Apple announces App Store downloads top 2 billion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

id like to see some revenue numbers and not analysts guessing in the dark about how much they actually make off the app store. I couldn't care less about thousands of people downloading free fart apps and other garbage.

I too am interested in the revenue numbers, but as paul simon once sang,

'One mans ceiling is another man's floor'

So all those dumb farting, pooping apps, while you and I both consider them garbage, they INDICATE INTEREST and the numbers of downloads correlate in direct proportion to user interest.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beeman60 View Post

I too am interested in the revenue numbers, but as paul simon once sang,

'One mans ceiling is another man's floor'

Unless they are sailors.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

2 billion apps downloaded since the opening of the App Store, yet no improvement in app approval... How sad.

Hey, the whole app store is a work in progress.

Everyone should chill out on this and let Apple work it out.

Think of it this way...try solving a technical solution to an important problem, all the while the world was shouting directly at your face to Hurry The F*** up!!!! It doesn't make things go any faster, and it could cause extra problems.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I find it to be utterly useless. Well, OK, slightly more useful than the "Top Grossing" listing, which is of no help at all to the consumer (although of interest to developers). What would actually be useful is better sub-categorization and a listing of apps by "Top Rated" (weighted by number of ratings and number of reviews would be ideal, but even just being able to always sort by rating descending would be better than "Genius"). It's curious that Apple has not implemented such an obvious way of viewing App listings. I suspect that some of the larger App vendors are leaning on them to make the App store more profitable for them, which also explains the equally curious "Top Grossing" listing which, by its nature, will always be skewed toward higher priced apps, a factor unconnected to quality.

(And, anyone claiming that $.99 apps (or free apps) are killing the App store, consider this a request that you provide some evidence to support that assertion.)

Neither is "Top Grossing" helpful for me.

"Top Rated" query is nice to have, too. But, IMO, such a query doesn't influence directly the number of downloaded applications.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Not quite sure why this is that significant- afterall I bought the beer app yesterday!
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Neither is "Top Grossing" helpful for me.

"Top Rated" query is nice to have, too. But, IMO, such a query doesn't influence directly the number of downloaded applications.

Well, top rated would be quite useful if combined with an Advanced Search that was actually advanced or better categorization. The current categories have simply become too heavily populated to be actually useful.

Obviously, the App store is doing quite well, despite its shortcomings, but, there is still enormous potential for improvement.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Do these numbers include re-downloads for updates? If so, the number of unique downloads of apps would probably be 4-6x lower.

I can't remember where I saw it but it was stated that the reported number did NOT include updates.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:

Well, top rated would be quite useful if combined with an Advanced Search that was actually advanced or better categorization. The current categories have simply become too heavily populated to be actually useful.

It will. It will be useful for us, end-users. It will not double the number of downloaded apps.

Quote:

Obviously, the App store is doing quite well, despite its shortcomings, but, there is still enormous potential for improvement.

I'm not so sure about that. Millions of little useless pieces of shit kill its whole potential. User dissatisfaction is approaching the store.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

User dissatisfaction is approaching the store.

Except that it isn't.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    While everyone seems to be in the mood to insult everyone else, I might as well jump on the bandwagon...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i wish my MBP15

'HAD ITS OWN APP STORE

Only you could be a blind enough fanboy to ever think an App Store for Mac computers would be a good thing. Yep, I'm sure that's what everyone on this forum wants, Apple deciding what software is good enough to run on their own computer. Sorry, no more Firefox, duplicates functionality of Safari. You don't need MS Office or Open Office, OS X provides text editing capabilities and if you need something more the Mac App Store offers iWork. Oh, the fun of living in a completely Apple controlled world!!!
  • Reply 31 of 41
    I myself don't find new apps by trolling through the store itself. The most useful apps are always recommended from many other sources.

This is the same situation for any store. The majority of the items sold are useless to you, but you figure out how to find the one item that is useful to you.

Quote:

I'm not so sure about that. Millions of little useless pieces of shit kill its whole potential. User dissatisfaction is approaching the store.

• Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Except that [user dissatisfaction] isn't [approaching the app store].

How do you know? If I were surveyed, I would report myself as overall "somewhat disatisfied" with the app store based on the continued difficulty of identifying apps for a specific purpose. I suspect that my experience and feelings are not entirely unique. Just because downloads are high, you can't conclude that people are entirely satisfied with the app store.

Of course, it's always possible that improving the App Store could decrease downloads while increasing user satisfaction. (People wouldn't have to download as many apps to find the one they want.) So, high downloads could actually be an indicator of dissatisfaction (rather than the opposite).

Improving the App store could decrease the absolute number of downloads but it could also increase revenues for developers of quality apps. If people could be more certain that an app actually serves their needs, they might be willing to pay more for it. So, developers might not have to price apps at levels that allow people to say, "Well, it's only $2.99, so I haven't wasted that much money if it sucks." It might also make it harder for developers of so called "junk" apps to turn a profit and keep churning out crap. (Not that I think the App Store is overrun by junk; like most platforms, most of the apps are mediocre.)

Of course, Apple also has an interest in playing the numbers game, and maximizing the number of apps and downloads, since most tech journalists aren't all that bright and that's what they focus on.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Only you could be a blind enough fanboy to ever think an App Store for Mac computers would be a good thing. Yep, I'm sure that's what everyone on this forum wants, Apple deciding what software is good enough to run on their own computer. Sorry, no more Firefox, duplicates functionality of Safari. You don't need MS Office or Open Office, OS X provides text editing capabilities and if you need something more the Mac App Store offers iWork. Oh, the fun of living in a completely Apple controlled world!!!

that's jumping to paranoid conclusions. first, it would be very nice to be able to simply run iPhones apps on your desktop like a widget (but how to adapt for trackpad control?). some are much more convenient than their corresponding websites, and then of course there are the games. second, a central install/update/download store for conventional desktop applications would be a real convenience, especially for updates (which are often important). tracking/download services like version tracker are just not that easy to use and don't always work. but assuming Apple would make this the exclusive mandatory source for desktop software is paranoid. the market would not accept that change. it would have to be an option. you could still install applications the old fashioned manual way. but yes it would be very popular.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

While everyone seems to be in the mood to insult everyone else, I might as well jump on the bandwagon...

Huh? I actually thought that his was a pretty good idea!

There are multiple vendors currently for apps with the same functionality. Why wouldn't everyone - say, using the example of browsers, IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari - sell through such an app store?

And, can you please spare us the proforma insults. It just detracts from what you are trying to say.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:

Only you could be a blind enough fanboy to ever think an App Store for Mac computers would be a good thing.

Apple already has an "App Store" for Macs: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:

Apple already has an "App Store" for Macs: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/

That is cool - thanks! I had completely forgotten about that! (Wonder why Apple never even mentions this anymore....)
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That is cool - thanks! I had completely forgotten about that! (Wonder why Apple never even mentions this anymore....)

Well, they probably don't want to encourage the blind fanboys.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saj View Post

Is it so that it will be 4 billion downloads in next quarter????

The rate of acceleration for downloads (as well as app creation) is astounding.

One day Apple will finally offer ALL kinds of software for download via the iTunes app.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Do these numbers include re-downloads for updates? If so, the number of unique downloads of apps would probably be 4-6x lower.

No, as was noted earlier in this thread, this does not include updates. Jobs made it abundantly clear that the 1.8 billion downloads as of Sept. 9, 2009, doesn't include updates and that, if updates were included, the figure would be much greater. Even if updates aren't counted here, the figure could technically still include downloads to multiple iPhones and iPod touches that are managed via the same iTMS account, as well as downloads to the Mac or PC on which iTunes is executed even though the apps themselves don't run on the Mac or PC. None of these potentially redundant downloads adds to the revenue stream. It would be nice if Apple would publish the number of non-free apps purchased.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

User dissatisfaction is approaching the store.

Nice engrish.