Apple announces iTunes Match music service for $24.99 per year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 172
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    I so don't understand this iTunes Match thing.

So, I ripped a CD and imported the music to iTunes and of course synched it to all my iDevices. So iTunes Match allows me to do what exactly? Re-download it to all my iDevices? I guess if I ripped it at 128 or something, I'd get a higher bit rate. Is that the real benefit?
  • Reply 22 of 172
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,018member
    I get that I can play my music on any device with this service. But I have a little trouble swallowing that I have to pay $24.99 a year to listen to music I've already purchased. Also, I also have a lot of music that is not on the iTunes store (I'm a musician...I've got everything from pop, to drum and bugle corps). I guess that's where the local storage comes in?
  • Reply 23 of 172
    bgpubgpu Posts: 7member
    So presumably, it was unnecessary for me to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading my previous iTunes purchases over the past 2 years. Now, for 25 bucks a year, I can upload any 128 kbps iTunes store purchase, and if it's matched, re-download it at 256 kbps.

If I want to take the MP3s I downloaded off of Lala or Amazon or eMusic and upgrade them to iTunes M4A, will it accept them?
  • Reply 24 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fritz88 View Post

Its a shame they dont have higher quality than 256 kbps. Thats to low quality if you have a serious hifi system...

If you've got a serious hi-fi system you'll not play from the cloud on that. All my music is ripped to AIFF and I stream that through a DAC direct from my iMac. iCloud will be my on-the-go source.
  • Reply 25 of 172
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by owpecke View Post

Thanks for the confirm !

Premature thanks, I think. The system matches to find songs it has (and therefore does not need to upload), and uploads songs for which it has no match.
  • Reply 26 of 172
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,018member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

So, I ripped a CD and imported the music to iTunes and of course synched it to all my iDevices. So iTunes Match allows me to do what exactly? Re-download it to all my iDevices? I guess if I ripped it at 128 or something, I'd get a higher bit rate. Is that the real benefit?

They're trying to get rid of that syncing completely. You'd never have to sync your music again. That said, I don't think it's for me. I have too many songs that are not in the store. In fact, I really don't use my phone for music very often. If I do, it's usually through Pandora.
  • Reply 27 of 172
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Giffen View Post

I hope this is a good matching program but I don't have high hopes, iTunes can't even match album art for most of my cd ripped music, even extremely popular songs and artists, such as most of the AC/DC songs. More than likely it won't be able to match very many at all.

Anything where iTunes was able to automatically fill in the song titles during ripping should be fine.
  • Reply 28 of 172
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where'd you get a 4TB drive? Is it just two 2TB drives in a case?

It doesn't "become legit", but you get to pay $25 a year for the rest of eternity for access to it. So there's the money from piracy the music industry wants.

Or you could buy the album for less than a $25 one-time purchase and have it for free anywhere. Many pirates will go legit and the ones that won't will still be paying.

Ya, but how many people who pirate music only have 1 album?
  • Reply 29 of 172
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    great news, although I would have liked a local time capsule type server too.
  • Reply 30 of 172
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

Premature thanks, I think. The system matches to find songs it has (and therefore does not need to upload), and uploads songs for which it has no match.

Yeah, I was wrong. Still, I like to be wrong when the better solution it right...
  • Reply 31 of 172
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

Here there is all the info
  • Reply 32 of 172
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Zero value for me I'm afraid.

I use smart playlists, so I always have my favorite music with me and am constantly rediscovering old music too, better than ever.
  • Reply 33 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

isn't this also a way to make all the pirated music people have downloaded, become legit?

say i've downloaded a pirated CD

once i do itunes match, this ripped music becomes legit and i can access it on any device

Who says it was legal to download that CD? You because somebody offers you to stream media files you provided, does not indemnify you from any prior misdemeanours. If you steel a physical good and then send it via a legit courrier to somebody eles, does this make the recipient the legal owner of that good?
  • Reply 34 of 172
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It doesn't "become legit", but you get to pay $25 a year for the rest of eternity for access to it. So there's the money from piracy the music industry wants.

Or you can match it, download it and copy it, it has become "legit"
  • Reply 35 of 172
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

If you "of course" sync to all your devices, back up everything, have infinite storage, and never lose anything, you do not need this. But you knew that.
  • Reply 36 of 172
    wattsupwattsup Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BGPu View Post

So presumably, it was unnecessary for me to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading my previous iTunes purchases over the past 2 years. Now, for 25 bucks a year, I can upload any 128 kbps iTunes store purchase, and if it's matched, re-download it at 256 kbps.

If I want to take the MP3s I downloaded off of Lala or Amazon or eMusic and upgrade them to iTunes M4A, will it accept them?

It kind of looks like there is very little benefit for people who have been legally obtaining their music either from purchased CDs or from the iTunes Store. However, it does allow people who have pirated music to get potentially higher quality copies direct from the iTunes Store for just the $25 annual fee.

One question might be, what happens when you stop paying the fee? I can't see how they could prevent you from continuing to use those files since they don't have any DRM. I guess you just lose the ability to wirelessly sync those files to new devices.
  • Reply 37 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

isn't this also a way to make all the pirated music people have downloaded, become legit?

Yes that's exactly right (even though they won't come right out and say it). Clemency day has arrived. Unless you have music Apple can't match up (like I do), in which case you can only wonder what the hell the RIAA has been complaining about.
  • Reply 38 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wattsup View Post

Actually, other than the new iTunes match service for $25 all this adds for music is wireless sync, not really that much different than attaching your iOS device over USB to iTunes, other than the fact that USB will be much faster.

And off-site backup for your files. How much would it cost you to pay Mozy, Backblaze, Carbonite to backup your media files?
  • Reply 39 of 172
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrich View Post

So, seperate from matching your exisiting music catalog, does this service allow you to stream music ala Napster, or Rhapsody?

No it doesn't. You still have to physically have storage space available on the playback device to store complete copies of all the music that's going to be pushed to it.
  • Reply 40 of 172
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Important notes:

Available in beta now in the U.S. only and requires iOS 4.3.1 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 (GSM model), iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2, or a Mac or PC with iTunes 10.3. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer in the iTunes Store. Download iTunes 10.3 free.

Requires iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2, or a Mac computer with OS X Lion or a PC with Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Outlook 2007 or 2010 recommended). Limit 25,000 songs. iTunes purchases do not count against limit.

Unmatched content will be uploaded; upload time varies depending on amounts uploaded.

Upload time varies depending on amounts uploaded.

Unmatched content will not be upgraded.

Features are subject to change. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.