Apple proposes refunds for Australian customers unhappy with '4G' iPad [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 126
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svale View Post

The ITU defines 4G as IMT-Advanced, and considers forerunners such as LTE and WiMax, to also be 4G. They do loosely say evolved 3G technologies may also be considered, but until the revised ITU-R recommendation comes out later this year, no one can confidently say what technologies do and do not constitute evolved 3G technologies.

So, strictly speaking, the iPad does not support 4G in Australia.

So much hypocrisy since LTE is an evolved 3G technology.
  • Reply 62 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

I believe Australia is,the only country where people will buy an NTSC TV knowing that it wouldn't work in that country.

Btw common sense is dead in Australia. I was at a bank and the people were queuing to be served and All of them waited for the word 'next' and if none is forthcoming they just stood in line. So if the teller kept quiet for the next 30 minutes I believe they would just stand there and waiting to be called.

It's called common courtesy.
  • Reply 63 of 126
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    When I bought mine on the opening day the staff were completely up front that there was no proper 4G network in Australia. As others have said: this is a non-story, a beat up by the anti-Apple Australian press and a government intent on distracting everyone from their imminent collapse.
  • Reply 64 of 126
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Quote:

I believe Australia is,the only country where people will buy an NTSC TV knowing that it wouldn't work in that country.

Btw common sense is dead in Australia. I was at a bank and the people were queuing to be served and All of them waited for the word 'next' and if none is forthcoming they just stood in line. So if the teller kept quiet for the next 30 minutes I believe they would just stand there and waiting to be called.

[racist comment removed]

Sad.

Where bouts are you from? if you say America, that would be a very very very sad case of the pot calling the kettle black...

Damn, gotta love 'chainsaw' , ill just leave it to chainsaw to talk, ill just nod & agree, makes so much sense.

A whole lot of armchair experts & keyboard warriors, talking about australian law, armed with cracker jack logic & no education...Its entertaining, until you realise they are being serious, now its sad.
  • Reply 65 of 126
    svalesvale Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So much hypocrisy since LTE is an evolved 3G technology.

If my supposed hypocrisy bothers you, then contact the ITU and tell them to revise their press release. What I posted was what the ITU posted verbatim.
  • Reply 66 of 126
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

The ITU has been defining these standards for a long time and the world has followed them, but now we are ignoring the ITU and following the telco's definitions? If the telcos can do it then why not the vendors? Where is the sense in that?

I get it. The ITU makes these definitions. The way it is in Australia is simply that HSPA+ is not characterised as 4g in Australia. By ANYONE. Even Apples iPad page calls this technology 3G.

I know you don't like it but that's the way it is.
  • Reply 67 of 126
    spezispezi Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Except that it does get 4G in Australia (and the rest of the world) according to the ITU's definition. Why is that all of a sudden not an acceptable definition for the rest of the world?

The unfortunate situation is, that no one really has cared much for ITU's definition of 4G, ever. Here in Germany (and I think many other parts of the world, including Australia), LTE was always the "next generation" of mobile networks, and thus named 4G, even when the ITU said that only LTE-Advanced would be truly 4G. And when T-Mobile USA and AT&T decided to market their HSPA+ and DC-HSPA networks as 4G, and the ITU changed it's definition accordingly, again it seems no one outside of North America seems to have noticed.

It's a bit ironic that the parent company of T-Mobile USA, Deutsche Telekom, decided to market the "iPad WiFi + 4G" in Germany as "iPad WiFi + SIM", since they feared that confused consumers would believe that an "iPad WiFi + 4G" would run on what DT here calls their 4G network (LTE on 800 MHz and 1800MHz), while it "only" runs on their 42 Mbit/s DC-HSPA network.

Apple by now has at least removed the colorful "4G LTE" icon from its German website, clarified the footnote that the "some territories"(or such) they originally referred to as having 4G connectivity are actually specifically the USA and Canada, and otherwise states that the iPad WiFi + 4G supports "HSPA, HSPA+ and DC-HSPA - the fastest 3G networks in existence".

In short, it's a bit of a messy situation, from a global perspective. I think, the best a company can do in such a situation, is to be very clear about the capabilities by using the terms for technical capabilities that are usually used in the respective country. And by "very clear" I do not necessarily mean a footnote in small print in light grey on white background. It's a matter of showing that you respect your (potential) customers.
  • Reply 68 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Every time this comes up, this thought goes through my head once again: I thought the whole point of LTE (long ago) was supposed to be how worldwide-compatible it was gonna be. What went wrong?

LTE as a standard can't really work worldwide especially considering the provider of LTE in the USA is Verizon, which is a CDMA network. Not many countries still have a CDMA network in operation - many were closed down for GSM.

The truth here is that Apple made the mistake in labelling the models the way they did. Selling something as the iPad wifi+4G indicates to the consumer more than anything that they can get 4G on said device. To have the possibility for 4G not even in one's country stretches the "capable of 4G" argument too far. Most users will never experience the 4G that Apple is describing, so fine print isn't enough. It needs to be up front and centre, all references to 4G shouldn't be on these devices.

Apple has built an enormous user base and with that user base comes trust. Many people who buy Apple products are not technologically savvy. It's the reason many people buy their products - they just work. When people bought the iPhone 3G, they knew they were getting a device capable of 3G in their country. Regardless of any fine print, the regular consumer of any country could not be made to realise that their iPad with 4G in its title in fact can't do 4G in their country simply by some fine print. People near me in line on release day didn't know 4G wasn't available here using this iPad, and many in the line probably didn't. You can't raise a generation of people on Apple devices and not expect to think for them. It goes hand in hand with Apple products.

The ACCC are just doing their duty to the Australian community by bringing product sellers into line with the law. Not doing so would make them irresponsible. They simply want Apple to correct their local advertising to remove references to 4G because it doesn't exist in the country at these standards. These come with mandatory fines they can't simply shrug off because it's Apple. As was stated in the Australian news this morning, the ACCC has won harder cases in the past - for example, 3D TV's were sold around the country before football season, with the promise of 3D content. The fine print stated that the 3D content was only available in capital cities, but this was not spoken in the adds nor prominent enough in its (fine) print to communicate this appropriately to potential consumers.

People from the USA (whom I assume are the bulk of the people here calling us Australians idiots) seem to forget that in their country, the consumer can't make a mistake, not because they're more intelligent - but due to the fact that no matter what 4G model they buy, be it Verizon or AT&T, they're going to be able to get 4G. People in countries which aren't locked into a carrier have to think harder about these things, and they shouldn't have to rely on limited fine print to tell them no, when the title of the damn device tells them otherwise.

Heaven forbid your precious Apple can do something wrong. The fanboyism here is out of control. The USA is the king of dumbness when it comes to lawsuits. Look at yourselves first before projecting onto others.
  • Reply 69 of 126
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    For the record, while all the fans that share a common interest of Apple products squabble with each other over the definition of 4G in various regions, this entire thing was started when Samsung complained to the ACCC two weeks ago about Apple's 4G claims for the new iPad.

Surprised?

Let's keep our eye on the common enemy before we start fighting amongst ourselves.
  • Reply 70 of 126
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

For the record, while all the fans that share a common interest of Apple products squabble with each other over the definition of 4G in various regions, this entire thing was started when Samsung complained to the ACCC two weeks ago about Apple's 4G claims for the new iPad.

Surprised?

Let's keep our eye on the common enemy before we start fighting amongst ourselves.

LOL. the "common enemy" has its name on half of the guts of the device you're typing on.
  • Reply 71 of 126
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

LOL. the "common enemy" has its name on half of the guts of the device you're typing on.

Extremely relevant point.

Samsung are responsible for a portion of the iPad's components so, despite everything that has happened, and continues to happen in courts around the world, they could never be considered the common-enemy?

Nice leap of logic.

Here's an interesting question for you:

If Samsung are responsible for 'half the guts of a device' that's seeing such an astounding worldwide success, then why are they experiencing such difficulty completing the other half and bringing out their iPad-killer?
  • Reply 72 of 126
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spezi View Post

The unfortunate situation is, that no one really has cared much for ITU's definition of 4G, ever. Here in Germany (and I think many other parts of the world, including Australia), LTE was always the "next generation" of mobile networks, and thus named 4G, even when the ITU said that only LTE-Advanced would be truly 4G. And when T-Mobile USA and AT&T decided to market their HSPA+ and DC-HSPA networks as 4G, and the ITU changed it's definition accordingly, again it seems no one outside of North America seems to have noticed.

It's a bit ironic that the parent company of T-Mobile USA, Deutsche Telekom, decided to market the "iPad WiFi + 4G" in Germany as "iPad WiFi + SIM", since they feared that confused consumers would believe that an "iPad WiFi + 4G" would run on what DT here calls their 4G network (LTE on 800 MHz and 1800MHz), while it "only" runs on their 42 Mbit/s DC-HSPA network.

Apple by now has at least removed the colorful "4G LTE" icon from its German website, clarified the footnote that the "some territories"(or such) they originally referred to as having 4G connectivity are actually specifically the USA and Canada, and otherwise states that the iPad WiFi + 4G supports "HSPA, HSPA+ and DC-HSPA - the fastest 3G networks in existence".

In short, it's a bit of a messy situation, from a global perspective. I think, the best a company can do in such a situation, is to be very clear about the capabilities by using the terms for technical capabilities that are usually used in the respective country. And by "very clear" I do not necessarily mean a footnote in small print in light grey on white background. It's a matter of showing that you respect your (potential) customers.

This!
  • Reply 73 of 126
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    If the ITU has allowed the 4G standards to include LTE, WiMax, AND HSPA+, and the new iPad will work on HSPA+ networks in Australia, then by international definition, it's a 4G device. It sounds like Australia has set their laws on a certain technology being the only one they will accept as 4G, and now have a hurt-butt because Apple hasn't bent over backwards to accommodate their laws.

If Australia were to deem that all 'automobiles' had to run on diesel, would GM be sued for selling a Holden that runs on gasoline and calling it an 'automobile', even though that is internationally understood?
  • Reply 74 of 126
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

If the ITU has allowed the 4G standards to include LTE, WiMax, AND HSPA+, and the new iPad will work on HSPA+ networks in Australia, then by international definition, it's a 4G device. It sounds like Australia has set their laws on a certain technology being the only one they will accept as 4G, and now have a hurt-butt because Apple hasn't bent over backwards to accommodate their laws.

If Australia were to deem that all 'automobiles' had to run on diesel, would GM be sued for selling a Holden that runs on gasoline and calling it an 'automobile', even though that is internationally understood?

You apparently didn't bother to read the quote in the post just above yours. It makes eminent sense IMO, while also explaining this isn't unique to Australia.
  • Reply 75 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

This is so dumb, anybody with a brain would realize that the iPad is 4G capable, it has 4G modem circuitry inside, that means IF THERE IS a 4G network available, it will operate at 4G speed. A consumer should know that the Australian networks are not 4G LTE before they buy the iPad....they could take it on a trip to the USA anytime and use it on America's 4G LTE networks -- the iPad IS 4G-capable!! yes....but if the network infrastructure is not there to support it, that functionality will not work. This should be known from the start, this is NOT some con by Apple, it is just simply ignorant, uneducated consumers who don't know anything about electronics or wireless technology or how networks work and operate. The EQUIPMENT (towers, antennas, and routers) have to be in place for a 4G network to work, and that kind of network simply isn't being offered in Aussie-land yet. But the 4G iPad IS a 4G iPad true and true. No deception by Apple.

[insults removed]. There is a Telstra LTE tower with 3km of where I live. I can buy LTE USB stick, LTE to wifi router, LTE phones. All in Australia.

The labelling, branding and advertising is incorrect but I would question if it is deceiving. It does not say that it WILL work with Telstra's LTE, that would be deceiving. 3G iPhones in Australia do not work on all towers, regional Optus bands were incompatible with the 3G and 3GS.

Regardless it is an issue, the product is incorrectly labelled for its actual functionality in the market.

I can only imagine the screaming that would be going on in this forum if the iPad did not work on USA carriers LTE bands, actually I do not need to imagine, only look back to the bitching when the iPhone 3G was released in the USA and it was carrier limited, with a limited amount of 3G towers and poor coverage.

Actually your "non story", "non issue" created class action suits, bad media and 1000's of comment posts complaining. The ACCC has pointed out something and asked for appropriate changes. No law suits from Australian individuals, no stream of bitching and threats.

Thankfully I am a robust Australian, not the bunch of gold fish memory, foul mouthed brain failures from the USA that complained so viciously when the shoe was on their foot.
  • Reply 76 of 126
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

"Being polite" might be a new concept for you but keep at it and you'll adjust.
  • Reply 77 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

In Australia small text at the bottom of the box does NOT excuse a company for false advertising, it just doesn't.

The idea behind this suit isn't to attack apple, it is to protect consumers,

it is very very simple.

PS i just looked at my New iPad 4G box....Yeah.... no warning sticker...the end.

You better run you better take cover....er you better get a refund I meant.
  • Reply 78 of 126
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

FYI?You'd be hard pressed to find an Australian car running on "gasoline". Aussie cars run on "petrol".

This entire thread is ridiculous, because the ethereal definition of 4G is ridiculous. HSPA+ is technically 4G and my iPhone 4S has been running on it since launch day. Someone needs to nail these standards down.

I'm very happy with my new iPad. It's a million times better than any other device with a similar form factor.
  • Reply 79 of 126
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

[insults removed] There is a Telstra LTE tower with 3km of where I live. I can buy LTE USB stick, LTE to wifi router, LTE phones. All in Australia.

The labelling, branding and advertising is incorrect but I would question if it is deceiving. It does not say that it WILL work with Telstra's LTE, that would be deceiving. 3G iPhones in Australia do not work on all towers, regional Optus bands were incompatible with the 3G and 3GS.

Regardless it is an issue, the product is incorrectly labelled for its actual functionality in the market.

I can only imagine the screaming that would be going on in this forum if the iPad did not work on USA carriers LTE bands, actually I do not need to imagine, only look back to the bitching when the iPhone 3G was released in the USA and it was carrier limited, with a limited amount of 3G towers and poor coverage.

Actually your "non story", "non issue" created class action suits, bad media and 1000's of comment posts complaining. The ACCC has pointed out something and asked for appropriate changes. No law suits from Australian individuals, no stream of bitching and threats.

Thankfully I am a robust Australian, not the bunch of gold fish memory, foul mouthed brain failures from the USA that complained so viciously when the shoe was on their foot.

Damn Straight!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

You better run you better take cover....er you better get a refund I meant.

Hahaha & eat my Vegemite sandwich? haha

seriously tho, even tho my new iPad isnt running 4g, its pretty damn quick i love it, its in my bed with me haha
  • Reply 80 of 126
    Quote:

Nah, what's really going on is a cultural/geopolitical issue.

While in the states we are conditioned to read fine print and scrutinize advertising claims, that does not apply to other countries and the burden of not implying false claims is put on the manufacturer.

So basically it's like this: you can not make any implicit claims about your product, or it will be considered misleading, even if you explicitly explain the capabilities in fine print.

There may not be a law there that defines 4G strictly as LTE, however it is a commonly held belief. In that sense by the laws there, Apple's ad campaign could be called misleading. I know for anyone from the states this may look like a nanny state, but it's different in other countries.

I worked for a big international outfit in the past and I can tell you cultural divides can be huge!