How fast is your cell phone? (data speed tests)

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
I'm curious to know data speeds you are getting on your iPhone or any other cell phone. Don't forget to list your location and carrier, too.
I average about 215kb/s on AT&T in the US.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I think some of these speed tests are a load of bull anyway. They download such a tiny tiny file which doesn't really give any true reflection of sustained throughput at all. Everyone should be taking the 'High Speed' test from the third link, and posting their results to that, as that actually provides a decent amount of data to get an accurate score.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Everyone should be taking the 'High Speed' test from the third link, and posting their results to that, as that actually provides a decent amount of data to get an accurate score.

I did twice and got an average of 205Kb/s this time. Took a long time, but the results are consistent.

With the speeds I get from my #G card I am really looking forward to a 3G iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Does no one own cell phones or is there such little interest to see what your cell data rates are?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    It is more interesting than some people think at first because you can use your phone to go online with your computer. This is very handy if you are out and about with your laptop or you move house and don't have a phone line.

I just have a cheapo vodafone in the UK and I got just over the speed of a dial-up modem - round about 56kbps. But it did the job until I got broadband installed. It was pay as you go though and they charge you based on how much data you download so it's expensive.

If you had a contract phone with unlimited data access and you only used the internet for average use, you could use your mobile phone for all your mobile broadband needs.

Just think, you have your 3G mobile in your pocket and you are sitting in a lecture hall or on a cheap flight with no wifi, you can connect to your phone via bluetooth and use the connection to get online. Note, mobile phones sometimes have restrictions on what sites you can access though until you use a credit card to verify your age.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does no one own cell phones or is there such little interest to see what your cell data rates are?

2132kbps WiFi

195kbps EDGE
  • Reply 6 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iPhone over WiFi = 448kbps

Ireland, 6Mb, Airport Extreme.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

2132kbps WiFi

195kbps EDGE

Holy! How you getting those WiFi speeds? What speed is your broadband?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iPhone over WiFi = 448kbps

Ireland, 6Mb, Airport Extreme.

Quote:

Holy! How you getting those WiFi speeds? What speed is your broadband?

You should be getting 2Mb/s too if you have a 6Mb/s connection.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

You should be getting 2Mb/s too if you have a 6Mb/s connection.

Hum, I wonder why I'm not? I know my connection speed is 6Mb, I tested on my comp. I am sure the iPhone web browser, while not fast, is going at full speed.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Hum, I wonder why I'm not? I know my connection speed is 6Mb, I tested on my comp. I am sure the iPhone web browser, while not fast, is going at full speed.

If you tested it with your connected computer then you have a baseline set. Is your WiFi set to 802.11g? There will be amore of a delay with wireless and with the slower iPhone processor but the overall speed should be much different unless your computer was bogging down the internet connection when you tested the iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

If you tested it with your connected computer then you have a baseline set. Is your WiFi set to 802.11g? There will be amore of a delay with wireless and with the slower iPhone processor but the overall speed should be much different unless your computer was bogging down the internet connection when you tested the iPhone.

The computer is off. I must look into that N/G setting. I don't believe I chose either of then when setting up the base station. I just went through the wizard and chose a password really.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    This is an interesting test. I have 24/1 MB DSL at home. I am interested to see the speeds as well. I will test this once I am back in Finland.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    67 kbp on my iPhone.

See why I want 3G? This is the alternative -- GPRS goodness.

Amorya
  • Reply 14 of 24
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

67 kbp on my iPhone.

See why I want 3G? This is the alternative -- GPRS goodness.

Amorya

Try this to see how all the 3G naysayers are going to be smoked by a real mobile broadband iPhone.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1032
  • Reply 15 of 24
    The above links said too fast to measure but

www.dslreports.com/mspeed

says 375kbit/sec 0.604s latency in Leander Texas.

BTW my Tilt (a HTC handset) has had 3G multi tasking, copy/paste, slingbox etc since I bought in 2007.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    theogttheogt Posts: 16member
    This is over 3G:

• Reply 17 of 24
    theogttheogt Posts: 16member
    Wifi:

• Reply 18 of 24
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Iron oh 45638

522 kbs

3G att
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Getting 945kb at work in Austin TX
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I am using Nokia n70 and I am using t mobile. But do not the speed in data downloading and transfering .IT is only 200Kp/s.