Apple stock again named the 'top pick' for investors in 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Nice try, and poor examples. I'd never suggest buying stock in a bad company, let alone holding it forever. Nobody should hold any stock forever. In fact the real lesson is that most investors shouldn't even be buying individual stocks, let alone trying to chase the market. These are prescriptions for failure.

Look up Swenson. You will find that it is your comprehension level that needs some work.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Nice try, and poor examples. I'd never suggest buying stock in a bad company, let alone holding it forever. Nobody should hold any stock forever. In fact the real lesson is that most investors shouldn't even be buying individual stocks, let alone trying to chase the market. These are prescriptions for failure.

Look up Swenson. You will find that it is your comprehension level that needs some work.

Nice try yourself.

Bad company? Are you telling me that you would have said RIM is a bad company in 2004? How about Apple in 1995? How about IBM in 1992?

What you are saying is that nobody in the history of buying stocks has done well buying and selling a particular stock rather than just hanging on to it... or maybe you aren't saying that because it's so damn hard to know what you are saying. You seem to be all over the map.

Buy a stock and hold it. Nope, you said you should never hold it forever... so when should you sell it, when the market is up or when it is down? Neither, because that would be trying to predict the market. Sell stock in a bad company. Nope because you said hold and how can you tell when a company is about to have a down turn... that's predicting the market again.

Keep working on your theories.

... and I don't need Swenson... I know that overall if you jump from one stock to another stock you will do poorly but all big investment houses dump a certain percentage of select stocks to lock in gains and then buy later as the stock declines. Even a couple of bucks here and there can be huge gain for them.

Most investors shouldn't even be buying individual stocks??! Oh boy. I can name at least a dozen stocks for anyone to buy and hold on any given day and know that over a 20 year period they will do much better than any fixed rate funds.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    You can lead a horse to water.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It should be there NOW. It should never have dropped from its old high. You're well-versed in this whole thing; what's up with allowing this obvious underpricing to continue?

Shoulda woulda coulda!

Just who do you think "allowed" anything? Who has the ability to control the behavior of hundreds of millions of individual actors competing for their own best interest?

You sound like someone who expects the president to "create" growth in the economy.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and, yes, anyone taking advice from someone they don't know on the internet is foolish... but so is buying a stock in an uptrend while negative news is being announced.

Negative news doesn't get announced slowly. You have a stock in an uptrend, and then news is announced. How do you know if it's going to be positive or negative? If you never buy a stock in an uptrend then how have you bought Apple in the last 8 years? You be sure to let us know when the next negative news is going to come out, OK?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Who has the ability to control the behavior of hundreds of millions of individual actors competing for their own best interest?

I should rephrase it: When Apple has posted record revenue and record profits every quarter for the past five years and when they have more money than the US Treasury in assets, what's keeping their stock no higher than it was six months ago?

Quote:

You sound like someone who expects the president to "create" growth in the economy.

Heavens, no.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:

What??!!

So you hold 100 shares while I buy and sell 100 shares several times over in a 10 year period.

I still have 100 shares and you still have 100 shares... but I have managed to use profits for purchasing... and yet, somehow, you are further ahead??!

But what did you do without the money that you also lost on the deals? Oh, you mean you're the only person in the world who never misdiagnosed the market? I have to wonder why someone so smart would be poor enough to not have "people" to post to a message board for him.

Give it up, you're not believable.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I should rephrase it: When Apple has posted record revenue and record profits every quarter for the past five years and when they have more money than the US Treasury in assets, what's keeping their stock no higher than it was six months ago?

All the people who sell it, and the buyers of the stock who aren't buying.

See how easy that was?

Here's what makes a market: people disagreeing about the future of a stock. For every people who thinks it "should" be at $500, there's another who thinks it should be at $300. Unless the former outnumber the latter, the stock will not go up.

Let me rephrase your own question another way - why did Apple's stock rush to $400 so far ahead of itself that it was forced to tread water for the last year?
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:

But what did you do without the money that you also lost on the deals? Oh, you mean you're the only person in the world who never misdiagnosed the market? I have to wonder why someone so smart would be poor enough to not have "people" to post to a message board for him.

Give it up, you're not believable.

Well, that would make you just as believable as me.

I've never lost on AAPL and am well ahead.

Do I gamble with other stocks... sure... have I lost... absolutely. This year I bet on nat gas etf's and then we've had the warmest winter for a long time.

Long term... nat gas will give you $15 in 10 years time for every dollar spent today.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:

Negative news doesn't get announced slowly. You have a stock in an uptrend, and then news is announced. How do you know if it's going to be positive or negative? If you never buy a stock in an uptrend then how have you bought Apple in the last 8 years? You be sure to let us know when the next negative news is going to come out, OK?

If a stock has had a long uptrend and then negative news comes out, or news that appears negative then that is a signal that there may be a short term or long term downtrend on the way.

It just happened recently... but you probably didn't even notice.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:

I'm guessing around April 15th.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Wow, I've learned a lot about investing in the stock market in the last 5 minutes. I never realized we had so many financial experts here. Perhaps someone can explain why the volume of Motorola mobile trades peaked 2 days before the announced takeover by google.

After listening to so many 'experts' over the years, I have decided to only invest in companies that a) I've heard of, b) make products (or services) that people actually buy, and will continue to buy, c) are profitable, and d) are run by people you can trust (or believe). I'm sure I've missed out on several money making opportunities, but I'm not a trader.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Wow, I've learned a lot about investing in the stock market in the last 5 minutes. I never realized we had so many financial experts here.

Quote:

Perhaps someone can explain why the volume of Motorola mobile trades peaked 2 days before the announced takeover by google.

The good Doctor would tell you that the game isn't rigged. I, on the other hand, think otherwise.

Quote:

After listening to so many 'experts' over the years, I have decided to only invest in companies that a) I've heard of, b) make products (or services) that people actually buy, and will continue to buy, c) are profitable, and d) are run by people you can trust (or believe). I'm sure I've missed out on several money making opportunities, but I'm not a trader.

I've made money from companies run by assholes but I've always felt good about Apple, even when the Three Stooges ran the company, and with Steve, no question... but never ever listen to anyone on the internet... especially me.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

If a stock has had a long uptrend and then negative news comes out, or news that appears negative then that is a signal that there may be a short term or long term downtrend on the way.

It just happened recently... but you probably didn't even notice.

Haha there were so many equivocal words in that sentence!!!!

News that APPEARS negative... signal that there MAY be a short term OR long term downtrend.

So you're saying the news could be good, but appear bad. And you're saying that there may or may not be a downtrend on the way. And you're saying that it may be short term or long term.

Tell you what, post every trade you make this coming year to this thread before you make it.

I hope to god you bet your life savings...
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:

I'm guessing around April 15th.

Perfect! So now we know, you'll be short on April 14, right?

Are you not interested in the January report? What is your position currently?
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

Haha there were so many equivocal words in that sentence!!!!

News that APPEARS negative... signal that there MAY be a short term OR long term downtrend.

So you're saying the news could be good, but appear bad. And you're saying that there may or may not be a downtrend on the way. And you're saying that it may be short term or long term.

Tell you what, post every trade you make this coming year to this thread before you make it.

I hope to god you bet your life savings...

Tell you what, bud... since you can't comprehend, let's play a game.

I've got a 100 shares and you've got a 100 shares. You hold for the year and I'll play my usual game. I'll let you know when I've sold and when I've bought them back.

Let's see how it goes by the end of 2012.

I'm willing to put my cred on the line. What the hell.

You win... I'll admit it and leave. I win... I get to tell you to go fuck yourself.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:

Tell you what, bud... since you can't comprehend, let's play a game.

I've got a 100 shares and you've got a 100 shares. You hold for the year and I'll play my usual game. I'll let you know when I've sold and when I've bought them back.

Let's see how it goes by the end of 2012.

I'm willing to put my cred on the line. What the hell.

The hilarious thing is that you actually think it has something to do with "cred".

You simply can't predict the future. Apple stock goes down EVERY TIME after earnings, everyone knows that. Except the times when it doesn't.

Now, you're going to have to do it a little differently than you posted above. You can't let us know when you've bought and when you've sold, you have to let us know when you're GOING TO BUY and GOING TO SELL. But we all know you won't do it.

If you actually were as good as you say at predicting the future, you simply wouldn't be here, because you'd have a billion dollars. So I don't have to go out on a limb when I say that you are lying about what you do with Apple stock, because it's self evident. If you were telling the truth you'd be too rich to bother saying what you are saying.

So yeah, what's your position now, and what's your next trade? Let's hear it!
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

The hilarious thing is that you actually think it has something to do with "cred".

You simply can't predict the future. Apple stock goes down EVERY TIME after earnings, everyone knows that. Except the times when it doesn't.

Now, you're going to have to do it a little differently than you posted above. You can't let us know when you've bought and when you've sold, you have to let us know when you're GOING TO BUY and GOING TO SELL. But we all know you won't do it.

If you actually were as good as you say at predicting the future, you simply wouldn't be here, because you'd have a billion dollars. So I don't have to go out on a limb when I say that you are lying about what you do with Apple stock, because it's self evident. If you were telling the truth you'd be too rich to bother saying what you are saying.

So yeah, what's your position now, and what's your next trade? Let's hear it!

Okay... so you won't take the bet.

You had your chance to prove me wrong. Chance is gone.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Okay... so you won't take the bet.

You had your chance to prove me wrong. Chance is gone.

What's the bet? You seem very eager to make the chance gone, are you saying you want me to buy 100 shares? I don't have $40,000 to invest without over-allocating my portfolio. Sounded like you were proposing a hypothetical, which I'm totally happy to see. I'll pit 100 shares of Apple (or literally any stock in the world) against an active trader trading that stock. Let's do it, you just tell me where you're going to post your trades before you place them.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

What's the bet? You seem very eager to make the chance gone, are you saying you want me to buy 100 shares? I don't have $40,000 to invest without over-allocating my portfolio. Sounded like you were proposing a hypothetical, which I'm totally happy to see. I'll pit 100 shares of Apple (or literally any stock in the world) against an active trader trading that stock. Let's do it, you just tell me where you're going to post your trades before you place them.

Now you're just blathering. blah blah blah

You had your chance, but instead it was more important for you to do your best to crap all over me and you're still at it.

It's done, son... you had your chance and now it's gone.