Apple releases Messages beta for Mac, replacing iChat and integrating with iOS

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Perfect solution! Keep it simple.

Before, I?d been wanting everything bundled within iChat itself... but that makes little sense, since FaceTime is not ?chatting? per se, and iChat vs. iMessages work differently (and they have to: one is legacy compatibility with cross-platform users; one is an SMS-alternative).

The simple, best solution?as often with Apple?is obvious in hindsight.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rctshack View Post

For some reason, I had both the computer and the phone working with my @me.com account and it wouldn't sync... and then I changed over to another account with my regular e-mail. Just changed everything to that account now and it works fine. I don't know what the issue was, but it works now.

If you switch back to your @me.com address, does it now sync?
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

YES. IT REPLACES ICHAT.

THANK YOU, APPLE.

For a horrible minute I thought it was going to be a THIRD application. Now all we have to do is combine FaceTime with this thing and we'll be golden.

Just what I was talking about... when was it...last week? two weeks ago? Same sentiment from me on the FaceTime. Make it ONE APP, Apple. Please!
  • Reply 64 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

It can. Limiting new features to the latest hardware is how companies get people to upgrade their software. Lion is only $30. Mountain Lion most likely will be the same. I suggest paying the nominal upgrade fee to stay current and get all the latest features.

I get that, but 2 out of 3 Macs in my home are on Core Duo chips (32-bit, don't support Lion). The Mac Mini and my wife's MacBook. My MBP is the only one running Lion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Most likely because it replies on iCloud APIs, which is not included in SL. You lived without this until now, so you can continue living without it if you don't want to update. Simple as that, and not worth bitching about. It's pretty clear almost all new software released by Apple going forward will required at least 10.7.

I'm not bitching, see above, and no my wife hasn't lived without iChat up until now. Don't be so f***ing rude or presumptuous.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    I currently have an Android device, a Motorola Atrix. I'd prefer an iPhone, however it's paid for by my work so I don't really have a choice. Once I installed the Messages Beta today, when anyone with an iPhone (with me in their contacts) texts me from their iPhone I receive the message on my computer(s), but not on the Atrix phone. This could be a real problem as I won't get any texts when I'm not at my computer.

I realize that most Mac users are likely to use iPhones, but not all. Requiring anyone who wants to text me to create two separate contacts doesn't seem like a reasonable option either.

Is there a simple workaround I'm not thinking of?

--laurence
  • Reply 66 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by laurence13 View Post

Once I installed the Messages Beta today, when anyone with an iPhone (with me in their contacts) texts me from their iPhone I receive the message on my computer(s), but not on the Atrix phone.

Of course not.

… Wait, WHAT?! Oh, wait, that makes sense, I guess. Just tell them not to use your iMessage account ever.

Quote:

Yep, just tell them not to use your iMessage account. You in turn then can't send them iMessages using Messages on your Mac unless you plan to tell them to never directly reply to those messages.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course not.

? Wait, WHAT?! Oh, wait, that makes sense, I guess. Just tell them not to use your iMessage account ever.

Yep, just tell them not to use your iMessage account. You in turn then can't send them iMessages using Messages on your Mac unless you plan to tell them to never directly reply to those messages.

I get that, but when I looked on my girlfriend's iPhone running the latest iOS, I don't see a way to disable iMessage for myself. When I go to send a text on her iPhone and choose my contact it automatically chooses to use the iMessage network rather than sending a text/sms.

The only thing I see that would likely work would be to delete my email address from my contact on her iPhone. This means she can't send me email without manually typing the address each time.

Unless I'm overlooking something this will definitely cause a lot of issues for anyone who has any phone not running iOS 5. This includes people who are still using their iPhone 3G or older.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:

I get that, but when I looked on my girlfriend's iPhone running the latest iOS, I don't see a way to disable iMessage for myself. When I go to send a text on her iPhone and choose my contact it automatically chooses to use the iMessage network rather than sending a text/sms.

Yes, you'll have to tell everyone who messages you to delete your iMessage account that they have in their phone's Address Book.

Quote:

The only thing I see that would likely work would be to delete my email address from my contact on her iPhone. This means she can't send me email without manually typing the address each time.

There's that, too.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

I currently have an Android device, a Motorola Atrix. I'd prefer an iPhone, however it's paid for by my work so I don't really have a choice. Once I installed the Messages Beta today, when anyone with an iPhone (with me in their contacts) texts me from their iPhone I receive the message on my computer(s), but not on the Atrix phone. This could be a real problem as I won't get any texts when I'm not at my computer.

I realize that most Mac users are likely to use iPhones, but not all. Requiring anyone who wants to text me to create two separate contacts doesn't seem like a reasonable option either.

--laurence

Messages lets you choose the recipient type. They don't create a separate contact, they would just need to send you an SMS rather than sending to your iMessage account. They can do that by clicking on your name in the TO field and selecting either your SMS number, or an email address that is not registered with iMessage. Optionally from your end on the Mac, you can unregister a specific email address from your Mac iMessage account so it doesn't receive emails at that address. Then just have your girlfriend send to the unregistered email.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    just curious, how to share a location from Messages app from mac?
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

10.9 will be named Lynx, as Apple links OSX and iOS. OK, maybe not, but wouldn't that be great marketing?

OS X and iOS are already closely linked: they run the same core OS. The iOS emulator that comes with the development tools is a very thin layer that actually runs x86 versions of iOS apps natively on OS X.
    Quote:

People on the web go nuts over silly things like the significance of numbers ("OMG! After 10.9 Apple has to give us a whole new OS!") [...]

People that say such things haven't the slightest clue about software versioning and should shut the hell up about things they know nothing of. And everyone else should stop paying attention to these knuckleheads.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Quote:

Unless I'm overlooking something this will definitely cause a lot of issues for anyone who has any phone not running iOS 5. This includes people who are still using their iPhone 3G or older.

When using your girlfriend's phone, go to Contacts and select you. Then at the bottom push "send Message". Select MOBILE and then all of those messages will go to your Android phone. I don't think they will show up on your Messages app on your Mac though.

Oh and another solution is to create a second contact for you, such as Bob Jones and Bob Jones Mac. That way when she gets a message from you she will immediately know which source you are sending from. She could also create a group message with both contacts so it will always go to both your Mac and Android and you could respond from either. You just won't be able to see your responses from your other device that you sent to her.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    Hopefully gtalk compatibility makes its way to the iOS version. It's the major thing I'm missing on the iPad/iPhone. The 3rd party apps are pretty ugly, using iMessage for all aim like here on OSX would be epic.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    The Mac Messages beta application uses e-mail addresses (since most Mac's do not have an associated phone number).

Using my iPhone Messages app; How do I enter an e-mail address to address a new message to aMac Messages beta recipient?. The iPhone Messages app keyboard only displays alphabetic characters and numbers, no symbols, like the 'at' sign ( @ ) and the period ( . ) that are required in most e-mail addresses.

Also, the iPhone Messages app To: field Plus sign ( + ) allows one to select a recipient from the Contacts app, but it only shows phone numbers, no e-mail addresses.

I have used the Siri voice recognition to spell out the special characters to compete the e-mail address and I suspect copy / paste would also work but there should be a way to address a new message to an e-mail address using the Message app keyboard.

Here is a link to images of the iPhone Messages app To: field keyboard to show that it is configured to not include special characters.

http://gallery.me.com/vcina#100895

Of course, I could be missing some simple way to enter the needed e-mail special characters using the keyboard on the iPhone Messages app keyboard.