Apple, Inc. The permits concern a 800 Amp electrical and plumbing hook-up to a temporary office trailer. The listed parcel number is 362711760090, and it differs from the one listed for the 500,000 sq.ft. building.

Please forgive me for not posting direct links to the raw data. I figure as courtesy to the (modest?) Catawaba servers and to the inspectors and tradespeople who rely on them for their livelihood, I'll refrain from including an easy click-through to the gateway website. I think those readers truly piqued to learn more, won't mind a quick Google search to find it. ps - I feel a little uncomfortable with the local voyeurism I just did... If you do peruse the site, please consider treading lightly and be mindful to ignore content outside of a narrow Apple interest.

That's some excellent sleuthing sir, my hat's off to you.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

Has anyone just called Apple to ask them or find out what the building permits cover?

There are 4 building permits at 5977 Startown Rd., Maiden site, which is home to the new data centre. Ancillary to them are the usual permits issued for Mechanical, Electrical, Structural, Environmental, et al. Three of those permits are complete (ie building is ready for occupancy). The status of remaining permit, a permit solely for the 500,000 sq.ft. building, is listed as 'Active'. There are no other building permits listed for the site.

There were two building permits issued on July 29, 2010 for a temporary trailer at an adjacent site, 6081 Startown Rd. It underwent a beefy 800 Amp electrical hook-up. There are no other building permits for a permanent structure listed for the site.

After going through the county's current projects, I found no other listings that referenced Apple or Holder Construction along Startown Rd.

So, it appears there's no public paperwork with the county that covers an additional building. This includes pre-permit issue reviews by the county.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Thanks. It was an interesting little hunt.

FWIW, I posted some backgrounder information I found along the way here (see post #81 onward):

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=114127&page=3
  • Reply 51 of 61
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Thanks for the info, good to know. But the way the ponds, especially the back one, articulate to the buildings makes me wonder. The back one has some kind of structure of its own. Could it be a sliding roof? Could the front one be partially decorative--a reflection pool? A pool for employee workouts?

Many places require a retention/pond area for water to accumulate from roofs and parking lots.

Why not gussy it up a bit?
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

Funny! Made me smile!

Apple's Head of PR has a pretty easy job!

All she ever says is, "Errr, no comment!"

Hey Apple, I'll do her job at half the price! Call me!

Best
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

As well. We are both hatless today.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonco View Post

new clear fishin?

• Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by primedetailer View Post

I'm not familiar with what goes into a data center. The building that Apple is building is huge. Is it possible there could be some other use? Is Google's data center as big or bigger?

Well, with the use of the words "fully operational," it would lead me to believe that Apple has actually built...a Death Star! Within the data center! ah, nevermind...
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

As well. We are both hatless today.

thanks guys for the complement (i'm blushing)

Now, on to hunt for my TV remote. It's been MIA for 3 days. Apparently, last sighted by my 3 year old nephew near a couch, or cupboard, or sandbox.... wish me luck. I need it.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    I hope one of the functions of these server farms is to give all Apple customers a free MobileMe account. It's sad that Apple still charges $100/yr for services I get for free from google, microsoft, yahoo, and just about everyone else.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

thanks guys for the complement (i'm blushing)

Research is my life, so I'm always impressed when someone takes the initiative to actually discover facts, rather than simply speculate.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    I am a construction worker and have been at "Project Dolphin" for almost a year now. I have not been sworn to secrecy, but I have been told not to talk to "the press" about the job. Phase 1 is about a month away from being deemed complete. The building is 250,000 sq/ft. One floor. 4 data halls, many SUB rooms, and huge corridors. They are not talking about it much, which has me searching the net for any info I can get about when and if I will be working on a second building at all. I still dont know when, but I am closer to a yes on the "if" question. The walls of this building are two layers of prefabbed concrete with foam in between, the walls were directly placed into the ground and then the floors were poured with about three foot of concrete. Only one room in the building has raised floors and that is half of one of the data halls. The building is cooled by 10 chillers, and cooling towers, over 100 Stulz cooling units. I am not very tech savvy, I cant answer any questions about whats in the data halls. There are retention ponds, but not where they are shown in the picture on this site. A 5 story office building has been talked about for the land across the street. There is more security on this job than at The White House, with over 500 cameras watching my every move daily. I am bussed into the site since Apple has taken over control of 75% of the building. There has been talk that Google and Apple are working together on something huge, but that is speculation.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by musicmaniact View Post

I am a construction worker and have been at "Project Dolphin" for almost a year now. I have not been sworn to secrecy, but I have been told not to talk to "the press" about the job. Phase 1 is about a month away from being deemed complete. The building is 250,000 sq/ft. One floor. 4 data halls, many SUB rooms, and huge corridors. They are not talking about it much, which has me searching the net for any info I can get about when and if I will be working on a second building at all. I still dont know when, but I am closer to a yes on the "if" question. The walls of this building are two layers of prefabbed concrete with foam in between, the walls were directly placed into the ground and then the floors were poured with about three foot of concrete. Only one room in the building has raised floors and that is half of one of the data halls. The building is cooled by 10 chillers, and cooling towers, over 100 Stulz cooling units. I am not very tech savvy, I cant answer any questions about whats in the data halls. There are retention ponds, but not where they are shown in the picture on this site. A 5 story office building has been talked about for the land across the street. There is more security on this job than at The White House, with over 500 cameras watching my every move daily. I am bussed into the site since Apple has taken over control of 75% of the building. There has been talk that Google and Apple are working together on something huge, but that is speculation.

Interesting. Have you seen any intelligent sea mammals around?