AT&T's 4G-compatible micro-SIM cards prompt speculation of LTE 'iPad 3'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is so much different between an end user device and a personal hotspot that I can't begin to find ways to compare them.

Have you connected via LTE and run the battery from full to empty to see how long you can get with the device on idle and in heavy use?

I know, they are completely different. An iPad uses a lot more battery with screen display stuff and the hotspot uses more battery because it is using both WIFI and LTE at the same time.

I have not really drained it ever. I'm probably not the right person to test it since I'm too busy to go out and experiment. On idle and with moderate use it lasts several hours.

Overall it is a really nice piece of kit. I bought it mostly to connect my MBP. And I got the unlocked version from Amazon for when I travel abroad.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    GOD please make it so. All i care for iPad 3 is retina and LTE. What they do with cpu/gpu-cameras-ram i dont care.

BUT PLEASE LTE!!!
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Question i was planing on using my unlimited ipad sim card on ipad 3. If it is LTE it wont work, so will calling AT&T for a transfer work?
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Question i was planing on using my unlimited ipad sim card on ipad 3.

Good luck with getting "unlimited".

Quote:

If it is LTE it wont work,

That's not true.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good luck with getting "unlimited".

That's not true.

I already have unlimited in my ipad original. By this report i cant just use the same micro sim it has to be micro sim for lte (If ipad 3 is LTE).

by the way this year usage is 700+gig on the ipad, so yes it is unlimited...
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:

by the way this year usage is 700+gig on the ipad, so yes it is unlimited...

So? you're tethering against your EULA? Again, good luck with continuing to have an actually unlimited plan once this thing is released. Particularly since you're tethering, too.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

So? you're tethering against your EULA? Again, good luck with continuing to have an actually unlimited plan once this thing is released. Particularly since you're tethering, too.

No tethering, Netflix and video files from dropbox then using airplay to the tv...
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

No tethering, Netflix and video files from dropbox then using airplay to the tv...

An Apple TV would do the exact same thing FASTER without a monthly charge to use the data!
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:

An Apple TV would do the exact same thing FASTER without a monthly charge to use the data!

I just dont see what apple tv do that i can't do right now. Without apps i cant explain teh purchase...
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

You're using 3G at home?
  • Reply 31 of 48
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You're using 3G at home?

I am. But DSL should be coming to my new apartment in a few weeks, assuming the telco doesn't horribly mess it up like a few months ago.

As for LTE, currently only up to 5km from the CBD in my city, though recently I've looked at the map and it's gone a bit beyond that... But for home/home office you still can't beat teh cable/ADSL for bandwidth and data allocation.

That said, I can regularly hit 6mbit/sec, sometimes past 7mbit/sec within 5km from the CBD through tethering my iPhone 4S (Telstra 3G [NexG])... but in any case I'm about 8km from the CBD.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    LTE is the future, it has been agreed upon internationally. There is also the post-N WiFi coming soon. It would be great if the iPad 3 has both of these.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

LTE on the 3rd generation iPad is looking very likely at this point though I think it will be the first time that Apple has put new cellular tech in the iPad before the iPhone.

It actually makes sense. Many folks that get Cellular iPads don't use that connection all the time since they can actually cancel it with no penalty. They might be counting on that on/off to lessen the load and give them a kind of beta run on LTE before it goes whole hog in an iPhone
  • Reply 35 of 48
    The rest of the world has much more developed LTE networks and more usage.

Saying that Apple is building LTE iPads to "lightly test the LTE network" doesn't make sense outside of the USA.

An explanation that makes more sense is the limited availability of newer LTE chips at this time. Apple makes many more iPhones than iPads. By debuting the LTE chipset on an iPad, it gives Apple's supplier(s) time to ramp up production volumes so when the next-generation iPhone does arrive, there's (mostly) enough capacity to handle the demand.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Hi there I'm new to this forum. I would just like to add something regarding LTE. You see there is an alternative to LTE which WIMAX. Wimax is just wifi in steroids. It's unlimited data just like our internet connection although not as fast as LTE. They are both 4G technology but LTE is promoted by big wireless network because they can charge more. They can charge voice, text, and data volume. or data plan. In other works 4G LTE is just 3G (data plan) on steroids which enables the user to consume your data plan at a faster rate. Hence the user can quickly surpass their XGByte limit and penalize the user. But who cares, I am just a low life, nonsense, non-technical customer anyway.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I am. But DSL should be coming to my new apartment in a few weeks, assuming the telco doesn't horribly mess it up like a few months ago.

As for LTE, currently only up to 5km from the CBD in my city, though recently I've looked at the map and it's gone a bit beyond that... But for home/home office you still can't beat teh cable/ADSL for bandwidth and data allocation.

That said, I can regularly hit 6mbit/sec, sometimes past 7mbit/sec within 5km from the CBD through tethering my iPhone 4S (Telstra 3G [NexG])... but in any case I'm about 8km from the CBD.

Sorry to hear your telco screwed up.

I understand using 3G if it's for temp usage before getting DSL or another type of 'permanent' internet connection, but ShAdOwXPR has used 700+ GB in 42 days over OTA with his iPad(?) I don't understand why he didn't get DSL. Or isn't it available everywhere? 'It' being internet, not specifically over a copper phone line.

I now have a better understanding why people would want LTE. For me, it's a non-issue since it's only available from one telco (Tele2) in The Netherlands and only in a small part of the country, which is already small (1/4 of Texas).

Don't forget that a map can tell you you are 8km away from your CBD, the cables may be laid out less logically than one would expect. I always have to explain to people why their DSL is advertised at a 'maximum possible of xxkbps' and that that number depends on the distance to the telco switching thing, whatever it's called in English.

I sympathize with US citizens for the internet offerings from telcos. Internet speeds seem to be so much better here in Europe. Cheaper too, but I digress (using that word a lot, I seem to like it).

Best

PS: I looked up 'CBD', but Wiki gives me 'CBD is an abbreviation for Central Business District or Compulsive Buying Disorder. The latter may apply to some getting their Apple gear, but in this case: what does it stand for?
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Sorry to hear your telco screwed up.

I understand using 3G if it's for temp usage before getting DSL or another type of 'permanent' internet connection, but ShAdOwXPR has used 700+ GB in 42 days over OTA with his iPad(?) I don't understand why he didn't get DSL. Or isn't it available everywhere? 'It' being internet, not specifically over a copper phone line.

I now have a better understanding why people would want LTE. For me, it's a non-issue since it's only available from one telco (Tele2) in The Netherlands and only in a small part of the country, which is already small (1/4 of Texas).

Don't forget that a map can tell you you are 8km away from your CBD, the cables may be laid out less logically than one would expect. I always have to explain to people why their DSL is advertised at a 'maximum possible of xxkbps' and that that number depends on the distance to the telco switching thing, whatever it's called in English.

I sympathize with US citizens for the internet offerings from telcos. Internet speeds seem to be so much better here in Europe. Cheaper too, but I digress (using that word a lot, I seem to like it).

Best

PS: I looked up 'CBD', but Wiki gives me 'CBD is an abbreviation for Central Business District or Compulsive Buying Disorder. The latter may apply to some getting their Apple gear, but in this case: what does it stand for?

It's not 42 days I'm counting from march to march which is when the ipad comes out...
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

It's not 42 days I'm counting from march to march which is when the ipad comes out...

Strange that over here you wrote 'this year', but anyhoo, why don't you have WiFi at home, if I may ask? Is internet unavailable at your location? Is it remote?

Thanks
  • Reply 40 of 48
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] micro-SIM cards compatible with the carrier's LTE 4G network [...]

[...] iPad from Apple compatible with 4G LTE networks. [...]

[...] not compatible with AT&T's new high-speed 4G LTE network [...]

Please use "LTE" and "4G" more accurately. They are not the same, and should not be used together.

LTE is an interim step. It is a precursor to true 4G networks. Yes, LTE does use some technologies

that that will be used in 4G networks, so those technologies may be referred to as "4G technologies."

But LTE is to 4G as a skateboard is to an automobile. Skateboards can be said to use "automotive technology"

because they have four wheels. But there's obviously a huge difference.