Prudential: Apple to release two iPhone models, one with WiFi

Comments

• Reply 21 of 141
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    yea yea.. yet another iPhone article.

Since, I'm happy with my Nokia S60 smartphone and Sidekick 3, I don't think I will actually buy an Apple-branded iPhone. Too little, too late.
  • Reply 22 of 141
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Apple would likely want to keep a wide screen iPod as close as possible the same size, weight, and battery life of the current iPod.

Maybe, but I think it's at least possible that the videoPod will be added to the iPod line-up, rather than replace the current iPod. In fact, I think that's likely, given the price drop on the recent iPod release. If that happens, it could be almost like a small portable TV with a laptop-size VGA screen, rather than a new iPod.
  • Reply 23 of 141
    What I don't get is his models for Macs being sold looks fantastic, fantastic growth etc (1.9M Macs!) - but apparently it means nothing if Microsoft sell a Zune or until Apple releases an iPhone or two.

WTF? What Mac market share growth would this analyst need to see for him to see the point in investing based upon it? I don't get it!
  • Reply 24 of 141
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Keyboards on mobile devices are crap.

I'm looking forward to seeing Apple's solution.
  • Reply 25 of 141
    this doesn't sound Apple-like, this guy is full of shit.

1) I doubt they'll release two different phones right off the batt. maybe two phones with minor differences but two totally different designs.. no..

2) Keyboard? i think not..

3) Apple is not a company that throws out crappy products to "test" the market. They try to do it right the first time. If they wanted to test the market I'm sure theyd already have a phone out.
  • Reply 26 of 141
    Too late. My Sony Ericsson p990i arrives on Thursday. It cost £49. http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/h...il/pay_monthly

Maybe next year once they've worked out the kinks. I still need a new small phone though for when I don't want to carry a chunky smartphone so maybe if they do an iPhone Nano and it's next to free on pay-as-you-go and easy unlocked I'll try one of those. In the meantime, I'll stick with the excellent UIQ phones which in general work better than any other smartphones with MacOSX and iSync.
  • Reply 27 of 141
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Maybe, but I think it's at least possible that the videoPod will be added to the iPod line-up, rather than replace the current iPod. In fact, I think that's likely, given the price drop on the recent iPod release.

That's possible. But I think they won't launch until the time is right to do so.

I cannot see them bringing a full screen iPod that is significantly heavier or have significantly less battery life and sell it for more than the current iPod.
  • Reply 28 of 141
    The problem I have with the full video iPod is where you're expected to get the content from. Music CDs can be ripped easily because they have no DRM. DVDs do. Plus it takes a lifetime to transcode a DVD to ipod sized video unless you've got the latest top end kit.

That leaves buying videos from the iTunes store. Something you can only do in the USA currently and it's incredibly limited.

So, for all but the geeks who know how to illegally rip DVDs and Americans, there's no content AT ALL for a video iPod. Music is still where it's at.
  • Reply 29 of 141
    uh.. video content: insert DVD, wake up. Video content ready. What's the problem?
  • Reply 30 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

Excuse my cell phone ignorance but whats so great about T Mobile?

If you travel internationally they have far greater coverage.
  • Reply 31 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

The Ads. She's hot. The service isn't.

If you're looking for lousy service and coverage, just get Sprint.
  • Reply 32 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram

I've got news for you: Apple's phone will be GSM, and an exclusive with T-Mobile (I am bummed, since I just signed on to a stupid 2-year Verizon agreement).

How do you "know" this?
  • Reply 33 of 141
    I'd go for this if it had Palm or Windows compatibility built in. I have a treo and use numerous medical apps on it, and I am not willing to carry two devices. The likelihood of any company porting their Palm/Windows apps to the iPhone is pretty small (unless they just take over the market). Of course I have two devices to carry around now as it is, iPod and Treo, maybe I'll upgrade to an iPhone and get a cheap Palm for my med apps.
  • Reply 34 of 141
    I might be the only person in this forum with something positive to say about this, but I LOVE the idea. Right now I carry a wallet, Treo, iPod, and keys in my pockets. That means that I carry around 4 pockets-worth of electronics, and only 3 available pockets (I don't use my other back pocket, don't want to crush something or stab myself). I think that an iPod phone "iPhone" is a natural progression. Pretty much everyone with an iPod has a cell-phone these days, making a product that combines the two together is extremely smart on Apple's part. The idea of having two models is also ingenious. A base model for minimalists who just want iPod Nano capability/capacity as well as a simple "does it's job well" cell-phone. A Smartphone for people who want 5G iPod capabilities and also want to be able to take notes, email, play games, surf the web, etc... on their device.

If Apple makes a Smartphone that works seemlessly with a Mac (and Windows) I would be very willing to shell out $500 for it since a plain phone with the same capabilities plus an iPod would run you well over that price!

->Jason: If such a device is in the works from Apple you can be assured that they will have a very simple way to program apps for the device. There would be a ton of early adopters out there who would love to get their hands on the device. You can be sure that it would be beautiful and very appealing to people. I wouldn't be surprised if companies that make Palm apps would be able to port such apps over to the iPhone fairly easily enough.
  • Reply 35 of 141
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skwidspawn

I might be the only person in this forum with something positive to say about this, but I LOVE the idea. Right now I carry a wallet, Treo, iPod, and keys in my pockets. That means that I carry around 4 pockets-worth of electronics, and only 3 available pockets (I don't use my other back pocket, don't want to crush something or stab myself). I think that an iPod phone "iPhone" is a natural progression. Pretty much everyone with an iPod has a cell-phone these days, making a product that combines the two together is extremely smart on Apple's part. The idea of having two models is also ingenious. A base model for minimalists who just want iPod Nano capability/capacity as well as a simple "does it's job well" cell-phone. A Smartphone for people who want 5G iPod capabilities and also want to be able to take notes, email, play games, surf the web, etc... on their device.

If Apple makes a Smartphone that works seemlessly with a Mac (and Windows) I would be very willing to shell out $500 for it since a plain phone with the same capabilities plus an iPod would run you well over that price!

Quote:

->Jason: If such a device is in the works from Apple you can be assured that they will have a very simple way to program apps for the device. There would be a ton of early adopters out there who would love to get their hands on the device. You can be sure that it would be beautiful and very appealing to people. I wouldn't be surprised if companies that make Palm apps would be able to port such apps over to the iPhone fairly easily enough.

Look at your Dashboard content. I am convinced that a 'hidden' reason for the development of Widgets was not only to feed Dashboard, but to have a readymade body of software to feed a Video iPod and/or the iPhone and/or the iTablet.

...I hope.

V/R,

Aries 1B

• Reply 36 of 141
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveGTA

this doesn't sound Apple-like, this guy is full of shit.

1) I doubt they'll release two different phones right off the batt. maybe two phones with minor differences but two totally different designs.. no..

2) Keyboard? i think not..

3) Apple is not a company that throws out crappy products to "test" the market. They try to do it right the first time. If they wanted to test the market I'm sure theyd already have a phone out.

1. Actually doesn't this make perfect sense if you go with Steve's idea of a grid for business and consumer products. Imagine a larger, possibly aluminum smartphone for business and a smaller candy-bar phone for most people. Integrating a phone, pda, and computer under a killer OS would be a huge incentive to some business owners to switch platforms, if only from some variant of the halo effect. Add the media player functionality to it for some smooth jazz and you'll have executives clamoring for it, since they can plug it into their BMWs or take it with them in transit.

A consumer phone would probably be just a good-looking phone with good menus and useful features.

2. Perhaps thinking outside the box is a good idea for this one. I have faith in Mssrs. Ive and Jobs to come up with something more innovative, probably also something very obvious that we are missing. The first thing they teach you in a design school is how to break your preconcieved notions and look at things in a totally different way. It's pretty disturbing how much junk is piled up over more obvious answers by years of thinking in one particular way. Consider, for example, the way people often percieve OS X being too simple or not linear enough, which is a product of hand-holding MS technology.

3. Maybe they already have. Why else would they drop such an ugly, unworkable POS as the ROKR E1. I can't imagine that Steve would let that out without some kind of ulterior motive. The iTunes on Motorola phones deal looks to me like an experimentation phase that is to be merged with iPod and a dash of OS X.
  • Reply 37 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aries 1B

Look at your Dashboard content. I am convinced that a 'hidden' reason for the development of Widgets was not only to feed Dashboard, but to have a readymade body of software to feed a Video iPod and/or the iPhone and/or the iTablet.

...I hope.

Wow... that's an awesome idea. With the updated widget creation tools in the next release of OSX Leopard we can expect to see some pretty powerful widgets find their way into the Dashboard. If Apple went with this sort of idea for a phone we could expect some very cheap, extremely powerful application appear for the phone quickly. Writing a simple spreadsheet or text editing widgit that communicates with Office or Pages would be easy! Aries... you've gotten me all excited over here!
  • Reply 38 of 141
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aries 1B

...I hope.

V/R,

Aries 1B

EXACTLY MY HOPE TOO!!!!!
  • Reply 39 of 141
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Wow... that's an awesome idea. With the updated widget creation tools in the next release of OSX Leopard we can expect to see some pretty powerful widgets find their way into the Dashboard. If Apple went with this sort of idea for a phone we could expect some very cheap, extremely powerful application appear for the phone quickly. Writing a simple spreadsheet or text editing widgit that communicates with Office or Pages would be easy! Aries... you've gotten me all excited over here!

Egad!

Don't get too excited; I've been waiting for my Newton replacement since 1998. Keep a low pulse rate and enjoy life.

If the proliferation of Widgets to new Apple platforms is part of Steve's Plan, then when/if they launch Apple's Fabled Platforms (Video iPod, iPhone(s), and iTablet) there's already a significant software base AND, as you point out, the updated Widget creation tools which would lead to an unprecedentedly quick ramp-up of applications. Talk about hitting the ground running!

The topic of software that already exists for Apple's Fabled Platforms could well be a significant page in the next keynote!

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 40 of 141
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasong

I'd go for this if it had Palm or Windows compatibility built in. I have a treo and use numerous medical apps on it, and I am not willing to carry two devices. The likelihood of any company porting their Palm/Windows apps to the iPhone is pretty small (unless they just take over the market). Of course I have two devices to carry around now as it is, iPod and Treo, maybe I'll upgrade to an iPhone and get a cheap Palm for my med apps.

Ditto for me... at work I often have to wear two pagers, my mobile phone, my palm tx in a pocket and usually my iPod if I am on call. I would love to consolidate some of this stuff, but only in an Apple device. Lots of my colleagues have Treos, but they are just not well implemented solutions to the problems. With all the medical software out there for Palms, I would have to have something that can run Palm software.