NVIDIA prepping GeForce GTX 285 for Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Why are the 2006 Mac Pros being orphaned when it comes to new video cards? They're still very capable machines, and they have PCI Express too.

All you need is driver support, and that's on the software side. Is it a power issue? If it were a card released by Apple I'd understand because they want to sell new Macs, but if it's Nvidia selling it you'd expect them to want it to be available to as many potential customers as possible.

It makes no sense.

I looked into this a while ago, and although I can't remember the exact wording I can tell you that is has to do with the amount of on-board video cards' bios rom. Basically, any video card built for Apple requires more than a standard pc.
  • Reply 62 of 90
    I'll be getting one as soon as it comes out!
  • Reply 63 of 90
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Londor View Post

So you went through all the trouble of finding that article but you failed to read it. Amusing.

"The Power Macintosh G5 Quad 2.5 has a four slot PCI Express bus with a fixed total of 32 lanes (with a 16-lane, 4-lane, 8-lane, and 4-lane slot) and the subsequently introduced Mac Pro "Eight Core" 2.8 (Early 2008) has a fixed total of 40 lanes (with a double-wide 16-lane PCIe 2.0 slot, single-wide 16-lane PCIe 2.0 slot, and two 4-lane PCIe slots).

The original Mac Pro Quad 2.66, on the other hand, has a four slot PCI Express bus with a total of 26 dynamically allocated lanes. By default, the graphics card occupies a double-wide 16-lane PCI Express slot, the second slot is allocated as a single lane, and the third and fourth slot are each configured as 4-lane slots."

I read the article, Kondor. The article doesn't jive with Apple's Spec Diagram. Or are you too terribly important to notice?
  • Reply 64 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

The Mac Pro 2006 is an EFI-32 beast. This is why it took a lot of whining to get Apple to release Mac Pro 2006-compatible cards when the newer Mac Pros had EFI-64.

Perhaps if owners of Mac Pro 2006 (such as myself) complain enough, nVidia will release an EFI-32 compatible GeForce GTX 285.

I'll be one of those people complaining again. I just got a bit excited when I read we were getting a new NVIDIA card only to become extremely pissed to find out I can't upgrade to it! Jesus H Christ, I love my MacPro and OS X but why should we have to kick and scream to get something like this?!?

Paying the money we do for a professional graphics workstation that can't get a decent video upgrade is totally wrong! I will be writing to Steve again. I suggest you all do the same who care about keeping your Mac investment worth something in the future!

This is the kind of BS that Windows users don't have to put up with, and REALLY makes me consider alternatives when I hear stuff like this.
  • Reply 65 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ikir View Post

To all Mac Pro 2006 owner, Nvidia 8800GT is a cool card, if you don't have it, buy it now! It is an incredible upgrade compared to the old default cards.

it's not as good as the GeForce GTX 285 which is so far not an option for 2006 owners who need more.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I read the article, Kondor. The article doesn't jive with Apple's Spec Diagram. Or are you too terribly important to notice?

LOL. Instead of admitting you were wrong you just keep digging yourself into a deeper hole.

That diagram is the default configuration of the four slot PCI Express bus with a total of 26 dynamically allocated lanes that had the original Mac Pro Quad 2.66.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

What's the deal again? That diagram you linked is not relevant to the current machine.
  • Reply 68 of 90
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Londor View Post

LOL. Instead of admitting you were wrong you just keep digging yourself into a deeper hole.

That diagram is the default configuration of the four slot PCI Express bus with a total of 26 dynamically allocated lanes that had the original Mac Pro Quad 2.66.

What are you talking about? My discussion revolves around Apple not supporting SLI you dweeb. Anything someone else is discussing is orthonormal to my position and concern with the Mac Pro.

From that view I can cram the s*** out of a second double and watch the heat transfer out going right into the ground. The back blower out takes a large portion of the heat out. Side by side I'd love to see someone waste buying two of those cards and see how gloriously useless they are on OS X and Mac Pros.

Show me where I'm going to put 2 GTX295/285 x16 fully accessed and SLI enabled Nvidia cards let alone ATi Crossfire.

Apple doesn't support either configuration you mindless drone.

Everything in this discussion is a hack: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....47622&tstart=0
  • Reply 69 of 90
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Trolls like you are so funny. I knew you will end up resorting to personal attacks.

Quote:

I'll be ecstatic when Apple offers 2,3 or 4 full PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots in their Workstation.

Quote:

I'll upgrade when their motherboard includes more than one x16 slot for PCI Express 2.0. Until then, I'll wait.

Quote:

I think this tutorial and chart clears everything up.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...gurations.html

[IMG]Irrelevant diagram goes here[/IMG]

Quote:

What are you talking about? My discussion revolves around Apple not supporting SLI you dweeb. Anything someone else is discussing is orthonormal to my position and concern with the Mac Pro.

• Reply 70 of 90
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MotherBrain View Post

I'll be one of those people complaining again. I just got a bit excited when I read we were getting a new NVIDIA card only to become extremely pissed to find out I can't upgrade to it! Jesus H Christ, I love my MacPro and OS X but why should we have to kick and scream to get something like this?!?

Paying the money we do for a professional graphics workstation that can't get a decent video upgrade is totally wrong! I will be writing to Steve again. I suggest you all do the same who care about keeping your Mac investment worth something in the future!

This is the kind of BS that Windows users don't have to put up with, and REALLY makes me consider alternatives when I hear stuff like this.

PC people do have to put up with this, and over the years, they have put up with this.

Every time a new way of integrating a graphics card into a machine is invented, the new cards won't work (with some exceptions) in old machines.

We can start with the PCI bus. The first implementation of this bus had no graphics slot. The cards went into a PCI slot. Some manufacturers specified which PCI slot, and some didn't. It depended on how many slots were there, among other issues.

When the AGP bus was invented, the new cards that used that couldn't work in a PCI slot. Each time the AGP bus was improved to be wider, most newer cards couldn't work in the older AGP machines. The few that could, ran slower, and usually no faster than the older cards for the slower slots.

When the industry moved to the Express bus, the same thing happened. You couldn't use AGP cards, and the new cards wouldn't work in older machines.

With Express 2, we have an upgraded standard. Like AGP, some cards from the old machines will work in the new machines, but most won't. Most new cards won't work in old machines, but some will.

This is the way the world goes. It's not just Apple.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Then I'd say it's funny you never mentioned SLI in this thread before this post, if anything, it would seem you were beating around the bush if that's what you were really getting at given how much you've been fussing over the slots. It's not as if SLI is necessarily the only reason one would want multiple video cards.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

What are you talking about? My discussion revolves around Apple not supporting SLI you dweeb.

Quote:

Apple doesn't support either configuration you mindless drone.

You sir are an ass. The discussion was about whether the slots existed, not what they were used for. There is no reason to attack people like that. It's people like you that ruin reading these boards. get a life.
  • Reply 73 of 90
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Then I'd say it's funny you never mentioned SLI in this thread before this post, if anything, it would seem you were beating around the bush if that's what you were really getting at given how much you've been fussing over the slots. It's not as if SLI is necessarily the only reason one would want multiple video cards.

No, but SLI is the only reason one would want a GTX 295. The 295 is what they call "SLI on a stick;" two GPUs on one card, and it would require an OS X driver that supports SLI to work.
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

No, but SLI is the only reason one would want a GTX 295. The 295 is what they call "SLI on a stick;" two GPUs on one card, and it would require an OS X driver that supports SLI to work.

Are you sure about that?

The other x2 cards don't require SLI or Crossfire.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Only if you turn it into a PC based Hackintosh as some have done. But it's not totally compatible that way.

As you could probably tell by the way I worded my query, I had doubts it was possible. Thanks for entertaining my question anyway.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:

Are you sure about that?

The other x2 cards don't require SLI or Crossfire.

They don't require SLI support on the motherboard (unless you want to use two cards for quad-SLI), but they do need a driver that supports it, otherwise it's a card with two DVI ports that each get their own GPU.

I'm not sure how to explain it. If you stick a GTX 295 or a Radeon 4870 X2 in a Windows PC (or a Mac Pro running Windows) and install the latest driver from the GPU manufacturer, you are going to get SLI or Crossfire. It's not dependent on motherboard support like two separate cards would be.

But the OS X Nvidia driver (who writes it? Apple? Nvidia? Both?) probably doesn't have any code for SLI in it. And if it doesn't, then this is just two GPUs connected to a PCIe switch.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    eithaniuseithanius Posts: 7member
    Quote:

PC people do have to put up with this, and over the years, they have put up with this.

Every time a new way of integrating a graphics card into a machine is invented, the new cards won't work (with some exceptions) in old machines.

We can start with the PCI bus. The first implementation of this bus had no graphics slot. The cards went into a PCI slot. Some manufacturers specified which PCI slot, and some didn't. It depended on how many slots were there, among other issues.

When the AGP bus was invented, the new cards that used that couldn't work in a PCI slot. Each time the AGP bus was improved to be wider, most newer cards couldn't work in the older AGP machines. The few that could, ran slower, and usually no faster than the older cards for the slower slots.

When the industry moved to the Express bus, the same thing happened. You couldn't use AGP cards, and the new cards wouldn't work in older machines.

With Express 2, we have an upgraded standard. Like AGP, some cards from the old machines will work in the new machines, but most won't. Most new cards won't work in old machines, but some will.

This is the way the world goes. It's not just Apple.

Don't even talk about the technical side. It disgusts me to see myself buying my Mac Pro at a premium price of $4300+ only to find its technology obsolete 6 months later, with almost an impossibility to sell this beast in a bloody third world country without incurring more for the latest and the greatest. We're talking about a Mac here, so let's not compare Apples and Oranges.

It's different on a PC world which you can easily sell separate components without having to turn in a year-old system and reassemble an entire brand new system just to keep up with technology. Apple components are already expensive compared to PC, and yet we as Mac users are being treated third class in terms of upgradability.
  • Reply 78 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eithanius View Post

Don't even talk about the technical side. It disgusts me to see myself buying my Mac Pro at a premium price of $4300+ only to find its technology obsolete 6 months later, with almost an impossibility to sell this beast in a bloody third world country without incurring more for the latest and the greatest. We're talking about a Mac here, so let's not compare Apples and Oranges.

I don't know what you're talking about. These machines are not obsolete 6 months later, as you seem to think. You're making a very large exaggeration. All machines lose their top tier status as time goes on. But all of my Macs have held up better than competitive PCs have.

The only thing you might have a legit grouse with, is the lack of a choice in graphics cards. That's purely a result of Apple not having enough open machines on the market to sell into, and the lack of awareness on their part that customers want cards that they don't think necessary to supply.

Maybe, if these cards sell well enough, that might change.

Quote:

It's different on a PC world which you can easily sell separate components without having to turn in a year-old system and reassemble an entire brand new system just to keep up with technology. Apple components are already expensive compared to PC, and yet we as Mac users are being treated third class in terms of upgradability.

Again, I have no idea of what you're speaking about.

What "components" are you referring to? Graphics cards? No older graphics card holds its value. Memory? You really try to resell your old memory? You're kidding!

HDDs? You think there's a market for someone's old HDD? For pennies, maybe.

Your old mobo? PC third party mobo's have no resale value, and the ones from Hp, Dell, etc, have none either.

Power supply? A joke, right?

Case? No one will buy a used case, new ones are either too cheap, or are better than whatever you have now.

So what components are you talking about? Your hat? You're talking out of that.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    Quote:

I don't know what you're talking about. These machines are not obsolete 6 months later, as you seem to think. You're making a very large exaggeration. All machines lose their top tier status as time goes on. But all of my Macs have held up better than competitive PCs have.

The only thing you might have a legit grouse with, is the lack of a choice in graphics cards. That's purely a result of Apple not having enough open machines on the market to sell into, and the lack of awareness on their part that customers want cards that they don't think necessary to supply.

Maybe, if these cards sell well enough, that might change.

Again, I have no idea of what you're speaking about.

What "components" are you referring to? Graphics cards? No older graphics card holds its value. Memory? You really try to resell your old memory? You're kidding!

HDDs? You think there's a market for someone's old HDD? For pennies, maybe.

Your old mobo? PC third party mobo's have no resale value, and the ones from Hp, Dell, etc, have none either.

Power supply? A joke, right?

Case? No one will buy a used case, new ones are either too cheap, or are better than whatever you have now.

So what components are you talking about? Your hat? You're talking out of that.

Well that's the thing I'm talking about, since you wanna compare Apples and Oranges with your PCI and AGP analogy, and if you can't comprehend what I've just said, don't...! Because you've just turn the thread upside down with all your pathetic component comparison.

Six months in my perspective... I bought mine for 6 months before they abandoned it for a superior PCI-e v2.... And now Apple's pact with nVidia and ATI does not provide any upgrade option to the 1st gen Mac Pro, simply because the latter only uses PCI-e v2 with EFI64 ROM. AppleCare's not helping either, so I've wrote my case directly to Apple's Customer Care instead, but all I met is silence. Local AASP quoted me $550 for a piece of outdated 8800GT when Apple Store is selling it at an already expensive $279. Imagine 6 months, and you're dead in a water.

This is what I'm talking about... I'm not talking about value, I'm talking about upgradeability options. But if value is what you treasure most, how can that hold up if older Mac Pros are not given any chance of compatibility or upgrade options...? You tell me... am I exaggerating...? And I bet you don't even own one...
  • Reply 80 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eithanius View Post

Well that's the thing I'm talking about, since you wanna compare Apples and Oranges with your PCI and AGP analogy, and if you can't comprehend what I've just said, don't...! Because you've just turn the thread upside down with all your pathetic component comparison.

When you start making silly statements about selling components as you did, then we should see exactly which components you are trying to sell. There are only the few I mentioned. Instead of being so smart about it, you could respond directly.

Quote:

Six months in my perspective... I bought mine for 6 months before they abandoned it for a superior PCI-e v2.... And now Apple's pact with nVidia and ATI does not provide any upgrade option to the 1st gen Mac Pro, simply because the latter only uses PCI-e v2 with EFI64 ROM. AppleCare's not helping either, so I've wrote my case directly to Apple's Customer Care instead, but all I met is silence. Local AASP quoted me $550 for a piece of outdated 8800GT when Apple Store is selling it at an already expensive $279. Imagine 6 months, and you're dead in a water.

This is what I'm talking about... I'm not talking about value, I'm talking about upgradeability options. But if value is what you treasure most, how can that hold up if older Mac Pros are not given any chance of compatibility or upgrade options...? You tell me... am I exaggerating...? And I bet you don't even own one...

You are not the customer for this machine.

This is a commercial workstation, not a consumer machine. Customers for these machines, by and large, keep them for a while, for a specific purpose. They don't worry about upgrades. They buy new ones when the old machine is no longer meeting their needs.

It's also not Apple's fault that you bought the machine 6 months before a new standard for the industry was introduced. Do you feel as though it's only Apple's customers who buy a machine shortly before new machines come out that obsolete them? I'm trying to point out that this happens everywhere, and you just want to pin this on Apple.

We all know that Apple's graphics board selection sucks. Few people here have ever denied that, except for one or two.

I don't see how you're dead in the water though. Not upgrading to a newer board doesn't mean you're dead in the water.

Earlier, I was trying to point out that this is nothing new for the entire industry, but you don't want to hear. You just get nasty when it's pointed out.

You'll bet what? You don't know anything about this site, or the people in it obviously. You certainly don't know anything about me. That's obvious too.