Google rewarms Android Market, still half baked next to iPhone App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The point is though that the information was sill taken, and it's still possible for it to be taken. There is nothing in the Android market that stops an app developer doing this kind of thing and we only have the word of the few people that have been caught doing it that their intent was not nefarious.

Right. For you too:

• Reply 42 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Gameloft's titles are in Android Market? I see the company sells apps from its own web page, but I don't see any legit titles on Android Market.

http://www.gameloft.com/android-games/top/

http://www.doubletwist.com/apps/search/?q=sandstorm

The reason for this, according to the article here and its sources (from the mouth of Google) is that Android Market only supports games up to 25MB, with a new 50MB limit coming. Sandstorm is (on the iOS) is nearly 300MB. How could it possibly be in Android Market?

Please verify!

Gameloft sell Asphalt 5 on Android market which is only 9mb in size but it downloads all assets once the title is launched on the sd card. Once all assets are downloaded it is over 100mb in size and looks just like its iOS counterpart.

As the installer for Sandstorm is only 10mb it could be distributed on Android Market with the following 200mb downloaded to the SD card afterwards.

EA have done the same with FIFA10 and will undoubtedly do the same with Need for Speed: Shift. The implied reduced quality of iOS ports on Android due to download constraints is wrong.
  • Reply 43 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is just a long argument for stealing, and not an original one at that. You are apparently justified in stealing because the apps that you steal are not up to your 'standards of quality,' or because you don't have 'time to waste?' Wow. Just, wow.

Yet somehow you have a legal job of some kind it seems and are actually a grown up?

If you don't think there isn't anything wrong with your behaviour, maybe you'd like to man up and publish your name and address here as well. Maybe tell us who you work for so we can phone up your boss and tell her what an upstanding little thief you are?

What I don't get is why anyone would bother to brag about being a thief to a bunch of strangers on the Internet, yet be enough of a coward to hide it.

Where did he say he stole it? You unaware you don't have to get apps from the Google Market? Just because they don't force people to download from a market (though carriers force this restriction) doesn't mean he pirated them.
  • Reply 44 of 115
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Everything gets better in time. When I go to replace my Blackberry next year I'll evaluate every platform including Android, iOS, and Windows Phone 7.

I'm a bit tired of RIM and disappointed by their new OS and hardware offerings. I expected a Storm III and instead we got a Torch (what a piece of junk) and a Playbook. Neither appeal to me. Maybe they'll catch-up next year but I'll have moved on by then.
  • Reply 45 of 115
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

It only got your numbers, NOT the VM PASSWORD OR hardware details.

Uh oh, Android requires permission to allow apps to get to your information. Damn, what shitty security it has, giving people the power to deny access to personal information.

As the article notes, DVD Jon wrote that Google shouldn't demand that Android users be CS PhDs to understand the implications of installing software and being given a ton of opaque, absurd "do you agree" mumbojumbo that offers all the security of Vista's UACs.

Quote:

Really? MR. DED said Natal would be vaporware just like Courier. So, is Natal/Kinect available for sale, selling 2.5 million of them, or is it still stillborn? Did Win7 flop too? And if the CDMA iphone comes out, what then?

You can argue semantics all you want.

All I ask from Dan is this: "I was wrong." Apparently like Steve Jobs, neither can do no wrong.

No, you want to keep repeating lies as rapidly as you can because you don't think anyone will catch you in them. I posted an answer to your accusations that you replied to, so you know very well that you are outright lying about this ridiculous matter of the Wii-Xbox game controller as if it is some serious matter. It isn't, but your lying about it is getting old.

-

As I noted before, I did a Google search of RoughlyDrafted.com and couldn't find any mention of Kinect. I did see a half dozen references of Project Natal, the code name of Kinect. Nowhere did Daniel "predict" that this would be a "complete and utter flop based on his research." Are you intentionally lying, or does it come natural?

In one article, he describes MS' Xbox division as "a home entertainment business that has rarely made any money despite billions in investment. Its brightest star is an imitative effort to copy the interactive controller that Nintendo debuted for the Wii back in 2006. When you hear vaporware incantations of ?Project Natal,? it means you?ve stumbled into a seance of the faithful trying to reanimate Microsoft?s relevance as the god of imitations."

So rather than calling Kinect a "flop," he called it Microsoft's' "brightest star," albeit an imitative effort to copy the Wii controller.

Also, a year ago, he said of pundits: "It also gets tedious to try to string along a pretense of excitement about such duds as Surface and the vaporware dreams of a year or two out: Project Natal, Windows 7 SP1, and Windows ?we?re getting serious now? Mobile 7, while still maintaining a straight face."

Calling Natal "vaporware of a year or two out" was certainly accurate to do a year ago.

Shortly before that, he wrote "Microsoft is also well known for advertising bullshit it can?t deliver. Bill Gates talked up OS/2, floated a vision of Cairo that never materialized, falsely proclaimed himself the Moses of tablet computing, and blew so much vaporware at competitors (Bob, ActiveMovie, DirectMovie, Surround Video, Chromeffects, WinFS, SPOT, Mira, PlaysForSure, Advanced Streaming Format, Soapbox, Longhorn, Surface, Natal, Courier) that it wouldn?t exactly be a surprise if the company decided that the best way to compete with bad news was to generate some distracting good news that just never seemed to materialize after people?s attention spans moved on."

Project Natal was certainly "vaporware aimed at competitors," even it if eventually materialized in what must be a nearly profitless product more than a year later. The company has managed to sell it to a tiny fraction of the Xbox 360 installed base (2 million of about 45 million Xbox 360s).

But since Daniel never referred to Kinect as being a "complete and utter flop," you should certainly stop repeating the lie that he once did.
  • Reply 46 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Building an iTunes-like desktop sync application for Android and policing its software catalog would require Google to make significant investments in the platform. However, Google employees have noted that the company sees web apps as the future, rather than a native app platform like that built by Apple, or the new mobile platforms being released, including Microsoft's Windows Phone 7, RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook, and HP's webOS, acquired from Palm.

Why would they need to actually build an iTunes-like desktop sync app? It already syncs wirelessly!

Admittedly I've never used an android device, but assuming the wireless sync is like what WP7 has then copying Apple would just be a step backwards. After all why should you actually need a computer to make your phone work? It doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 47 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

As the article notes, DVD Jon wrote that Google shouldn't demand that Android users be CS PhDs to understand the implications of installing software and being given a ton of opaque, absurd "do you agree" mumbojumbo that offers all the security of Vista's UACs.

If you can't understand what "This app will access X", then get a dumbphone.

Quote:

No, you want to keep repeating lies as rapidly as you can because you don't think anyone will catch you in them. I posted an answer to your accusations that you replied to, so you know very well that you are outright lying about this ridiculous matter of the Wii-Xbox game controller as if it is some serious matter. It isn't, but your lying about it is getting old.

-

As I noted before, I did a Google search of RoughlyDrafted.com and couldn't find any mention of Kinect. I did see a half dozen references of Project Natal, the code name of Kinect. Nowhere did Daniel "predict" that this would be a "complete and utter flop based on his research." Are you intentionally lying, or does it come natural?

Really? Did it ever occur to you that him posting about KInect admits he was wrong about Natal being vaporware? Too stupid to realize that?

Quote:

In one article, he describes MS' Xbox division as "a home entertainment business that has rarely made any money despite billions in investment. Its brightest star is an imitative effort to copy the interactive controller that Nintendo debuted for the Wii back in 2006. When you hear vaporware incantations of “Project Natal,” it means you’ve stumbled into a seance of the faithful trying to reanimate Microsoft’s relevance as the god of imitations."

So rather than calling Kinect a "flop," he called it Microsoft's' "brightest star," albeit an imitative effort to copy the Wii controller.

Also, a year ago, he said of pundits: "It also gets tedious to try to string along a pretense of excitement about such duds as Surface and the vaporware dreams of a year or two out: Project Natal, Windows 7 SP1, and Windows “we’re getting serious now” Mobile 7, while still maintaining a straight face."

Calling Natal "vaporware of a year or two out" was certainly accurate to do a year ago.

Shortly before that, he wrote "Microsoft is also well known for advertising bullshit it can’t deliver. Bill Gates talked up OS/2, floated a vision of Cairo that never materialized, falsely proclaimed himself the Moses of tablet computing, and blew so much vaporware at competitors (Bob, ActiveMovie, DirectMovie, Surround Video, Chromeffects, WinFS, SPOT, Mira, PlaysForSure, Advanced Streaming Format, Soapbox, Longhorn, Surface, Natal, Courier) that it wouldn’t exactly be a surprise if the company decided that the best way to compete with bad news was to generate some distracting good news that just never seemed to materialize after people’s attention spans moved on."

Project Natal was certainly "vaporware aimed at competitors," even it if eventually materialized in what must be a nearly profitless product more than a year later. The company has managed to sell it to a tiny fraction of the Xbox 360 installed base (2 million of about 45 million Xbox 360s).

But since Daniel never referred to Kinect as being a "complete and utter flop," you should certainly stop repeating the lie that he once did.

Really? You expect 2 months of Kinect sales to equal the years the console was out? What else? What part of a product being released making it not vaporware do you not fucking understand?

Anything else you post is just ad nauseam, so really, just drop it. DED needs to address this, not you.
  • Reply 48 of 115
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Why would they need to actually build an iTunes-like desktop sync app? It already syncs wirelessly!

Admittedly I've never used an android device, but assuming the wireless sync is like what WP7 has then copying Apple would just be a step backwards. After all why should you actually need a computer to make your phone work? It doesn't make sense.

Wireless syncing would be a nice feature to have with iOS, but if I had to pick between only syncing to a computer or only syncing wirelessly, I'd go with the computer hands down.
  • Reply 49 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

Wireless syncing would be a nice feature to have with iOS, but if I had to pick between only syncing to a computer or only syncing wirelessly, I'd go with the computer hands down.

Why do you prefer the computer? I almost never use iTunes (which I absolutely detest) to install apps on my iPad or iPod Touch.

Also from the AppBrain site, you can install apps directly from the web onto your phone without even having the phone next to you. Very cool.
  • Reply 50 of 115
    Quote:

It only got your numbers, NOT the VM PASSWORD OR hardware details.

Uh oh, Android requires permission to allow apps to get to your information. Damn, what shitty security it has, giving people the power to deny access to personal information.

Dude bad example. Of course handcent SMS needs permission to access one's SMS/MMS msgs because its a SMS app or else it wouldn't work.
  • Reply 51 of 115
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Why do you prefer the computer? I almost never use iTunes (which I absolutely detest) to install apps on my iPad or iPod Touch.

Also from the AppBrain site, you can install apps directly from the web onto your phone without even having the phone next to you. Very cool.

Installing apps is only one of the things you need to do. I also load up a boatload of video, music, documents and such. I spend a large part of my life in front of a computer. I'd be plugging in my phone to charge it anyway... might as well sync at the same time.

Like I said, I'd love to have better cloud syncing on iDevices, but I'd still want the computer for easier management.
  • Reply 52 of 115
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

See for yourself how they run. I've personally had no issues with them but others may have.

Like junk, like Android.

Nice trailer.

iPhone!
  • Reply 53 of 115
    all the insufferable self-righteous techtard trolls are out in force... (oops, I meant thieves)
  • Reply 54 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Like junk, like Android.

Nice trailer.

iPhone!

Those are two different games.

I can only assume that you mistakenly linked to the incorrect Android video, so I took the liberty of finding the correct one for you.

You're welcome!
  • Reply 55 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lopata View Post

pretty neat update i'd say

way more beautiful than iOS app store

its just getting better and better don't worry.

what we are waiting though is for an desktop application =)

come one google.. make it faster

they should leave it the way it is now. anyway, what's up with all these green-ish color on every android phones? this shitty app store is not even close to apple app store.
  • Reply 56 of 115
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Oh no! Android sold well because they [Google and friends] stole pinch to zoom!

Did they really? I never noticed, because I couldn't get past the crappy hardware and OS.
  • Reply 57 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lopata View Post

thats write i guess..

we will probably see an Chrome Android App in Chrome Web Store instead of a Win/Mac app..

makes more sense..

You sir do not have a clue!

Where do you think Google Chrome got their initial web apps?

Hint the Apple Web site for iOS web apps.

Chrome apps are always web apps and will always be decidedly inferior to iOS apps from the Apple App Store and Apps in the Apple Mac Store. Your connection will slow do to the kiddies hitting the net when they get out of school for the day and your Chrome device suddenly becomes sluggish too.

But when I look over the actual down loadable Android apps I could cry. So much crap! Very little of it compares to Apple's iOS apps, especially for my favorite iPad and iPhone games. I rather pay a buck or two and get something decent then steal this garbage which is a waste of time.

I had high hopes that Google fixed it but it seems to me they made it worse with the promise of giving my money back for crap is now limited to fifteen minutes.

No more money spent here, it is not worth it.

And I am willing to spend money NOT TO HAVE ADS!

Nothing ruins the portable experience more than ads!

I delete apps that have ads faster than crap going through a duck.

IMHO that stinks just like duck droppings on the farm too.

With Android it seems you are always stepping in it! What was Google thinking?
  • Reply 58 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Wow...

Erm.. That is wrong:

There are plenty of "large games for iOS" avaiable on Android, even Gameloft's Modern Combat: Sandstorm you mentioned earlier.

Are u the reincarnated daharder ?
  • Reply 59 of 115
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Tch the google I/O 2010 conference video. They're never going to make a desktop client, it's so backwards to have a phone sync with a computer it is unreal! Unlike apple google have hears of something called the INTERNET. Perfect for transferring and syncing data. If google ever release their web based android market then it would totally blow iTunes away. iTunes is stupid bloatware left over from last generations gadget (the iPod) that apple seem to cram everything they think someone needs for iOS into. Where is the logic of a tablet computer having to sync with desktop music software before you can even turn it on for the first time?

This leads to another point. Apple fanboys always point to android and laugh at the time it takes for an OS update. Let's consider the update process of both platforms: iPhone you have to connect your phone to a computer, if it's a mac this part runs ok, if not the fun begins with apples joke coding efforts for PCs. Then most likely you have to download a new version of iBloat otherwise known as iTunes, just to download the update! Then wait for iBloat to install and reconnect your device. By this time I start to get really pissed off. Then you connect your iPhone again. Then and only then can you download the update when prompted. Then you have to perform a sync and full back up and finally you can transfer the update.

Compare to android: notification appears on phone, click ok to apply update. Done!

Furthermore apple want to take this further by adding more bloat to

iTunes with a mac app store. The model is so backwards it's beyond belief!
  • Reply 60 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Are u the reincarnated daharder ?

ROFL no! Was/is he a member here then? I know who you are on about tho as he is on nearly every Engadget article posting.

He is defiantly dedicated to the Android cause tho with what I've seen from him. I'm only posting for the discussion. I was lead to the article after reading it from Google News and with its inaccuracies I thought I'd join in on the discussion.

No malice intended!

Having a read around, this seems like a decent Mac community.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Like junk, like Android.

Nice trailer.

iPhone!

If you'd taken the time to watch the videos in the link I provided, you'd have seen an equal Android port from Gameloft. It seems that you have been corrected already in your deception but nice try. http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=55