MAC Defender variant quickly thwarts Apple's Mac OS X security update

Comments

• Reply 61 of 123
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Once the software was installed, it could have done anything.

Imagine if it had held the user's photos for ransom, deleting an album per day until they pay, or anything other nasty thing you can imagine.

In some ways, the scariest thing about this malware is its naivety. It means the really experienced scumbags have not yet tried on Macs.

The diligent Mac user has Time Machine activated and recently run. Data loss should not be a problem for Mac owners if they spent the extra $50 for a backup disk and let the OS do it's thing.

Professionals augment this with system imaging tools like SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner.

All of these solutions are free and would effectively negate data-hostage situations.
  • Reply 62 of 123
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    What Apple should do is trace down the source and find the people who are behind the malware. If people are being scammed, then their money has to be ending up somewhere in somebody's bank accounts. It can't be that hard to figure out who the culprits are.

Instead of just offering daily updates and checks, solve the root of the problem, kill the scammers. Cut the head off of the snake. Let's say some guy named Igor who is part of the Russian mob is the leader. Go to Russia, kidnap Igor and bring him and his partners back for justice. If he or they resist, then kill them. This would all be done in secret of course.

Some highly skilled mercenaries could solve the minor annoyance that these criminals and scumbags pose. Is it slightly illegal to kill people? Yes it is, but it's worse to scam innocent people than to kill a scumbag in my book.

I recently had a run in with some annoying telephone scammers, and I even ended up contacting the FBI a few months ago. All scammers should be taken out of business, using whatever methods possible. If there was an anti-scammer vigilante that went around and offed these people, I would be rooting for him/her!

They should also shut off parts of the world for all internet traffic and e-commerce. Some countries are just plain garbage.
  • Reply 63 of 123
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

what a good sport. Im impressed.

He's a lot like Jesse Owens.
  • Reply 64 of 123
    ivkivk Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What Apple should do is trace down the source and find the people who are behind the malware. If people are being scammed, then their money has to be ending up somewhere in somebody's bank accounts. It can't be that hard to figure out who the culprits are.

Instead of just offering daily updates and checks, solve the root of the problem, kill the scammers. Cut the head off of the snake. Let's say some guy named Igor who is part of the Russian mob is the leader. Go to Russia, kidnap Igor and bring him and his partners back for justice. If he or they resist, then kill them. This would all be done in secret of course.

Some highly skilled mercenaries could solve the minor annoyance that these criminals and scumbags pose. Is it slightly illegal to kill people? Yes it is, but it's worse to scam innocent people than to kill a scumbag in my book.

I recently had a run in with some annoying telephone scammers, and I even ended up contacting the FBI a few months ago. All scammers should be taken out of business, using whatever methods possible. If there was an anti-scammer vigilante that went around and offed these people, I would be rooting for him/her!

They should also shut off parts of the world for all internet traffic and e-commerce. Some countries are just plain garbage.

You might have a job in the US government with mentality like that.

Much like the drug trade, killing the scammers won't solve anything, another network will replace it overnight. Go after the banks.
  • Reply 65 of 123
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

When the aliens land and hand me what I refer to as the "Magic Invisibility Belt" then I'm yer man. I've been waiting for them a long, long time. It will happen tho' I'm sure. And when it does some people are going to wake up dead.
  • Reply 66 of 123
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

The diligent Mac user has Time Machine activated and recently run. Data loss should not be a problem for Mac owners if they spent the extra $50 for a backup disk and let the OS do it's thing.

Professionals augment this with system imaging tools like SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner.

All of these solutions are free and would effectively negate data-hostage situations.

still not sure why we are suggesting post-problem solutions instead of just avoiding the problem in the first place.

I think not having the headache of ever having to deal with a problem is more desirable then having options of how to deal with the problem after it has already occurred.

It similar to the decision to buy a reliable car in the first place vs buying a car with questionable reliability backed by an extended warranty.
  • Reply 67 of 123
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IVK View Post

Maybe if Apple took security a little more seriously, the entire internet wouldn't be laughing at Apple right now over this. OS X, is the most insecure OS. Not Windows, sorry folks but these are facts. Only reason OS X isn't a target is because we have such little market share, security by obscurity is not a good model. Apple needs to stop with the smug attitude, so do it's users.

"You should have to take a computer test"

"Common sense tells you blah blah blah"

"Walled gardens are better!"

First of all if you think walled gardens are better, just leave America and move to China because obviously you need someone to hold your hand and think for you. Look at what happens throughout history when you give up rights for a false sense of security, you get screwed. We Americans are learning this since 9/11. Second is Microsoft, for all it's faults, actually does take security seriously. If you look at the alerts, more attacks are done on Windows through Adobe products, why? Because Microsoft started taking security seriously in their software. Apple on the other hand treats it like it's a joke, taking months to respond to issues, something leaving patches wide open. I really, REALLY hope Apple gets a brutal virus to slap the smug out of Steve Jobs mouth. He, and a lot of other Apple users, really make me see why people don't like the stereotypical Apple user.

Wow, two credible problems since 1998 on Mac platform versus gazillions for Windows. Yeah, I guess that's infection equality. Those who don't run around saying the sky is falling should live under Communism. Love your logic.

It seems that the only people who care about why Macs have virtually no "medical" problems are those who are pissed off that they don't, and dearly wish they did. Your Steve-hater mentality is more to the point.
  • Reply 68 of 123
    acslater017acslater017 Posts: 424member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

LOL! Do you honestly believe not installing software you know nothing about is anything more than basic common sense?

For people unfamiliar with computers, it can be hard to tell the difference. My girlfriend's co-worker's Dell just got hit with one very similar to this. Basically it tells you that you've been infected with something, then asks you to install such-and-such to get rid of it. Of course, it's designed to look exactly like an official Windows prompt.

People who write on Apple forums are probably already quite familiar with technology matters, but that's obviously not the case for everyone. Your auto mechanic and physician probably think YOU have no common sense either, in terms of their areas of specialty.
  • Reply 69 of 123
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

You might have a job in the US government with mentality like that.

Much like the drug trade, killing the scammers won't solve anything, another network will replace it overnight. Go after the banks.

I don't work for the government, and I would never want to. I enjoy freedom and smoking weed far too much to be working for any government.

You're right about the banks though. The primary banks that are facilitating and helping the crooks should be shut down and the people behind the banks should be prosecuted. I imagine that the banks are outside of the US though, so maybe a massive, continuous, cyber attack could be launched against the guilty banks, rendering their daily operations useless.
  • Reply 70 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Wow, two credible problems since 1998 on Mac platform versus gazillions for Windows. Yeah, I guess that's infection equality. Those who don't run around saying the sky is falling should live under Communism. Love your logic.

It seems that the only people who care about why Macs have virtually no "medical" problems are those who are pissed off that they don't, and dearly wish they did. Your Steve-hater mentality is more to the point.

Do you have selective reading? Even if an vulnerability isn't exploited, Apple still leaves it open and slowly patches these problems. Stop being so defensive about Apple, it's healthy to admit they could take security more seriously. For a company that claims to have the most "secure operating system" they really don't if you look at the whole picture. Is that hard to comprehend?
  • Reply 71 of 123
    Quote:

I don't work for the government, and I would never want to. I enjoy freedom and smoking weed far too much to be working for any government.

You're right about the banks though. The primary banks that are facilitating and helping the crooks should be shut down and the people behind the banks should be prosecuted. I imagine that the banks are outside of the US though, so maybe a massive, continuous, cyber attack could be launched against the guilty banks, rendering their daily operations useless.

I was joking about the government job.

You might check this article out about banks and the spammers.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...ansactions.ars
  • Reply 72 of 123
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Fully agree. As the installed base grows there will be many people with minimal computer experience who, when confronted by a request to install something related to 'security', will not hesitate. They may even think Apple asked them to, or that they 'had to do it'. Why not, Apple is the user friendly, secure computer, right? When an invitation arrives on the screen to protect their computer, why wouldn't they click on the button?

You've pretty much described why I moved to Macs in the first place.

I have plenty of common sense, a good engineering degree, the sort of job you only get if you are switched on, but I just can't be arsed worrying about keeping my computer running efficiently. As far as I'm concerned it should do that for me.
  • Reply 73 of 123
    Quote:

Do you have selective reading? Even if an vulnerability isn't exploited, Apple still leaves it open and slowly patches these problems. Stop being so defensive about Apple, it's healthy to admit they could take security more seriously. For a company that claims to have the most "secure operating system" they really don't if you look at the whole picture. Is that hard to comprehend?

I think we are all wasting our time... and IVK is right.

IVK has convinced me..

That does it.. I am getting rid of all my iPods, iPhones, iPads, iMacs, Macbooks, PowerMacs and Powerbooks. I am going back to running Windows 7 Ultimate on a Netbook and I'm gonna move to the land that has no government just complete freedom of choice..and thus a government which can not be criticized.

In addition, I'm going to go join some Microsoft Windows forums and defend Windows from all the Apple trolls who come to the Windows forums to kick the sand in to the eyes of fearless Windows users.

Thank you IVK for showing me the light. You were right all along.
  • Reply 74 of 123
    Quote:

I think we are all wasting our time... and IVK is right.

IVK has convinced me..

That does it.. I am getting rid of all my iPods, iPhones, iPads, iMacs, Macbooks, PowerMacs and Powerbooks. I am going back to running Windows 7 Ultimate on a Netbook and I'm gonna move to the land that has no government just complete freedom of choice..and thus a government which can not be criticized.

In addition, I'm going to go join some Microsoft Windows forums and defend Windows from all the Apple trolls who come to the Windows forums to kick the sand in to the eyes of fearless Windows users.

Thank you IVK for showing me the light. You were right all along.

You must have been conceived by a weak sperm, clearly your dad was jacking off and your mom sat on him at the last second.
  • Reply 75 of 123
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Isn't that what new Security Update has done?

That's a shortsighted and ignorant comment. Do you really expect people not to use PCs until they are experts at using PCs?

Apparently, Microsoft does. You have to practically be a Microsoft Certified Engineer to use a Windows PC. And yes, if you let your family use Windows, you are effectively the IT guy for the household. Ever try explaining Windows Safe Mode to grandma?
  • Reply 76 of 123
    wow.. you must be a mind reader.. Im impressed. I have to admit.. I don't know much about you.

All I know is you are wise and have great motivation to come to an Apple forum tells us how great Microsoft Windows is and how bad Apple products are. Thanks for the enlightenment. Mission accomplished.

Still trying to figure out what would motivate a person to do this.. oh great Microsoft Crusader. Maybe I can learn from you oh wise one.
  • Reply 77 of 123
    Quote:

wow.. you must be a mind reader.. Im impressed. I have to admit.. I don't know much about you.

All I know is you are wise and have great motivation to come to an Apple forum tells us how great Microsoft Windows is and how bad Apple products are. Thanks for the enlightenment. Mission accomplished.

Still trying to figure out what would motivate a person to do this.. oh great Microsoft Crusader. Maybe I can learn from you oh wise one.

I am confident to say I am far wiser than you, because you're taking this way to seriously. You think because I said Apple could be taking security more seriously that I'm saying Windows is so great and OS X is far inferior. False. Grow up. God forbid I have an opinion, I'm sorry I'll make sure to plug into the matrix and think that Apple does no wrong and Microsoft does nothing but evil. Fuck was I thinking? I guess I forgot the motto ignorance is bliss.

I never once said those things, I said Microsoft has done a great job taking security seriously compared to what they used to be, and they have. They've implemented measures that Apple is just now getting around to adding. They patch flaws monthly, they let people/system admins know what is coming. Does Apple? No, they need to change this. This is one of many reasons they never made any dent in the enterprise market with OS X.

Is Windows still attacked? Constantly, but that's the price that you pay for having 90% market share, I can't imagine what our ecosystem would be like if we had 90% market share with the way patching vulnerabilities is handled. We'd probably have an entire market for security software too.
  • Reply 78 of 123
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

I'm sorry to be offensive, but I have a real problem with people giving up their rights in defense of security. It's happens over and over again in history, and the outcome is always bad.

All I'm trying to say is, downloading is a basic right in a free and open internet. There are benefits to using the App Store for downloads, but I would rather apple just implement a basic malware scanner that works system-wide (as it looks like they are trying to do), rather then force people to download through only one method.

Until:

(1) Every mac app is available in the app store

(2) Apple drops the whole commission thing, which is squeezing developers out of the store (like Adobe is going to drop 30% of their profits on photoshop?)

the the app store idea is a poor approach. Maybe at some point it make sense, but we're not there yet.

Who said anything about giving up rights? I think people should have the option of the walled garden approach and the open approach. There are benefits to both approaches. To not acknowledge that is disingenuous. People should have the option of choosing what's best for them and when it's best for them on their mac laptops and computers.
  • Reply 79 of 123
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apparently, Microsoft does. You have to practically be a Microsoft Certified Engineer to use a Windows PC. And yes, if you let your family use Windows, you are effectively the IT guy for the household. Ever try explaining Windows Safe Mode to grandma?

1) Several years ago I implemented a strict no more Windows policy among family and friends that relied upon me for support. All current Windows-based systems were grandfathered in but all new PCs had to Macs. Despite ample moaning everyone is happy with the change.

2) I was in a UPS store today and the Win7 PC was so bogged down that IE took minute(s) to load a pages despite the internet being a commercial "high-speed connection. I had one PDF from Shure to print! I was going to offer my services for a free mail box since I'm a box holder but I was so frustrated with the experience that I'm only now remembering.
  • Reply 80 of 123
    Quote:

I am confident to say I am far wiser than you, because you're taking this way to seriously. You think because I said Apple could be taking security more seriously that I'm saying Windows is so great and OS X is far inferior. False. Grow up. God forbid I have an opinion, I'm sorry I'll make sure to plug into the matrix and think that Apple does no wrong and Microsoft does nothing but evil. Fuck was I thinking? I guess I forgot the motto ignorance is bliss.

I never once said those things, I said Microsoft has done a great job taking security seriously compared to what they used to be, and they have. They've implemented measures that Apple is just now getting around to adding. They patch flaws monthly, they let people/system admins know what is coming. Does Apple? No, they need to change this. This is one of many reasons they never made any dent in the enterprise market with OS X.

Is Windows still attacked? Constantly, but that's the price that you pay for having 90% market share, I can't imagine what our ecosystem would be like if we had 90% market share with the way patching vulnerabilities is handled. We'd probably have an entire market for security software too.

No, I think you are great actually.. You are a Saint on a Crusade to educate all those who are ignorant.. like myself. I can not thank you enough for your selfless motivations and persistence to educate others and bring them up to your level of wisdom and enlightenment. Bless you.